The Motors (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
49fc3118-6bee-4e93-a089-be3d66450eeb.jpg

The Motors formed in 1977 and were a British pub rock/punk band. They had a hit with "Airport" in 1978 and made 3 Studio albums. They were very underestimated and had limited success and then changed direction for their 3rd album had a minor hit single and then split up in 1982.

Band Members:

Nick Garvey - lead vocalist / guitarist.
Bram Tchaikovsky - guitarist / vocalist.
Andy McMaster - bassist/keyboardist/vocalist.
Ricky Slaughter - drummer.

Albums:

The Motors 1977

51lRvkP0s2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Approved By The Motors 1978

515sDvbbuaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tenement Steps 1980

41v8nEN7X-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Airport

Dancing The Night Away

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I was impressed by THE MOTORS I heard "Dancing the night away" on a John Peel radio session and thought it was brilliant and bought the single. Then they released "Airport" which I hated. Ironic because it was a massive hit for them
Not seen an album by THE MOTORS in years....
Hey Sweaty did you know 2 of the guys in the band Garvey and McMaster were in 70s band DUCKS DELUXE who made a few albums.
Heres a good track" phoney heaven"

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I also loved the John Peel session version of Dancing the Night Away. I've got the album version, but found it disappointing (although it was produced by Mutt Lange) and have not been able to track down John Peel's session track. The Motors were a really good live band and the lead guitarist, Bram Tchaikovsky, had his own excellent hard rock band. The Bram Tchaikovsky albums may not have been released on CD, although I could be wrong.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I was going to mention that Big Ears. The session version sounded a lot better than the "single". Produced by Mutt Lange. ?....I also learn something new every day cheers :grinthumb
Are you familiar with DUCKS DELUXE ? I always remembered the name but never heard their music....

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Yes, Mutt produced the Motors' first album, but he tended to sanitise them. Apparently, John Peel was also disappointed with the album and therefore lost interest in the band. I am aware of Ducks Deluxe, but I have never heard any of their albums or seen them live. Associated groups like Dave Edmunds' Rockpile, Graham Parker and the Rumour and Brinsley Schwarz were all good, but different from the Motors who were heavier. Bram Tchaikovsky was heavier still.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Before this was Ducks Deluxe, and on the back of the New Wave movement... The Motors were formed, Mutt Lange was at the console (Bad Company, Ozzy, Gabriel etc..) they weren't punk at all-Dancing The Night Away (long version).... is the door kicker - if you're not familiar - things softened with 12 months and the well polished Airport stands well even today.
Emergency.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online