The Mamas & The Papas (Official Thread)

The_US100

Reaction score
If there's any Mamas & Papas fans out there, you may be interested in a short interview I was able to secure with Jill Gibson, short lived member of the band in 1966, as part of my personal project.

Exclusive: former member of The Mamas & the Papas, Jill Gibson, speaks to the US100 - The US100

I think her perspective can often be lost when people discuss this period of time. It must have been highly surreal considering the emotional turmoil, excessive drug use, celebrity and fandom etc.

Nice lady

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
If there's any Mamas & Papas fans out there, you may be interested in a short interview I was able to secure with Jill Gibson, short lived member of the band in 1966, as part of my personal project.

Exclusive: former member of The Mamas & the Papas, Jill Gibson, speaks to the US100 - The US100

I think her perspective can often be lost when people discuss this period of time. It must have been highly surreal considering the emotional turmoil, excessive drug use, celebrity and fandom etc.

Nice lady
Interesting article. Never knew that they had a a different singer at that time. Thanks :grinthumb

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
From wikipedia:
It remains unclear whose vocals appear on The Mamas & the Papas as released on August 30, 1966. Gibson says she sang all but two songs.
Studio documents appear to show that Michelle Phillips had already recorded six songs for the album in April 1966, including the singles "I Saw Her Again" and "Words of Love".
Lou Adler has said, "We recorded Jill on six songs ... got six vocal performances out of her, which we later replaced, some of 'em."
Michelle Phillips has said that she does not know who is singing on the album: "There's no way to know who sang on what, because we both sang on all the parts, and it was up to Bones [Howe] and Lou [Adler] and John [Phillips] what was in the final mix. And they had a lot to choose from! When you listen to the second album ... listen to it ... because I swear I don't have any idea who's singing on it."

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Fetched this offa the racks-
John Phillips, Ollie Brown, Chris Spedding, Keith, Ron and Mick.
Sadly the album got shelved.... but some bright spark polished up the masters and I bought a bootleg in Camden...( A hit waiting to happen)
John Phillips - Mr. Blue.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.