"The Dark Horse of Soul" Bill Withers

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Bill Withers

billwitherstest.jpg

I have a thing for older soul music and it's the one genre I stick with the originals. Todays R&B is so watered down and lacks the soul it started with. Their are no Marvin Gayes, Stevie Wonders and there are no Bill Withers. About a year ago I was browsing and I saw a name that I didn't know was connected to so many GREAT songs. I mean let's get to the point!

Who doesn't love
Ain't No Sunshine?

Who doesn't love
Lean On Me?

Grandmas Hands?

Lovely Day?

Just The Two of Us?

Classic pure soul music that continues to stay relevant and influential! Nuf' said! :grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

runtfan

Reaction score
Re: Bill Withers

Yeah, Bill Withers is great ( or was - R.I.P.). In addition to the tunes you mentioned, another great one is "Use Me".

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score

Bill Withers

billwitherstest.jpg

I have a thing for older soul music and it's the one genre I stick with the originals. Todays R&B is so watered down and lacks the soul it started with. Their are no Marvin Gayes, Stevie Wonders and there are no Bill Withers. About a year ago I was browsing and I saw a name that I didn't know was connected to so many GREAT songs. I mean let's get to the point!

Who doesn't love
Ain't No Sunshine?

Who doesn't love
Lean On Me?

Grandmas Hands?

Lovely Day?

Just The Two of Us?

Classic pure soul music that continues to stay relevant and influential! Nuf' said! :grinthumb

Thanks man for posting something on IMO a unsung legend in Bill Withers. "Lean on Me" is one of he most recongnized songs in the history in pop music. Most people have never heard of him. Not to mention he wrote all his own songs.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah, Bill Withers is great ( or was - R.I.P.). In addition to the tunes you mentioned, another great one is "Use Me".

Are you sure he is dead??!! According to DeadorAlive.com...he is alive and lives in Los Angeles and celebrated his 71st birthday July 4, 2009.

Bill Withers is a soul legend :tup: He is also a songwriting legend. He has written music for many many artists including Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Joe Cocker, Mick Jagger, and his songwritings have crossed almost every music genre.

runtfan

Reaction score

Are you sure he is dead??!! According to DeadorAlive.com...he is alive and lives in Los Angeles and celebrated his 71st birthday July 4, 2009.

Well, as far as I can tell, after surfing around a little...you're right - he seems to be alive and well. I could have sworn he had died many years ago ( in the 90's it seemed to me). I don't know who I was thinking of then. Oh well, all the better...sorry about that,Bill:blush:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

no problem! I have my moments, too :) As you may or may not know, I have dyslexia, and read/type/write things in reverse or scrambles...so I have to be careful when reading or writing. I misread things all the time :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Never commented by the way on the other tracks but they're great. Love Hope She'll Be Happier! It gives me goosebumps! :grinthumb

I've been listening to some tracks that aren't on my Greatest Hits comp. and I'm liking this guy more and more. Marvin Gaye will always be my favorite in the soul genre but I'm starting to think Mr. Withers is a close second. Here's another great track I've discovered for myself:

I Can't Write Left-Handed(live audio 1973)
(really soulful, sang with conviction, nice gospel like harmonies, powerful war piece)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Very cool thread Sooty!! I just did a poll on with Bill included before I seen this...how wierd :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.