The Cult (Official Thread)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Re: The Cult

The singer is Ian Astbury. He is a great singer, but from what I've read, somewhat hard to deal with. Prima donna or so it seems.

Early:
IanAstbury.jpg

Recent:
IAN%20ASTBURY.jpg
Wow, that second pic looks nothing like him. I saw The Cult just about two years ago and at that time Ian still looked very much like the top photo (and he was still pretty skinny). But he did sort of have an attitude. Everything was fine throughout most of the show and he was singing away and dancing it up and he even threw a few tamborines into the crowd, but when a few drunks up front began to cause trouble he abruptly ended the show after a few warnings from him earlier went unheeded. Everyone thought they were just at the end of their set and were going to come out for an encore or two, but they never came out. The M.C. just came out and basically said, "show's over, folks". But Billy Duffy was awesome, as was their new drummer. :drummin:

gguerra

Reaction score

Just a side note on Ian Astbury. He is/was the lead singer for "The Doors of the 21st Century". The Doors reunion and they have a DVD which I own. Here it is http://www.amazon.com/Doors-21st-Century-L-Woman/dp/B0002A2W3Q

It is a pretty good show I must say, If you like the Doors. and Ian although he is British did a pretty good rendition of Jim Morrison

rtbuck

Reaction score

The Cult
Date: 7/10/09

Unfortunately,I had to leave after 7 songs of the Cult because of my back problems but here's what I witnessed at the show:

My wife & I arrived at the outdoor show at around 7PM & the opening band,Parlour Mob,took the stage.I never heard them but they put on a great set that ran about 45 minutes.Their music was kind of a heavy Sabbath/Zeppelin sound which fit in well with the atmosphere of the outdoor event.After seeing them live I'll definitely be picking up their CD.

At about 9PM the sounds of the "Title Music From a Clockwork Orange" (by Walter Carlos) filled the air & onstage walked the Cult
As the intro music faded the spotlight was on Billy Duffy as he struck the first chords of "'Lil Devil" from their classic 'Electric' album.
As the tune kicked in vocalist Ian Astbury walked out from behind the side of the drum riser & the electrified crowd went crazy. The band sounded phenominal & Astbury looked & performed cool as hell onstage. Sticking with the 'Electric' album,the 2nd tune the band played was "Electric Ocean". The highlight of the show for me came when the band rocked the hell out of "I Assassin" from their 2007 album 'Born Into This'. A couple of other tunes the band did while I was at the show were "Rain" & "Sweet Soul Sister".

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Sounded like an "Electric" evening if you excuse the pun, shame you had to leave the show, they are awesome live and always sound good, I love The Phoenix from Love album.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I thought Dreamtime was a great album...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
The Cult

I am going to see The Cult next month. I was in LUST with Ian Astbury when I was a kid and always wanted to see him. Now he is probably a middle aged geezer :tongue:

I am still attracted to "bad" boys with long hair but have learned to look but don't touch :heheh:

foreverblue

Reaction score

I am going to see The Cult next month. I was in LUST with Ian Astbury when I was a kid and always wanted to see him. Now he is probably a middle aged geezer :tongue:

I am still attracted to "bad" boys with long hair but have learned to look but don't touch :heheh:

its ok i saw a recent picture... and i think they have cut their long locks

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I don't think there's any 'probably' about it :D He's not aged badly though...

28qrgr5.jpg

The Cult are great, you'll have a fab time :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online