The Cult (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
the-cult-band-1989.jpg

The Cult Official Website
Cult Central

Of course they started earlier that 1984 as the Death Cult and Southern Death Cult. What a great band, very much looked on as a goth band when they started and then came the Love album, one of my all time fave albums. Billy Duffy plays a mean guitar. I have seen them in action a few times and they are always tight and Ian Astbury has a unique voice. Still making top music too and touring, you must catch them if you can.

Albums:

Dreamtime (1984)
Love (1985)
Electric (1987)
Sonic Temple (1989)
Ceremony (1991)
The Cult (1994)
Beyond Good and Evil (2001)
Born into This (2007)
Choice of Weapon (2012)

Southern Death Cult

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Cult

Don't have any albums by these guys Sweaty,,,from what I've read "Electric" seems to be one of their best...any thoughts?

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Electric is superb LG so is Love and Sonic Temple and when I am in the mood Dream Time is a great listen as well.

gguerra

Reaction score

Actually seen them twice recently

Here are some favorites.. The band seems to have an AC/DC feel to it.. Just good old fashioned rock and roll

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Thanks for the videos gguerra, Electric has a more raw sound, however Love is still my fave, just around the time Iwas homeless and wearing winkle pickers and being chased by mods and skinheads..ahh the days.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I think "Sonic Temple" might be my favorite with "Electric" coming in second. I really like The Cult. They've got a cool sound that I can respect. Their guitar work unique and well done and I really like the singer's tone of voice (who's name I don't know).

This is by far my favorite song by them...

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Don't have any albums by these guys Sweaty,,,from what I've read "Electric" seems to be one of their best...any thoughts?
Electric and Sonic Temple were both very popular commercially, but in my not so humble opinion Love is their best album overall. It is a very guitar-oriented record and has outstanding riffs, melodies and solos throughout. I also think the producer(s) and engineer(s) captured the acoustics of the studio to perfection on this album. But I'll let you be the judge of that. ;)

One of my favorite alternative bands out of the 80's for sure! :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

The mentioned albums are the ones to get first - there are a couple of good compilations/boxes out too though...

I caught them live last fall and they were great, really tight. Duffy was a monster on the guitar - quite underrated player.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

I think "Sonic Temple" might be my favorite with "Electric" coming in second. I really like The Cult. They've got a cool sound that I can respect. Their guitar work unique and well done and I really like the singer's tone of voice (who's name I don't know).

The singer is Ian Astbury. He is a great singer, but from what I've read, somewhat hard to deal with. Prima donna or so it seems.

Early:
IanAstbury.jpg

Recent:
IAN%20ASTBURY.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepaul

Members online