The Beatle Remasters

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I don’t really intend any of these posts to cover artistic or historic matters, though I may not be able to resist making those sorts of observations on occasion as I go through the catalog. I’m really primarily reporting on the sound of these new remasters, and even then, only as they compare to the originally issued CDs. I don’t have the time or even the resources to do any comparisons to LPs, as I only have a small handful of those any longer.

I should also say from the outset that I personally think the stereo versions of these discs are the way to go. I don’t have the new mono releases on hand to compare them to, but some of the additional clarity I’m hearing between these new stereo discs and the old mono ones must surely be attributable to the fact that there are two sources of sound now. There are simply some things I’m hearing now that I never heard before, because they were buried within the rest of the single-channel mix.

So here we go, in order of album issue.

Please Please Me (1963)

beatlespleasef.jpg

beatlespleaseb.jpg

1 – "I Saw Her Standing There"

The original mono release of this song starts with a noticeable low-frequency hum underlying everything. It’s easily heard, since the track begins with Paul shouting out the beat, so the hum doesn’t get hidden behind the band’s instruments for the first couple of seconds. Well, that hum is now gone in the new version. Also, in what seems to be something of a paradox, the bass part is not as loud as before, but at the same time it’s easier to hear compared to the rest of the instruments. Maybe it’s because it isn’t quite as boomy as before and that makes it seem better articulated and easier to follow. It’s like I’m hearing actual musical notes now, where before it was more of a muddy kind of mess. I had never really paid much attention to Paul’s bass playing until late in the band’s career, where songs like Oh! Darling and Octopus’s Garden made you sit up and take notice of the bass part. This song shows he was playing interesting bass parts as early as this, their first LP.

Also, Paul’s vocal has, to my ears, a much more easily heard textural element that the original lacked. It has a three-dimensional quality that was lacking before, as though it’s a more “rounded” tone. It’s hard to describe to anyone who isn’t used to this sort of discussion, but it’s like the difference between seeing a flat, two-dimensional photograph and seeing something in the flesh, so to speak. I know this will make no sense to many people, but it’s like I can hear the “sides” of his voice as well as the “front.” I suspect what it really comes down to is now I can hear a little more texture in the wavefront of his voice – the leading edge of the sound we make and how it’s different from the sound we make when we’re in the middle of a sustained tone. Whatever the cause, the effect is a little extra realism, as though he were one step closer to being in the room with you.

Overall, there’s a greater clarity to the recording all around. Those same effects benefit all of the band’s parts. Ringo’s drumming is more easily picked out of the mix, and while I always knew on some level that there were hand claps in the recording, they actually startled me a little when I listened to the new version for the first time.

This song also points up an interesting phenomenon I heard as I gave a first quick listen to all the albums. There are many times when some people are likely to say that the only difference is that the levels of the new releases have been goosed a little. That might be true, or it may simply be the result of changes in compression and the greater dynamic range that many of the songs now have. But in this particular song’s case, it almost seems as though the overall level has been decreased instead of increased. It’s possible it may just be a psycho-acoustic effect from the added clarity of the sound, too.

2 – "Misery"

The thing I noticed most about this track is that the stereo effect makes it much easier to hear that there are two guitars in the mix, one in the right channel and one in the left. They were getting jumbled together in the mono version, and in fact, the guitar in the introduction I had never even noticed before, as it had been buried behind the keyboard part and the opening vocal. The vocals are clearer as well. These are typical of the improvements I’ve been hearing across the board for the most part.

3 – "Anna (Go to Him)"

Changes are similar to track 2, plus there’s more of that increased “textural” element to John’s vocal, similar to what I noted about Paul’s vocal in track 1.

4 – "Chains"

More of the same improvements. It’s especially nice to be able to hear the jangly quality of the guitars now.

5 – "Boys"

At the risk of being repetitive (there’s going to be a lot of that as I go through this and the other albums, I think), it’s once more a situation where added clarity and texture make it feel much more like the band is in the same room with you. Ringo’s voice here definitely benefits from the additional texture. It reminds me of some of the pickup band singing I’ve heard (and participated in) over the years – where no one is likely to have a really good, professional-quality singing voice. Just a bunch of guys getting together to play simple, but fun music.

6 – "Ask Me Why"

Ringo’s rim shots are much more easily heard, and some of the more complex guitar strumming is evident in the left channel (something commonly heard on their songs that were in standard rocker rhythms).

7 – "Please Please Me"

Overall, similar improvements here, too.

8 – "Love Me Do"

This track, and the following one, are in mono, as the mono masters were all the engineers had to work with for this project. Because of that, the differences between these two tracks and their original counterparts are very small. In fact, the best way to hear them is to listen to the new versions first, and then go back to the old ones. Even then, the differences will be very subtle, and may not be easily heard on some systems. In both cases I’d say the difference is just a very tine bit of added clarity in the sound.

9 – "P.S. I Love You"

See my comments about track 8, “Love Me Do,” above.

10 – "Baby It’s You"

Again, there’s this hard-to-describe 3-dimensional quality that let’s you feel like you’re getting “inside” the recording. The vocals here particularly benefit from it.

11 – "Do You Want to Know a Secret"

George’s vocal is very distinctive now, and easily identifiable.

12 – "A Taste of Honey"

The arpeggiated (is that a word?) chords behind the vocal during the verses is something I had never noticed before. Going back to the original, I hear them, but definitely not as distinctly. Just one more example of being better able to hear “into” the music now.

13 – "There’s a Place"

Similar improvements all around.

14 – "Twist and Shout"

This song benefits a *lot* in my opinion, from the additional clarity. A full-force, straight-ahead, in-your-face shouting rocker, you can now hear instrumental and vocal details that weren’t evident before. That “textural” thing is going on again with the vocal, which is especially interesting because of the forced nature of John’s singing and the fact that it was at the end of the recording day. After all the other singing, and the takes that were required for this song, his voice was almost shredded by the time they stopped tape.

Overall, it's a much clearer picture of a talented group doing interesting things with compositions and arrangements, and doing them with simple (almost crude by today's standards) instruments and recordings, but the quality is like it was just done yesterday.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Great informative post Craig.:bow:

I saw the collected Mono recordings in my travels and always wondered why anyone would want them instead of the stereo versions...:dunno:

I will always want the Best the producers/engineers can come up with. I think the powers that be realize there are some us us that can Tell when they just boost the mid-range and pass it off as remastered now, and really the Beatles legacy deserves better than that.

I will play my albums as you go through the discography, although I can't compare anything until Sgt. Peppers, that is where my old CD collection starts.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
The mono versions are what the Beatles cared about. My understanding is the group had little to do with the stereo versions.

I'll be honest, the new versions take a bit of getting used to. After having lived with the originals the remasters sound a be harsh at times. It might just be because of the added information I'm hearing.

Two minutes and I get to clock out at work. Later.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You might be right about them caring about the mono versions Shadow, I have not delved into the early years enough to have an opinion.

I will use my DSP to "Soften" the remasters if I think they are a little harsh, but as Craig has pointed out the "Clarity" is far superior and I have always tried to get the best quality of signal possible whether analog or digital.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I rebought the Beatles again...:heheh:

I have all the new Stereo remasters..I think they are wonderful!! :grinthumb

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
With the Beatles (1963)

beatleswithf.jpg

beatleswithb.jpg

In general, the improvements are similar to PPM, but the stereo effect is a little more primitive-sounding on this album, and is considerably more like the old Capitol records stereo where all instruments were in one channel and all vocals were in the other. Here I hear a little more bleed-through on the drum tracks, but it’s still a pretty isolated setup for the most part. While it makes it easier to hear detail, it makes for a little less satisfactory musical listening experience.

As a side note, this album was their last one in which they were limited to using 2-track recorders, and the resultant generational losses that accompany multiple overdubs on such limited equipment.

Since many of the audible changes are similar from one track to the next, I’m only going to comment on things that really pop out at me this time.

1 – "It Won’t Be Long"
2 – "All I’ve Got to Do"
3 – "All My Loving"

It’s easier to hear the rapid-fire guitar strumming, and Paul’s vocal is stripped of what had sounded like an artificially boosted lower midrange bloom. The leaner vocal sound is much more natural, IMO.

4 – "Don’t Bother Me"

I always enjoy the textural differences between George's voice and the others, and they're evident on this song, which is also the first Harrison composition recorded by the group.

5 – "Little Child"
6 – "Till There Was You"
7 – "Please Mr. Postman"

This was one of my favorite tracks of theirs from back when I first heard it as a kid. On the remaster the kickdrum is much tighter and less boomy than before. In general, much cleaner sound.

8 – "Roll Over Beethoven"

The opening guitar solo has more body to it. The old one sounded a little tinny, lacking much of any midrange presence, making it sound almost like a toy. The new one has more mids and considerably better overall sound. Also the handclaps are now much more audible than they were before.

9 – "Hold Me Tight"

This will sound repetitive, but this track, like many, just allows for a more detailed hearing of the music, simply because the sounds aren’t all layered on top of one another in a single channel. Between that and a little more bottom end extension, the whole song has a much greater and almost visceral impact that the original CD lacked.

10 – "You Really Got a Hold on Me"

I had no idea that the opening bar’s theme was doubled – it’s played simultaneously on piano (by George Martin) and guitar and I had never heard that before. I think the right channel is a guitar - to be honest, I need to hear it on my stereo where I can play with the balance to isolate it from the piano to be sure. I can't do that on the computer.

11 – "I Wanna Be Your Man"
12 – "Devil in Her Heart"

This one is a good example of how much more real the drums can sound. I don’t think they were boosted in the mix, because their relative volume sounds about the same to me, but they’re more easily heard and sound more three-dimensional.

13 – "Not a Second Time"

This one’s really interesting. I had thought for many, many years that it was drums, bass and piano, and there were no guitars, but now I think I hear the shimmer of an acoustic being strummed in the background. Also, at the completion of the first verse, just before the piano solo begins, you can distinctly, if faintly, hear someone shout a “whoo!” I love finding that kind of thing. It happens at 0:48 if you want to listen for it.

14 – "Money (That’s What I Want)"

This one goes back to separation of instruments between the two tracks. The opening piano is in the right channel, while the low growl of the electric guitar is doubling it in the left. In the mono mix, at least as it was on the first CD issue, they get jumbled together so neither one can be heard well. Also, on this track John’s vocal is back in the center, where lead vocals tend to sound best.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
These are all great and I love the way you're laying this out Craig!! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll check those out tomorrow Shadow thanks.:tup:

Craig I agree with my buddy MP, you are doing a fabulous job. I have one request though...Only one review a day please, let's kick the albums around a bit before you post the next in line...just a suggestion if you are feeling Inspired or limited for time then I understand if you are in a hurry.;)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I heard the same story about the Mono versions of the songs being superior, though I think Mr. Shadow influenced that decision, however I definitely heard on radio that they were excited about the Mono recordings being released because that was how they were meant to be according to them - and cause they were an AM based station it gave them more reason to be excited cause they were saying about how a band would of sound on 60s radio - back then Mono versions were used. These days if a song is in Stereo and the Radio Station is AM based they would use a Stero to Mono Converter to get all the sound and because their using the Stereo version of the song it never sounds quite right - which is primarily the reason for using Mono with Mono. :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online