The Bass Players Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Hello Gang!! I looked for a thread just for the Bass alone and didn't see one.. So I'm starting this thread on behave of all us Bass Players on the forum..

So go looking for your favorite Bass Solo's or just talk about the guys out there who have made an impression over the years playing the Bass!!

Discuss and enjoy ALL THING BASS!!

tumblr_lc6zidBEsb1qa8ig8o1_400.jpg

Bass_Player_2.gif

Abraham+Laboriel.jpg
geddy-lee-rush-lr.jpg

BassPlayer2.jpg1fl.jpg

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Mean and Nasty Rob Trujillo~

Geddy doing some Bass work...

Last edited:

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
All bass players, that played in Uriah Heep will be my inspiration in terms of bass playing. Paul Newton, Gary Thain and Trevor Bolder - all of them are the best bass harmonisers I have ever heard.

Gary Thain nails on 11 minutes track Why...

...Paul Newton on Simon The Buller Freak...

...and Trevor Bolder on July Morning.

Very underrated bass players IMO and people shall be burned, if they won't agree with me.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks for contributing Nololob.. I have a few Uriah Heep albums that I rarely listen too because of shamefull fidelity issues.. But I will listen to each one of your video's entirely, and post a response.. Harmonics are very nice.. Jaco was really good at using them and later I'll post some of his harmonics works.. But gotta run so I'll check back with you later..:cheers2

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I love the harmonics on bass, I wish I can play the same technique. Though I need to improve music theory first, it really does help me in learning to play bass even quicker. And I'd say despite the fact Uriah Heep is a (advanced/very) melodic band, their songs are the best way to train aural skills.

However I do have some other favourites, Gerry McAvoy (Rory Gallagher)
5110276020_a38e6c423b.jpg
Ian Hill (Judas Priest)
220px-Priest_feast_36_-_Ian_Hill.jpg
Roger Glover (Deep Purple)
rogerglover.jpg
and of course Pete Agnew (Nazareth)
agnew1.jpg

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Excellent picks one and all. I was invited to join and play bass in my friends Heavy Rock/ Blues band last night. Haven't played much in a couple years now so I'm a bit rusty but very excited ......

Three of my all time favorites :
geezer-butler-black-sabbath-birthday-july-17-a.jpg

Geezer

chris-squire-corbis-530-85.jpg
Chris Squire

Lemmy++Kilmister.jpg

Lemmy

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
All bass players, that played in Uriah Heep will be my inspiration in terms of bass playing. Paul Newton, Gary Thain and Trevor Bolder - all of them are the best bass harmonisers I have ever heard.

Gary Thain nails on 11 minutes track Why...

...Paul Newton on Simon The Buller Freak...

...and Trevor Bolder on July Morning.

Very underrated bass players IMO and people shall be burned, if they won't agree with me.

Nololob.. I pulled out my Uriah Heep "Wizards" LP to give it a spin and noticed a huge deep scratch across side two.. I wanted to check out "Why" on the big boy system..:uh:
Anyways.. I have to say that I enjoy the styles of the Bass players back in the early 70's.. They do more work on the neck and add alot more notes and variations in octives..
When I was your age I got into some Uriah and bought this album...
51gpogUlE-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This would be the second John Wetton and Byrons last album with the band..
But it was different for me and I really didn't like it too much so it didn't get played much..

As for this thread I would also like to invite others to share their gear if they want. Pictures of your Basses and descriptions of set ups are very much welcome.. I would even include any Bass tabs you might want to contribute..

Here's something I want to contribute.. This is how to play Led Zeppelins "Ramble On" on Bass..But I also learned how to play it which is easier on the Twelth Fret.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
^^ The track "Why" is not on the LP. It's better to get Expanded Edition of Demons And Wizards on CD.
John Wetton is a good bass player, I love his work on Wishbone Ash album "Just Testing". But as you said, High And Mighty is a different album, so is Return To Fantasy, it's due to Byron's alcohol problems. But I dig HAM more than RTF.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Mark Sandman

MarkSandmanMorphine.jpg

September 24, 1952 / July 3, 1999

"I don't know why I picked this bass, maybe 'cause it was so... freaky lookin', I suppose."

~Mark Sandman~

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Mark Sandman

MarkSandmanMorphine.jpg

September 24, 1952 / July 3, 1999

"I don't know why I picked this bass, maybe 'cause it was so... freaky lookin', I suppose."

~Mark Sandman~

Garrett.. I was trying to make out what kind of bass he was playing.. Sorta looked like a Rich or Warwick Bass but I couldn't tell..
I can see why he called the band "Morphine".. Pretty dark stuff there..:heheh: You know your gear and musicians so I'm glad you joined in..

Nololob wrote:
The track "Why" is not on the LP. It's better to get Expanded Edition of Demons And Wizards on CD.
John Wetton is a good bass player, I love his work on Wishbone Ash album "Just Testing". But as you said, High And Mighty is a different album, so is Return To Fantasy, it's due to Byron's alcohol problems. But I dig HAM more than RTF.

I figured it wasn't on the Lp because I didn't see it.. I was going to play it, but was really bummed when I saw that huge scratch. So I just put it away..
Uriah to me is a personal taste.. They have so many albums out there and I wouldn't know where to start. I have Wizards and a Best of LP.. I'm sure I have a couple more tucked somewhere in my collection..

So ...... Here's a picture of my current gear..I'm no stage musician but I do have fun in the mancave with these toys..

:oy:

Gear.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online