The 26 Greatest Music Videos of All Time...

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
...or at least according to me and the bazillion factors I took into account.

26. Breaking The Habit- Linkin Park

I realize that Linkin Park is a band that is beyond hated here so I'd like to start by saying that I don't give two shits about your opinion of how much you think they suck.
This is the only fully animated music video to make this list and that is because it is the most fantastic animated music video I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. Drawing heavily from Japanese animation the overall look of the video is gritty and frantic, as if the animators who worked on "A Scanner Darkly" drew up this video while wacked out on speed. The images are abrasive and quite dark and include intense themes such as drug addiction, murder, and suicide.

25. All The Things You Said- t.A.T.u.

This video comes to us from the Russian north. Not only is this video great but it deals with a message that I hold very near and dear (which is why it makes the list)....also it has two attractive girls kiss and that caused quite a stir worldwide which only gave the video more attention.
The two ladies of t.A.T.u. pretend to be lesbians lovers as a sort of gimmick and that is what the video is about. The two women appear to be locked behind a fence in the video and as it rains and snows a crowd of unpleasant onlookers glare at them and whisper to each other from the opposite side of the fence. Then at the end of the video there is an M. Night Shyamalan style twist that reveals the message of the video so that it's not just being sexual....because it would be otherwise.

24. Fell In Love With A Girl- The White Stripes

Making excellent use of one of the simplest, most colorful, and best toys ever Jack and Meg White revive the excellence of stop motion through the use of Legos. A very short video that as with any stop motion work took a great deal of time and effort yet it payed off as this video was the breakthrough for one of the most critically adored rock bands of the last decade, and rightfully so that this is the video that caught eyes as it's not only very entertaining it's also highly memorable.

23. Sabotage- Beastie Boys

Like what I said with Linkin Park earlier, I don't care what your thoughts on the Beastie Boys or hip-hop in general are. This video is great regardless.
Stylized similarly to the original Starsky and Hutch, our streets are kept safe by the mucho machismo of MCA, Ad-Rock, and Mike D, all sporting some impressive law enforcement upper lip fur. Running across buildings, engaging in car chases, munching donuts, these boys do it all with the wacky and hilarious flair that is expected of them.

22. Rockin' The Suburbs- Ben Folds

When white meets whiter and knows just how white it is you get the video for "Rockin' The Suburbs" by Ben Folds which is directed by Weird Al Yankovic.
Blatantly mocking angry white groups such as Limp Bizkit and Korn, Ben Folds and Al Yankovic's combined efforts produce numerous highly original and innovative moments throughout the video, numerous versions of Ben on screen at once, and several iconic nu metal staples such as Fred Durst's backwards, red cap and the scenery from Korn's "Freak on a Leash" video at the end (which I have always been a fan of). Pulled from the very original minds of Ben and Al this video is is soaked with the great sense of humor that both of these men have and it is in no way a let down.

21. Black Hole Sun- Soundgarden

Warped faces, bizarrely creepy imagery, and a fantasy-scape that appear far too pleasant are what makes up the video for Soundgarden's signature song. Mixed with footage of the band playing the majority of the video revolves around a small town and it's residents who all seem to be spawned from the mind of H.R. Pufnstuf during an acid trip gone horribly wrong. At the end of the video all hell breaks loose and the townsfolk are sucked into the black hole with looks of terror adorning their creepy faces.

20. Ashes to Ashes- David Bowie

Once upon a time ago "Ashes to Ashes" was the most expensive ever made and upon it's release it turned the music video from a simply promotional device to a full blown art form.
Filmed in highly solarised color the video has a very jarring appearance with even the sky being pitch black. Bowie also debuted the Pierrot clown costume that would become a major staple for him during this era of his career. Other bizarre scenes include the appearance of Major Tom and the iconic shot of Bowie and the Blitz Kids walking in front of the bulldozer. Truly a must see or anyone.

19. Knights of Cydonia- Muse

I only need three words for this video Futuristic-Kung Fu-Cowboys. :heheh: The story for this video is simply ridiculous and crammed full of so many awesome things that you can't help but scratch your head and smile while watching it. The story goes a little something like this: Futuristic Kung Fu Cowboy meets girl, get beat up by the villain, is left to die in the desert, is saved by a robot, a martial arts man, and a goddess on a unicorn, saves his lady on a dirt bike, and beats the bad guy. If that story doesn't make you want to watch this then you might want to get your pulse checked.

18. Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody- David Lee Roth

Oh Dave....he certainly made use of music videos in his solo career. Each and every one of them were positively oozing with comedic cheese that only someone with his charisma would manage to pull off without being lame.
As with all of his videos this one has an extended intro that features grotesquely unrealistic looking people before Diamond Dave drifts off into fantasy land where he thinks about how awesome of a video he could make. Over the course of Dave's daydream he sings and dances all around the television station and encounters many humorous mock ups of iconic artists of the time like Michael Jackson, Boy George, and Billy Idol the latter of he may or may not accidentally kill.

17. Hurt- Johnny Cash

A video retrospective of a dying man's life. Simply as that. Johnny pours every ounce of himself into not only the song but also it's video. I really can't say too much, just watch and you'll know.

16. I'm Going Slightly Mad- Queen

This video does a fantastic job of capturing the illogical products of madness in a truly humorous way. Beneath the surface however Freddie truly was going slightly mad from the dementia of his AIDS. Because of his weakness this was the last time fans saw him parade about with his flamboyant charisma as he became too ill to do so shortly after filming was complete. The video was filmed in black and white and Freddie wore heavy makeup and a wig to hide his very gaunt and frail condition. Despite the seemingly light hearted humor of the video it is obvious that there is something very dark and tragic underneath the surface...and I'm not talking about Elton John in a monkey suit.

15. Hardest Button To Button- The White Stripes

The second entrant from the White Stripes also uses a form of stop motion known as pixilation amination. This is used to make it appear as if dozens of drum sets and guitar amps are appearing magically with each beat of the drum. This is used in different ways in a subway, on the sidewalk, and in a park all in New York. They also take it a step further by making the drum kits and amps appear to move around as well as disappear with Meg and Jack traveling with them. As someone who's done this sort of thing I can fully appreciate all of the effort that I know when into this. It's such a cool video.

14. Sledgehammer- Peter Gabriel

No list of great music videos is complete without "Sledgehammer". It's one of the most complex, popular, and influential videos of all time. I don't think I even need to explain why it's so good. It's just spellbinding. If you don't know why or have never seen it then you need to watch it right now.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
13. I Believe In A Thing Called Love- The Darkness

If you didn't expect to see this song on my list then clearly we have not been properly introduced. When any video opens with a butt naked man then you know it's going to somehow be memorable. When that naked man changes into an open chested cat suit and him and his band mates fight gigantic sea creatures in outer space with the awesome power of rock music then it only gets better. When a monstrous octopus tries to hump their spaceship into submission and they blow it up with soaring falsetto, rockus guitar solos, and laser that shoot out of their instruments then you've gone from a great video to one of the most absurdly spectacular videos ever produced.

12. Here It Goes Again- OK Go

Never has such an inexpensive video ever been done so well. These four nerdy white guys did to treadmills what KISS did to face paint. This is just such an original and infection video that you can't not love and be amazed by it.

11. I Don't Like Mondays- The Boomtown Rats

"I Don't Like Mondays" has so a flawlessly artistic video. The creepy school kids, the blank white room, the family that is watches it all from their television, the surrealistic conclusion to the video. Their is something truly beautiful about this video. It's no wonder that back when it came out in '79 it was getting acclaim from movie critics. This video is so underrated because it predated MTV and the time where music videos were seen as an art form and an extension of the song.

Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays Video
(It's not on Youtube for some reason)

10. Buddy Holly- Weezer

Spike Jones did such a great job with this video (and wanted people to know it by crediting himself in the video). The editing is absolutely top notch and seamless. I mean, you have Fonzie dancing with the band, the band making gestures to the crowd and they seem to react to it. It's just so well done and is such a original idea and a fun video.

9. Coin-Operated Boy- The Dresden Dolls

I doubt there has ever been a music video that comes across so well on facial expressions alone. There is quite a bit more to the video than just facial expressions but they are just so theatrical and comedic and perfect. Everything in this video fits the music perfectly. All of the sound effects and little ticks are actually in the studio recording and were fitted to video flawlessly. Like for example the part where the recording appears to skip or where there is pencil scribbling on paper. These were integrated visual to the video so perfectly.

8. One- Metallica

Such a tragic and dark video. Mixing footage of the band playing with scenes from "Johnny Got His Gun" (which is what the song was based on in the first place) really tells such a horribly terrifying story and it tells it intensely. I remember crying the first time I watched this video because it hit so hard.

7. This is Hardcore- Pulp

Dark and yet refined we have Pulp's "This is Hardcore". The video revolved around the filming of an old private eye movie titled "Hardcore". This film is littered with crime, sex, death, show girls, fist fights, and more. This video is to me one of the most memorable I've ever seen. It just has this beautiful eeriness to it both musically and visual. It is because of this that the music and the video flow together with the utmost congruency which is the way music videos are supposed to be.

6. Growing On Me- The Darkness

What is this? I snuck in a second video by The Darkness? You bet your ass I did. While most people cite "I Believe In a Thing Called Love" as The Darkness's best music video I actually favor the overlooked video for "Growing on Me". It takes the wackness levels of the previously mentioned song and goes beyond your exceptions. The video opens with the band's spaceship being humped into submission by a rouge pterodactyl so right off the bat it's starting out great. Over the following four minutes the band, who are little kids at the start of the video, get struck by lightning and magically grow up into their adult selves, they meet some ladies, go horseback riding, Justin gets kidnapped by the same beast their got frisky with their ship, they shoot clay discs with their guitars as if they were guns, a guitar rises from a misty lake like Excalibur, and Justin is film in the tub....again....

5. Don't Come Around Here No More- Tom Petty

Tom Petty has put out a lot of great videos over his career but this to me stand tall over all of the others with ease. Mr. Petty takes on the roll of the Mad Hatter and entertains Alice at his tea party as objects miraculously grow and shrink repeatedly. In the end Alice's body gets turned into a cake and she is eaten. This video has such a beautiful use of imagery. Even something as simple as the walls, floor, and furniture all being black and white checker printed to make the Alice and the Mad Hatter stand out more where as the other character blend into the background. This is a beautifully spellbinding video that everyone should see at some point in their life...or better yet, as often as possible.

4. November Rain- Guns N' Roses

One of the most expensive rock videos ever made and no list of greatest music videos can be without it. Absolutely massive and grandiose. Multiple setting, a beautiful and tragic story, extravagant costumes, sweeping footage of Slash's solo, the iconic shot of Slash playing atop Axl's piano, the intense finally. Just all of it so breathtaking. From the very beginning where Axl's is turning in bed to the final image of seeing the roses on the casket. It is a beautiful video for Axl's opus and is worth every penny.

3. It's Oh So Quiet- Björk

Do you hate bright colors and people singing and dancing in the streets? Well you'll still love this video. "It's Oh So Quiet" is a huge jazz song with a video straight off of Broadway. Half of the song is calm and soft and the other half?.....Well musical madness breaks out during that half. People start to flip all over the place, start to dance, objects comes to live and join in the affairs, and all sort of other zany happenings.

2. Virtual Insanity- Jamiroquai

Another jazzy song in the top three? How'd that happen? Pure coincidence really.
"Virtual Insanity" is simply insane. Such a trippy video that takes dancing to another dimension and let me tell you that this new dimension is a trippy one. It's just a genuinely creative video that was unlike anything else before it or anything since. The they made the floor and furniture appear to move around like that is so amazing to watch. Plus singer Jay Kay actually has some pretty sweet moves and he really shows them off as he dodges chairs and couches that come creeping at him. Simply unbelievable.

1. Take On Me- a-Ha

Is there any other video that should take the top spot for music videos? I think not. "Take On Me" still looks amazing some 20+ years later. In the 80's the special effects were groundbreaking and today they still look fantastic. So original, so innovative, so sweet, so unbelievable. I cannot ever see there being a music video better than this one. It's absolutely perfect.

(At 3:30 in the morning I'm much too tired to proof read this. I hope there aren't any severe typos....)​

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well it was going to be 25 but I couldn't bring myself to to get rid of one. :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Had I gone up to 30 then I promise you that "Ava Adore" would have made the list then, Soot. ;)

I do hope people take the time to watch any videos that haven't seen before (as well as rewatch any that they have). I place my Cosmic Stamp of Approval on each and every one of these for being phenomenal music videos.

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
20. Ashes to Ashes- David Bowie

Once upon a time ago "Ashes to Ashes" was the most expensive ever made and upon it's release it turned the music video from a simply promotional device to a full blown art form.
Filmed in highly solarised color the video has a very jarring appearance with even the sky being pitch black. Bowie also debuted the Pierrot clown costume that would become a major staple for him during this era of his career. Other bizarre scenes include the appearance of Major Tom and the iconic shot of Bowie and the Blitz Kids walking in front of the bulldozer. Truly a must see or anyone.

The previous year, David Bowie had released his "Ashes to Ashes" music video which was considered as the most innovative to date at that time. But ELO were largely regarded to have surpassed that with their video for "Hold On Tight". At the time it was the most expensive ever made at around £40,000 and is an homage to serial films. UK Midlands Central TV News, August, 1981

Signed,

Rick

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Oh my goooooddddd.

Loads of these I love, some I've seen but not recently, and others I'll have to take time to look at.

I hear there's an interesting story behind "Sledgehammer". I'd also like to give special attention to "Don't Come Around Here No More" - it was actually banned shortly after it came out for the Alice-eating metaphor.

Amazing list, though.

I could go on forever about the wonderfulness of 80s videos, especially.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Alice being eaten like that never even crossed my mind. Some people just have dirty minds. :rolleyes :bonk:

The 80's and early 90's were the golden age of music videos. Since then they've become a lost art form since there aren't any TV stations that really show videos anymore so no one bothers to put effort into them anymore. That said however, there are a number of these from the last decade and that's because they are still examples of excellence in the world of music videos.

SchindlerHaughton

Reaction score
This one definitely deserves a mention:

Oasis music videos are usually kinda so-so, but this really stands out in my opinion.

Here's another really good Oasis video:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.