Taylor Swift (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Aw, only second or third? Haha I guess I'm spoiled. :) With the exception of MJ edging past her the year of his death, Taylor has been the top-selling artist 2008, 2009 & 2010! I guess you can't compete with Adele, especially without a new album. But 2012 should be a good year for Taylor once she gets the album out. People say organic music is on the outs, and yet the biggest sellers are still irrevocably organic acts.

Taylor did a song with reputable indie act The Civil Wars for the upcoming Hunger Games soundtrack! As a huge Hunger Games fan this was very pleasing news to me. I even had Taylor's song Innocent on one of my self-made Hunger Games soundtracks (although it was on the one for the second book, Catching Fire).

I think that's an awesome track but I'm a huge fan of The Civil Wars! I think Taylor should go in this direction because it really suits her! :grinthumb

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

So Taylor's new album has a slick pop sound to it as opposed to the guitar-based country-ish pop she's done up until now. This was a surprise.

Not sure how I feel about Tay Tay's new album yet. On the one hand it definitely has some brilliant songs on it, on the other hand it definitely isn't the album I was hoping for. Had she continued her progression from her first three records, Red would have been both her most lyrically mature and most hard-rocking record to date. Instead Red is a new direction entirely...

The one thing I definitely miss is the rockers. There's barely any significant electric guitar on the album, and when it's there it's buried by the ultra-slick production. But at least I got to see extended jams on Better Than Revenge and Haunted live, that memory will always stick with me.

On the other hand it's good for Taylor to play a different kind of music and broaden her horizon. I sort of have to admire her for reversing trend just at the moment when what she does (that is to say, what she had been doing) is on the cusp of taking over the world. While the Gagas, Ke$has and Katy Perrys were getting huge off of dance-pop, Taylor twiddled her thumbs and conquered the world with organic pop. Now that Adele's unprecedented reign seems destined to push organic pop back on top, Taylor decides to see how far dance pop can take her. You have to admit, it's an almost Neil Young-ian refusal to follow the vogue.

In the end, I'm genuinely glad she did something different with this album, but I hope it's not a permanent change. Like Nirvana, Crazy Horse or AC/DC, Taylor has a signature sound that she is known for, and the thought of her never doing another "Taylor Swift-style" album would be a depressing one.

In any case, it through me off at first but I'm loving it more with each listen and I'm certain some of these songs will go down as all-time faves. Can't wait to see them live, I really hope she tours next summer.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Well, finally got to see her live for the second time. A great show of course. I think the setlist could have been better, but it was eye opening in a lot of ways. What really surprised me is, she left off a bunch of her biggest hits! I mean, I as thrilled about that because as a hardcore fan I'd always rather hear deep cuts anyway.

I was thrilled she did it, but I was just.... completely floored that she would do that. Of all people I expected Taylor to play the hits. Maybe it's just because I'm used to going to classic rock shows, where if somebody doesn't play every hit they ever had over 30 years, the "fans" think the artist is the ****ing devil and all that jazz. Can't count the number of times I've heard comments like that after shows from classic rock bands. Is it different for modern artists?? Would people not be mad if Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber or Adele left out a bunch of their hits on a tour? I'm inclined to think people would be mad.

The really amazing thing is all the deep cuts she's been playing. She plays a different song at every gig, all different kinds of things. Sometimes it's a hit she hasn't played at any other show, other times it's a total deep cut from one of her older albums, other times it's even an obscure cover song. It's like she's Tom Petty or something, I was really impressed that she would do this.

One of the interesting things about this is that she plays this part of the show solo-acoustic. Kind of clever, really: this way she can play a different song every night and the band doesn't have to learn 40 extra songs, and the dancers don't have to choreograph 40 extra songs, and Taylor can play any crazy thing she wants (among the inclusions thus far have been covers of The Neon Trees and Nelly).

But even more interesting about her doing these songs solo is, it shows that not only can she genuinely play, but even more impressively, she has an expert grasp on her catalog. She's always done a solo-acoustic song here and there but for her to be able to whip out all kinds of songs from all over her catalog, deep cuts and hits and even covers, several different tracks a week, that demonstrates some undeniable prowess.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Here are some of her solo deep cuts from the Red tour. Really impressed with these, would love for her to do a solo tour someday. I hope there's a tour CD/DVD for Red as well so we can hear some of these songs in decent sound quality.

And here's my favorite band song from the tour as well.

AnnySi

Reaction score
Taylor is a great talent!! she is really very popular last time. It's no wonder, that she is the second or third highest earner in music last year !!

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
In the round. Cool.

Anyone here remember when Yes toured 'In The Round'? That was,like, the big news back then.

I like Taylor. My daughter and wife are big fans. There's a Taylor Swift 'Red' blanket on the couch up in the family room. I think my daughter got in at one of the music stores around here.

Hey! I just realized....I've slept with Taylor Swift on several occasions.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I saw that Yes concert, the entire stage rotated and it was huge and gave each one of them all the space they needed, I wonder why more bands didn't follow their lead.:think:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online