Taylor Swift (Official Thread)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
1251125967_taylor_swift_290x402.jpg

Taylor Swift Official Website

I actually wrote this for my blog over in the blog section, but I realized it looked like one of those "official thread" threads and I know we don't have one for Taylor. So I took the risk. *shrug*

Not sure if we even have any other Swifties on board, which I think is a a bit of a shame considering Taylor is a stone-cold organic guitar-based artist who writes genuine autobiographical music. Not only does she write her own music, but it's also fun to note that Taylor Swift in fact is (and always has been), signed to an independent record label. They're basically her Sub Pop re: Nirvana, she carries them on her back after having become successful.

So here's the low down on The Swizz and her major releases thus far.

Taylor Swift (2006)

Taylor's debut is vibrant, young, and hungry. It's her most upbeat album with a bright summery feel, but it's also the one that rocks the least, opting more towards country instrumentations than pounding rock-styled ones. Only 16 at the time, the album is sincerely niave, but punching choruses and universal romance carry it to glory (including five platinum singles). While it's clear how Taylor's sound fits in with the rockified stylings of modern country, self-titled is the only full-length of hers to really utilize country music tropes. You can find abundant banjos, songs about pickup trucks, and good old country wisdom here, the rest of her music falls closer to folk-rock and pop-rock in style.

Fearless (2008)

Here comes the meteoric breakthrough. Taylor exchanges her youthful abandon and sunny flare for more of a controlled burn, and it pays off. The country becomes a bit toned down and instead we have the classic loud/soft dichotomy, alternating between smooth, cultured acoustic pop/rock and electrified verse/chorus anthemia. The love theme remains but the lyrics become much smarter, with the almost chillingly vivid 'Sugar Mountain'-reminiscent childhood rumination called The Best Day and the flawlessly-articulated first date fantasy of the Fearless title-track. And the choruses? So much bigger this time around.

Fearless: Platinum Edition (2009)

The album was rereleased with an EP attached. Like the EP accompanying her debut album, it retains the style of its predecessor, but unlike Beautiful Eyes, the tracks here are truly excellent. Untouchable attains a transcendental mood with its eerie picking and strained moans, and the sparce piano rendition of the former electric rocker Forever & Always chills me to the core.

Speak Now (2010)

A decent way to describe the difference between Fearless and Speak Now is to compare them to Nevermind and In Utero. The two albums use the exact same formula, and yet the latter record is deeply imbued with newfound maturity and growth. Fearless has more classics, but Speak Now features many of the most impressive and intriguing songs in Taylor's catalog. While Fearless leans more towards a folk style, Speak Now leans more towards rock, with more electric instrumentations and unquestionably some of Taylor's hardest rocking songs to date. Taylor almost seems to present a "take on all comers" mentality as she immaculately gives her best Evanescance impression on Haunted and her best Paramore in Better Than Revenge. Innocent takes the dewey eyed theme of eternal youth from her debut album and inverts it into a dark message about returning to youth after the world has had its way with you.

Speak Now World Tour Live (2011)

I saw this tour and it was one of the most incredible nights of my life. Unfortunately, I am a little disappointed with the sound quality on the CD, it could stand to be a lot crisper. But it's still a good set. In the most impressive and worthwhile segment, culled from various nights where each show featured different songs, Taylor takes the mic all by her lonesome to pay tribute to some of her own favorite artists.

I don't believe T-Swizzle will be touring this summer but this fall her next album is scheduled to come out! I can't wait to see what style it takes on.

taylor_swift.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Re: The Official Taylor Swift thread

I'll admit that, outside of her more well-known music, I don't know much about TS, AAG. But from what I've heard she makes some pretty cute songs but I'm not sure if I like the lovesick soul tormented thing she had going on for awhile and I've heard a lot of criticism about her lyrics being too far along those lines but then again so are Adele's on the new album so that can be forgiven.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I can dig that. I have no threshold for cuteness or schmaltz, for me it's the more the better, no holds barred. Though I'm not sure it's necessarily worthy of criticism, in so far as that's precisely what she's about, that's like criticizing AC/DC for rocking too hard. But I can certainly understand people not being interested in such schmaltzy music. For what it's worth, it's not all lovesick, her core catalog is split between maudlin songs of longing, straight forward love songs (e.g. odes) and self-assured post-break up anthems. Plenty of outliers as well, of course.

I suspect that as she gets older she'll move more and more into less love songs and mature subjects, not unlike Paramore has (so far). You can already see it happening on Speak Now.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

All I can say dude is you need to start making more band/artist threads as this one turned out great. I don't own any Taylor but once I get onto my main PC i'll check the tracks out. I sampled Haunted and liked what I heard!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I like Taylor Swift. I dont own any of her albums, but I sure appreciate her creativity.

She did a really good job with Def Leppard on Crossroads.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

Nice! I never saw that before, Magic, I love it! :cheers2

All I can say dude is you need to start making more band/artist threads as this one turned out great. I don't own any Taylor but once I get onto my main PC i'll check the tracks out. I sampled Haunted and liked what I heard!

Aw, thankyou! You're too kind. <3 :thanks:

Taylor is just so easy for me to write about because I basically feel like I've been listening to her my whole life. Her discography seems to follow the classic or archetypal path that so many of my favorite artists do.

:coffee:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I had NO idea she worked with Def Leppard. Now that is an interesting combination and I'll have to check out that vid when I get home.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I agree with Sooty!! You need to make more threads. Well done. Good threads spark more intrest for sure!!

:cheers2

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Read an article earlier that listed Taylor as the second or third highest earner in music last year AAG. Over $20 million! :omg:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Aw, only second or third? Haha I guess I'm spoiled. :) With the exception of MJ edging past her the year of his death, Taylor has been the top-selling artist 2008, 2009 & 2010! I guess you can't compete with Adele, especially without a new album. But 2012 should be a good year for Taylor once she gets the album out. People say organic music is on the outs, and yet the biggest sellers are still irrevocably organic acts.

Taylor did a song with reputable indie act The Civil Wars for the upcoming Hunger Games soundtrack! As a huge Hunger Games fan this was very pleasing news to me. I even had Taylor's song Innocent on one of my self-made Hunger Games soundtracks (although it was on the one for the second book, Catching Fire).

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliverevans

Members online