Supertramp (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Supertramp

I love "Fools Overture", just an amazing song, and agree after Breakfast came out I didn't follow them anymore, it was okay, but no where near the quality of the earlier albums Supertramp recorded.

Squonk's Tears

Reaction score

For me, Supertramp represents truly original, outstanding songwriting, arrangements, and musicianship. Moreover, the band really staked out a sound with its rich Wurlitzer electric piano -- often used as the rhythm instrument -- and the distinct timbre of the voices.

I still marvel at the arrangement of pieces like "Logical Song." Instruments are carefully layered in as the song progresses. The tension of the spare arrangement in the beginning of the song gives way to a rich, emotional chorus. Hammond B3 organ swells, handclaps punctuate rhythm, etc.

Supertramp arrangements often sounded like two or more songs seemlessly melded together. "Logical" concludes with a freewheeling C7 jam that adds irony and humor to the minor key of the main part of the song.

The band and its producers also paid very close attention to sound textures. "Blooddy Well Right" hooks you with the Fender Rhodes piano, then the heavy guitar transition, followed by the same two-chord jam, but with a beautifully processed (wah pedal and delay) lead guitar.

I find the lyrics touching, raw, and thought-provoking. "Hide In Your Shell" is an amazing example.

Thanks for indulging me; I'll shut up now . . .

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^My pleasure to read your post Squonk,,,great user name as well.

And Pink Freud,,,your name made me smile.:D I didn't mind Breakfast PF, but it just seemed too commercial to me when it came out.

And welcome to CRF to both of you.:cheers:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

still marvel at the arrangement of pieces like "Logical Song." Instruments are carefully layered in as the song progresses. The tension of the spare arrangement in the beginning of the song gives way to a rich, emotional chorus. Hammond B3 organ swells, handclaps punctuate rhythm, etc.=Squonk's Tears

I love sparse arrangements where instruments are layered in one by one! Another great example is "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell & the Drells.

:****:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

PinkFreud wrote:

I could listen to "Goodbye Stranger" from Breakfast in America endlessly!

Sadly I couldn't! :(

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

:D...I'm going to play Breakfast in America tonight in CP/M's honor....:hab:

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score

@ Lord Grendel: I can see where you'd say it's commercial, it was more "pop"-like than their previous stuff. And thanks :D

@ Foxhound: Thanks :)

@ CP/M User: Why not?

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

PinkFreud wrote:

@ CP/M User: Why not?

I cannot image listening to a tune over and over again - it gets too dull too quickly! :(

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
musicdude420

Members online