Styx (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This reminds me of the Gillan/Blackmore split, even now Ian doesn't want anything to do with Ritchie...except in Styx's case James Young kept the band together and DeYoung is on the outside.

I just don't see a reunion possible the way things stand. Maybe Shaw would do a few shows with Dennis as MP posted a few pages back they don't have any ongoing feud.

Regardless, Styx ended for me with Pieces of Eight, after that album they were never as good.

EJD1984

Reaction score
All the bad mouthing from those guys against DeYoung.......my real opinion is jealousy.

That more than being angry over 'Babe' and 'Mr. Roboto' :bonk:
Not only the jealousy JY has towards DeYoung, but two other factors as well - money and money.

1. I'm sure digging deep into the current contracts, the lion-share of the touring profits go to Shaw and Young, bring DeYoung back, and it'll have to split three ways.

2. Prior to the Edge of the Century reunion, all of the profits from albums, signals, and touring were split evenly amongst the band members. But the negotiations of the 1990 reunion changed that. Depending on how many songs you have written on an album and their single/airplay success is how much profit/revenue you would individually get. Touring revenue had a similar formula, which nearly reduced the Panozzo brothers to hired hands. When all of this happened, JY's position, influence and profit was substantially reduced.

*All of this is in the Styx biography book.

I believe that from this deal in 1989, even the "new guy" Glen Burtnik was elevated above James Young.

I'm sure that a good chunk of Young's animosity towards DeYoung stems back to that old deal, he doesn't want it to happen again and has tried to put himself now as the de-facto leader of the band.

After reading the book and recent statements, I really came away with three conclusions:

1. DeYoung is a real talent, but with a controlling personality that can grate.

2. Shaw is also really talented, and is into music for the sake of music. In his youth, was a bit of a hot-head, but has really mellowed and forgiving now.

3. Young is the frustrated second lieutenant, wants more spotlight, but doesn't have the full talent to attain that status, and has really seen Styx more of a meal-ticket (this is the sad part to me).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^There has to be more depth to the whole story than just JY's animosity and jealousy.

For instance both the Panozzo brothers were touring with Gowan in the band before one of them passed away. Considering they were part of the original line-up they must have felt the same way as JY did or they all would have kicked JY out and kept Dennis as the leader.

I don't mind any old band/artist making a living on their legacy as long as they don't embarrass themselves.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I've been wondering if they would ever kick JY out...then it can be the all Tommy band :bonk:

EJD1984

Reaction score
^^There has to be more depth to the whole story than just JY's animosity and jealousy.

For instance both the Panozzo brothers were touring with Gowan in the band before one of them passed away. Considering they were part of the original line-up they must have felt the same way as JY did or they all would have kicked JY out and kept Dennis as the leader.

I don't mind any old band/artist making a living on their legacy as long as they don't embarrass themselves.
I know there must be more to it behind the scenes that we may never know.

Correction: John Panozzo (drummer) passed away in 1996, three years before DeYoung was fired and Gowan brought into the band in late 1999. In addition, Chuck Panozzo became less of a full-time member in 1998 during the recoding of Brave New World due to health issues, and since has only occasionally played with the band. So the two brother have never really toured with Gowan.

PS: I know I may seem to a little hung up on Styx, but the Grand Illusion was the first rock album I bought when I was 12, and have closely followed them ever since. :) And I'd love to have at least one last final album and tour with Deyoung, Shaw, Panozzo and Young.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
If you have a chance to see DeYoung in concert, do it. The guy is a hell of an entertainer with a very cool onstage personality. He could almost do a 1-man show I think. Very entertaining.

I wish that they'd reuinte, but bridges were burned so badly it seems, that they'll never be rebuilt. Styx is still a great show, even without DeYoung. The last time I saw Styx was about 2 weeks before 9/11. I just heard that they are coming to town on New Years Eve. Unfortunately, I have to work and can't go. :(

EJD1984

Reaction score
I think I may have finally figured out a few things with the lawsuit Styx has against A&M, in addition to part of the rift.

The lawsuit was filed by Gelderdisk LTD, the Styx publishing company that Dennis DeYoung is the sole president.

The publishing company was formed September of 1975, a few months before Equinox was released and most likely the result of them being signed to A&M that year.

It appears that Dennis filed the lawsuit on behalf of the band, so there is still some business communication between the two camps.

I now think a good part of animosity that James Young has is that Dennis is the sole president of the publishing company and as a result may get added revenue for that position, along with most of the say with the band. JY has always been the money guy, and may be frustrated/angry that he hasn't had a greater control on the business side.

Though in the last 3-4 months, it seems like JY has somewhat softened his tone in interviews regarding to DeYoung.

Maybe if Dennis was to make the offer to make JY and Shaw co-presidents of the publishing company, some sort of reunion may result. But I'm not sure DY's ego would want to give up that level of control.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Sounds complicated to me EJD, but you are right that sort of thing would bother the other equal partners in the band. Styx was one of those rare groups that had 3 good songwriters, even Curulewski wrote songs before he left.

Money and pride will cause all kinds of trouble in any group. I am surprised Dennis didn't offer them a partnership in the publishing company that might have been all that was needed to avoid all this drama.

rtbuck

Reaction score
If you have a chance to see DeYoung in concert, do it. The guy is a hell of an entertainer with a very cool onstage personality. He could almost do a 1-man show I think. Very entertaining.

I wish that they'd reuinte, but bridges were burned so badly it seems, that they'll never be rebuilt. Styx is still a great show, even without DeYoung. The last time I saw Styx was about 2 weeks before 9/11. I just heard that they are coming to town on New Years Eve. Unfortunately, I have to work and can't go. :(

I had just said to my wife last night that I wish Styx would reunite with DeYoung and that was right after seeing Styx in Lewiston,NY last night. Nothing against Gowan because he works out great with Styx and put on a great performance. That's all I'll say about Styx vs DeYoung.

Styx put on a phenomenal performance last night and did not look like an aging 42 year old band that began over 40 years ago. Gowan is a great performer & JY & Tommy Shaw really take control of the crowd in between songs with their stage banter. They opened with Grand Illusion & from there went into Too Much Time on my Hands, Fooling Yourself, and Lady. JY than talked about killing some brain cells and his liver during the 70's which led them into Light up from their Equinox album(I never realized that Light up was about...Lighting up until last night!...the same thing happened a couple of years ago at a Cheap Trick concert when during Surrender Robin Zander sang about "Mom and Dad rolling on the couch...rolling numbers rock and rolling..."& as he sang that part he was motioning rolling a joint with his fingers). Anyway...Styx the surprised me playing Man in the Wilderness next and it was great live! They then played Miss America, Crystal Ball, I am the Walrus and an amazing version of Suite Madam Blue followed by Blue Collar Man. The spotlight then was on Gowan as he had the crowd singing along to a medley of You Can't Always get What you want, Live & Let Die, and Bohemian Rhapsody before launching into Come Sail Away. Their encores were Rockin' the Paradise and Renegade.

This Sunday Dennis DeYoung is playing for free in my area(Styx was $12.00) so I hope to go to that but I have a minor in/out heart procedure Monday morning so not sure yet.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I did catch Dennis DeYoung this past Sunday and he put on a great show. It still sucks that DeYoung is not part of Styx seeing he did a similar set to the one Styx played the week before. He played Lorelei, Mr. Roboto, and Babe which Styx didn't play but a majority of the sets were the same. I will say after seeing both DeYoung and Styx in the same week I prefer Styx. Shaw and JY are both great front men and Gowan is awesome some as well where as DeYoung is great but his answers to JY and Shaw may be very good musicians but it's clearly the Dennis Deyoung show. Overall though I was treated to 2 nights of Styx music it was awesome

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online