Strife - 70's Trio

cornishmusic

Reaction score
Here's one for you! - why these guys were never huge is beyond me!

I saw the band several times in the 70's, and they remain for me, one of the top half dozen live bands I ever seen.

I think they fell apart in the late 70's as punk took hold............

Get Ready to ROCK! Interview with John Reid, guitarist with seventies rock trio Strife

Take a listen to the clips here - if that whets your appetite there are some full tracks on Youtube!

Strife | Rockin' The Boat | CD Baby
Let me know what you think!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
:cheers2 A big STRIFE fan here Cornish ! Ive got the 2 studio albums "Rush" and "Back to thunder" [ in green vinyl] plus a single somewhere. This is a band Ive brought up in conversation a few times to friends with a reply of...who???
That link of yours was a good read...mind you I was shocked to hear of Gordon Rowley and his leg amputation.
Shame I never saw STRIFE" live"....the nearest I got was seeing Rowleys NWOBHM band NIGHTWING play. Gordon played "Red sun"[Strife tune], absolutely breathtaking....ONE of the best bass guitar solos ever !!!!!!
STRIFE were a good solid band....time to dig out and give them a spin

Last edited:

cornishmusic

Reaction score
If you like the studio albums you wil LOVE "Rocking the Boat" which is them captured live.

One of the criticisms at the time was that both studio albums didn't really reflect the power and energy of their live performance - certainly R Dean Taylors production on Rush took the edge off the performance a bit.

I remember the bass solo, which was in the middle of "Rush" - Gordon Rowley was amazing - I remember standing at the front of the stage - 3 to 4 feet away from him.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I totally agree with you that the sound and production of STRIFEs albums..were.a bit dated,sounding like it was recorded early 70s not 75 + 78. I do take your word that STRIFE were a lot heavier live.......man I would have loved to see them in their day! I will have to track down the "live" cd :grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Cornishmusic you are spot on with your raving about the "live" STRIFE recordings...they have recently been uploaded on you-tube and dont dissapoint. The guitar solos sound really cool !! :cheers2

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Well LOU, I do like this band and that live track is excellent, a really great start and some great guitars as you rightly said, blistering in parts:)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
A thread bump for one of the most overlooked bands from the late 70s STRIFE......fine music !! :grinthumb

Let me down

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online