Stones Reissued ''Exile'' Tops U.K. Album Chart

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
For the first time in 16 years, the Rolling Stones top the U.K. album chart, after their reissued 1972 album "Exile On Main St" (Polydor/Universal) hit No. 1. U.S. hip-hop artist B.O.B. debuted at the singles summit with "Nothing On You" (Rebel Rock/Grand/HustleAtlantic/Warner Music) featuring Bruno Mars.

On its first release in June 1972, "Exile" also went straight to the top of the U.K. chart, then dipped to No. 3 in a 16-week run. Now augmented with a second disc of outtakes and newly-completed material, the album was in a close race throughout last week with staple dance act Faithless' new release "The Dance" (Nate's Tunes).

It stayed ahead to secure top spot on the Official Charts Company's full-week data last night (May 23), with the Faithless album in at No. 2, the band's fifth U.K. top ten album entry. The Stones' last No. 1 album in the U.K. was "Voodoo Lounge" in 1994; in 2005, "A Bigger Bang" was beaten to No. 1, by James Blunt's "Back To Bedlam," by precisely 11 sales.

'Exile On Main St' Back At U.K. No. 1 | Billboard.com

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I'm glad and surprised, both at the same time, that ''Exile'', a reissued 1972 album hit #1 in the U.K. - kind of says a lot in so many ways. About The Rolling Stones and the state of new music. And the buying public.

What do you guys think?

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm glad good old rock and roll still hits the top of the charts, and glad to hear Stones are busy with making something, if atleast not new, then reissuing old albums. Way to go.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I never paid much attention to it at the time it was initially released, as I just wasn't that 'Stones-centric in my tastes. But so many people have cited it as an inspiration, I may need to give it a listen. After all, if it prompted Liz Phair to produce Exile in Guyville, even in part, it can't be all bad, right? ;)

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I'm glad and surprised, both at the same time, that ''Exile'', a reissued 1972 album hit #1 in the U.K. - kind of says a lot in so many ways. About The Rolling Stones and the state of new music.

What do you guys think?

I agree. The bar for music can't be set that high these days if the Rolling Stones can reach into their vaults for material that they didn't think was good enough to release way back when but it's now good enough to top anything else being released these days. Of course we already know that the bar for new music is set pretty low these days, don't we?

I'm a huge Stones fan but I find myself wishing that instead of rematering/repackaging/reissuing material from 1972 that they'd get on with it and record an album like "Some Girls" or even "Tattoo You" or "Steel Wheels" again.

:(

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online