Stevie Wonder (Official Thread)

nakrul

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder (born Stevland Hardaway Judkins on May 13, 1950; name later changed to Stevland Hardaway Morris) is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and record producer. Blind from birth, Wonder signed with Tamla Records at the age of eleven and continues to perform and record for the label. He has recorded more than thirty U.S. top ten hits and won twenty-two Grammy Awards, the most ever won by a male solo artist. On December 1, 2009, he was named a UN Messenger of Peace.

Blind from birth and raised in inner-city Detroit, he was a skilled musician by age eight. Renamed Little Stevie Wonder by Berry Gordy, Jr., the president of Motown Records—to whom he was introduced by Ronnie White, a member of the Miracles—Wonder made his recording debut at age 12. The soulful quality of his high-pitched singing and the frantic harmonica playing that characterized his early recordings were evident in his first hit single, “Fingertips (Part 2),” recorded during a show at Chicago's Regal Theatre in 1963. But Wonder was much more than a freakish prepubescent imitation of Ray Charles, as audiences discovered when he demonstrated his prowess with piano, organ, harmonica, and drums. By 1964 he was no longer described as “Little,” and two years later his fervent delivery of the pounding soul of “Uptight (Everything's Alright),” which he also had written, suggested the emergence of both an unusually compelling performer and a composer to rival Motown's stable of skilled songwriters. (He had already cowritten, with Smokey Robinson, “The Tears of a Clown.”)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Stevie Wonder

Sorry Nakrul no links to other sites allowed, if you read our rules you would know that I have deleted it and please don't put it back.

tjacks55

Reaction score
I love Stevie Wonder so much! My favourite albums are Innervisions, Music of my Mind and Fulfillingness' First Finale. I can't even name my favourite songs because I love them all!

Has anyone got/heard Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants? I think it's so underrated! There's some good stuff on there like Black Orchid, Power Flower etc. Love it.

I've seen him live twice as well, as I honestly think he's the best live performer I've ever seen. Saying that, I never got to see MJ...but Stevie rocked!

Kay

Banned
Reaction score
He is a musical genius and I love damn near all of his work over the last like 50 years!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
He's got the vocals down pat, but the background noise in the club is too distracting for my liking.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I can get a beautiful new vinyl edition of Talking Book and Innervisions, they are my two favorite SW recordings.

Heard or read a blurb attributed to Stevie not too long ago, he doubts that in today's music business he would ever have gotten the opportunity to record/release anything, it's become a complete corporate sterile enviroment and makes him sad to see what's happened over the last 20 years or so.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Staff online

Members online