Stevie Wonder (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
13368_stevie%20(1).jpg

Stevie-Wonder1.jpg

Where do you start with one of the greatest forces in music since the 60's? I don't really know much about "Little Stevie Wonder", who recorded albums in the early 60's. My admiration for him started when my sister got a copy of "Talking Book" through Columbia House Record Club, my Mom was a member and we all got to pick at least one album a month. I heard my sis playing "Superstition" one day and immediately was a fan. One of the few artists that is deserving of his "Legendary" status, especially in the 70's which produced his best work beyond all doubt. Oh yeah and he's blind as well, an amazing artist deserving of a place in anyone's collection.

Stevie Wonder Official Website

Stevie Wonder Albums

1963 Recorded Live: The 12 Year Old Genius
1966 Up-Tight
1966 Down to Earth
1967 I Was Made to Love Her
1968 For Once in My Life
1969 My Cherie Amour
1970 Signed, Sealed, and Delivered
1971 Where I'm Coming From
1972 Music of My Mind
1972 Talking Book
1973 Innervisions
1974 Fulfillingness' First Finale
1976 Songs in the Key of Life
1979 Journey through the Secret Life of Plants
1980 Hotter than July
1982 Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium
1984 The Woman in Red
1985 In Square Circle
1987 Characters
1995 Conversation Peace
1996 Natural Wonder
1996 Song Review A Greatest Hits Collection
2000 At the Close of a Century
2002 The Definitive Collection
2004 Best Of Stevie Wonder: 20th Century Masters Christmas Collection
2005 A Time to Love
2007 Number 1's

Here's the song that started it for me.

My first Stevie Wonder Album.

StevieWonderTalkingBookFrontCover.jpg

StevieWonderTalkingBackCover.jpg

M

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Stevie Wonder

Definitely a legend. I saw him perform on the 25th anniversay Music Hall of Fame concert, and he did a Michael Jackson song, and got all choked up, but the performance was the best I have seen in a long time.

Living for the City

And the same song with Ray Charles which is pretty awesome!

This is the song that got me started on Stevie Wonder :)

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score

You could say that stevie helped start the signature "sound" of the 80's. When i think 80's music I immediately think synth. Stevie Wonder's primary instrument was a yammaha synthesizer(i think i spelled that right) He wasn't the first to use a synthesizer, but he was the first IMO to take it to the next level. The classical string melody he plays on the song " Village Ghetto Land"
One of the more versatile songwriters when it comes to songs topics.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Thanks for making this thread LG! I knew you were the one to make it because I remember a question in a thread where you named him the most universally liked artist! That is hard to argue against because I can't think of anyone I've met who doesn't at least respect this artist! If I'm going to contribute a Stevie song to this thread it would be this one which I determined to be my favorite the second I heard it rolling at the end credits of one of my favorite movies High Fidelity. What a great addicting chorus.

I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

The first time I heard Stevie Wonder was his single "I Was Made to Love Her". Great lyrics and music. But the album Innervisions was the best in my book. Some of my other favorite Wonder songs are My Cherie Amour, Superstition, Signed Sealed Delivered,Higer Ground,Living For the City, You Haven't Done Nothing,Boogie On Reggae Woman.

I Was Made to Love Her

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

Finally.........the singer that can EAT OFF MICHAEL JACKSON'S HEAD ANY DAY.......VIVA S. WONDER!!:)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice to see the love for Stevie in here this morning. Ray Charles was someone Stevie admired a lot, even did a couple of covers of Ray's songs when he started recording in the 60's.

Greg you are right, he has to be one of the most versatile songwriters/singers ever, able to put a lot of heart felt emotion and social commentary into his songs, and make them pleasurable to listen to as well.

Thanks for stopping by Bry, it was due to your subtle hint that I wrote this thread.;)

Truckin', Innervisions is an Awesome record, I think it, Talking Book and Songs in the Key of Life are the best of his discography.

S&L...:D...that made me smile and I agree SW > MJ.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Love Stevie Wonder's music! What a musical genious. The Biography Channel has a one-hour program on him every once in a while that is well worth watching. I surprise people when I play his music, they don't expect that from me. There was some gangsta rapper who heard "Pastime Paradise" playing in a recording studio and didn't even know it was from Stevie's Songs In The Key Of Life album. Then he did his own version of it and fubar'd it all up. :wa:

Too many favorite songs from him to list. I'll limit it to "Golden Lady", "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing", "You Haven't Done Nothin'", "Superstition", "As", "Ribbon In The Sky", "Overjoyed" and "You Will Know". So many more, though. :bow:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

The thought of a Gangsta destroying one of Stevie's songs is reprehensible, and the fact he didn't know it was a Stevie Wonder song is pitiful.

I like all those songs you posted KMET.:tup:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

This London performance was excellent, I taped it when it was on VH1 Classic:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads