Steve Clark (Official Thread)

opera races

Reaction score
Phil Collen Answers 20 Questions about Steve Clark

Earlier this year Phil Collen of Def Leppard did an interview in four parts on video answering "20 Questions" about former Def Leppard lead guitarist Steve Clark. The origin of the questions was truly a group effort involving several people and the project came out better than anyone involved with the questions ever dreamed or imagined :)

I think the whole project was really cool because since Steve passed on over 20 years ago about the only material on him since that time has focused on how he died, what led up to his death, basically all this dark negative stuff rather than how he lived (i.e. the "dirty laundry" the general public supposedly eats up rather than the positive constructive things he should be remembered for). As far as I know this is the first in-depth interview presented in over 20 years that focuses on things such as Steve's music, guitar playing, methods, influences, gear, etc. I think there's not only a lot of info in these videos that the "guitar nerd" types will eat up but even a half tone deaf guitar illiterate like me got a lot out of these videos about guitars and music.

Since I'm a huge Steve Clark fan (disclosure here lol) it occurs to me that certain things I regard as common knowledge about Steve perhaps actually aren't - such as the fact that Jimmy Page was a huge inspiration and influence of Steve's. There is some discussion in the videos related to Jimmy Page and Steve. I knew Steve was into a variety of music, bands, musicians and guitar players, and said it was good to listen to all kinds of music (as I do :D) but some of the names Phil mentions were surprising to me and I was wanting to do some more research on what Phil said.

Enjoy! :D

All About Steve Clark Part 1

All About Steve Clark Part 2

Phil discusses Gods of War in Part 2. In this video someone used the footage of Steve from the song performed at Mountain View 1988 and combined it with other Hysteria era video footage of Steve, which I think turned out very cool. :grinthumb This video also includes Steve's entire guitar solo at the beginning of Gods of War, not the truncated version that was on the official video.

Steve Clark Wasted Solo Montreal 1983 - Now this is my idea of a great rendition of Wasted, with Steve, of course.

Phil also discusses Another Hit and Run. The first time I saw and heard early live recordings of Another Hit and Run it surprised the heck out of me to hear Def Leppard going off and jamming on a song, which they don't/didn't do often. I couldn't find Montreal 1983 so I've settled for this audio from Seattle 1983.

All About Steve Clark Part 3

Die Hard The Hunter is the song Phil mentions as his favorite by Steve. This video is from Mountain View 1988.

All About Steve Clark Part 4

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Phil Collen Answers 20 Questions about Steve Clark

oOOh, I'll have to check this out when I have time. Steve may not have been the most incredible guitarist ever born, but his songwriting and playing style had a lot to do with Def Leppard's success (in my opinion). I'm sure his presence is missed by a lot more fans than just myself. It'll be interesting to see/hear how Phil responds to these questions.

Peter Norway

Reaction score

I never liked Phil in the early Leppard days. I don't like guys who always bare their chest or go shirtless. And not big on guys with lots of earrings. And not big on guys that look like Rod Stewart but aren't. But his solos were always supremely efficient and meaty. And over the years I've come to see him as thoughtful and down-to-earth, not to mention friendly.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

And not big on guys that look like Rod Stewart but aren't.

:heheh: You kill me..

I've watched a bit of this already! Very cool guy and am going to enjoy watching the rest! Thanks for the thread!! :grinthumb

opera races

Reaction score
Steve Clark April 23, 1960 - January 8, 1991

Tomorrow will be the 21st anniversary of the passing of Steve Clark, former lead guitarist of Def Leppard.

While there is an official Def Leppard web site, I feel the following web site is officially the best unofficial (fan) site with the most information about Steve and his music, guitar playing, etc..

STEVE CLARK GUITAR - Introduction

I prefer to let Steve's work speak for itself. Also I pretty much said my piece in my Phil Collen Answers 20 Questions About Steve Clark thread which I might just go bump up after I post this. :D

In a way it's too bad that Steve can only be examined within the context of Def Leppard since his musical abilities went well beyond that. These are some favorite LIVE videos of mine which I feel really highlight Steve. Enjoy!

Switch 625 Live Melun France 1983

Def Leppard Die Hard The Hunter Mountain View 1988

Steve Clark Solo in Hamilton 1988
This is the entire Gods of War intro as was played on the tour, NOT the truncated version that is on the In The Round video.

Armadgeddon It Live 1987
Live in the studio ... Steve plays the guitar solo superbly the solo is ever so slightly different from what is on the Hysteria album. Same goes for other live versions that I've heard.

Wasted Live Dortmund 1983
Steve's music and playing = AWESOME

Last edited:

opera races

Reaction score

*BUMPING* because tomorrow is the 21st anniversary of Steve's passing and one year later I am still pleased as punch with the above videos.

There is a nice tribute page for this date here:

rememberanceSteveClarkGuitar

Moderators: Could this thread possibly be merged with my Steve Clark thread that I am posting in the 80's section of this forum? Thanks ...

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
22 years ago today (Jan 8, 1991), Steve passed away. I still remember seeing the report on MTV News and my jaw just kind of hit the floor. I think Steve's songwriting and playing style had a LOT to do with the early sound and success of Def Leppard. His presence has been sorely missed.

472951_10151360759585660_1166460068_o.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online