6. "Your Wall's Too High" (Kay) –5:40
Side two
1. "Desperation" (Kay) –5:45
2. "The Pusher" (Hoyt Axton) –5:43
3. "A Girl I Knew" (Morgan Cavett, Kay) –2:39
4. "Take What You Need" (Kay, Gabriel Mekler) –3:28
5. "The Ostrich" (Kay) –5:43

Personnel:

• John Kay: guitars, harmonica,lead vocals.
• Rushton Moreve: bass guitar, backing vocals.
• Michael Monarch: guitars, backing vocals.
• Goldy McJohn: Hammond organ, piano, electric piano.
• Jerry Edmonton: drums, percussion, backing vocals.

The Band

Steppenwolf was formed by two driving forces, John Kay (Frontman) and Goldy McJohn, in 1967. These two were already members of a band called The Sparrows, which also included another original Steppenwolf band member, Jerry Edmonton. The Sparrows landed a record deal with Columbia Records, and only released one single with this label. Several Sparrows band members quit, so John and Goldy replaced those members with Michael Monarch and Rushton Moreve, and signed a contract with ABC Dunhill Records. Dunhill Records encouraged the band to make a name change, and Voila! Steppenwolf was born. The name Steppenwolf comes from the title of a German novel by Herman Hesse. (John Kay is German)

FINAL%20Steppenwolf%20-%20GOLDSPOT.jpg

Goldy McJohn:

69jibb.jpg muh7ys.jpg

John Kay:

20380k.jpg 2iw1pvp.jpg

The Album

This album unleashed the Wolf upon the world! The album is a landmark for hard rock music and heavy metal music. The musical influence of this album spans almost every genre from soul , punk, gospel, folk to heavy metal. The song “Born to Be Wild” set the stage for heavy metal using the lyrical phrase “heavy metal thunder”, and pushed the limits for placing ‘loud’ into hard rock. “Born to Be Wild” would become a biker’s anthem , thanks to the movie “Easy Rider” of 1969, and is a song most everyone can identify with since there isn’t a teenager alive that doesn’t feel they were born to be wild. The song “The Pusher” would be one of the first songs to speak openly about the reality of drugs and condemn the drug dealer. The lyrics “God Damn, the Pusher” was a bold statement back in 1968 (and was never sensored) and still remains a big statement today. Even though these two songs were not written by the band, Steppenwolf is the signature band for these songs.

Another cover song off the album “Sookie Sookie” was originally recorded in 1965 by Don Covey but Steppenwolf added the groove to the song. The song was being played on soul radio stations until they found out the band was white :D. John Kay wrote a fun song “Berry Rides Again”, which is a humorous tribute to Chuck Berry. “The Ostrich” is probably the best song on the album which is an original for Steppenwolf. “The Ostrich” delivers an outstanding rhythm and chorus line, this song is a high adrenaline jam. Another gem from the debut is “Desperation”, which has one of the most beautiful and moving vocal melodies the band has ever created.

The original album cover was something amazingly spectacular, done with a silver foil, but later pressings would change the foil to a white background. John Kay’s deep vocal style and Goldy McJohn’s keyboard playing have never been reproduced by any other band, this is what makes Steppenwolf such an outstanding band and marks their place in classic rock history. This album is nothing truly spectacular; the lyrics are under-developed, the music is raw and rushed(which is typical for most debut albums), but you could see the potential for greatness in the band. The best musical material on the album wasn’t written by the band, but Steppenwolf definitely delivered the goods on those songs. The songs that were written by Kay, showed he had song writing potential, they showed he had spirit and adventure. This album will definitely take you back to what it meant to be a rock n’ roll musician in the late 60’s and early 70’s.

My rating for listening pleasure 4/5.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes it is, I didn't mention it in my review because "Hoochie Coochie Man" is a cover song and has been covered by sooooooo many people :)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I love Steppenwolf's debut album. Sadly nowadays, it's not mentioned with all the great albums of the 60's, as much as it used to be. This is a great album. Hopefully it's not forgotten.

The Ostrich, Desperation, Your Wall's Too High, Take What You Need, Everybody's Next One are really great tunes.

Born to Be Wild, The Pusher, Sookie Sookie are Steppenwolf classics.

Just a little side note - ''Born To Be Wild'' was written by the brother of Steppenwolf's drummer, Jerry Edmonton - Dennis Edmonton aka ''Mars Bonfire''. Both brothers were in a band called ''Sparrow'', that included John Kay and other members of Steppwnwolf. Sparrow eventually turned in Steppenwolf.

BTW, Mars Bonfire released an album in the 60's which contains ''Born To Be Wild'', ''Faster Than The Speed Of Life'', ''Tenderness'' and ''Ride With Me Baby''. All these songs were eventually recorded over the years by Steppenwolf.

Nice album review, Magic. :grinthumb
:cheers:

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Great review, really detailed. I love that album and it's one of most important albums of 60s. Steppenwolf is great band and this one is their best album :D I also read Steppenwolf by Hesse, it's great novel.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here is an image of the very first copy of "Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse. It was written in 1927 and was in German and translated into English in 1929.

381px-Hermann_Hesse_Der_Steppenwolf_1927.jpg

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
You get a big "A" on your homework Magic!! Cool fact about how they got the name..
But as with ANY greatist hits LP that Steppenwolf did, This one is packed with all the hits.. You can't go wrong with this LP...:cheers2

rtbuck

Reaction score
Great album!!! Back in the 70's(Jeesh I feel like everytime I write something it always starts off this way!!!) I was looking through my uncle's records (He lived with us & ever since the 60's He belonged to those record clubs & no matter what he always kept the monthly selections) & while thumbing past countless Ferrante & Teicher, Lawrence Welk, & Burt Bacharach I came across this album, 'Monster', & a shiny purple Steppenwolf album. I couldn't believe how awesome those records were & was shocked my Uncle had them but I don't think they were ever played. I also liked 'Skull Duggery'

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hey it's Bucky in da house.:D

Steppenwolf's debut is amazing, it has to rank up there with the best first albums any band of their era released.:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online