Sorry state of UK hard rock music festivals

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I started the day vaguely toying with the idea of music festivals this year and instead it's developed into serious rant about the state of the circuit.

Thank god for Download though, with a stream of fresh and challenging new hard rock music. The massive pull this year is that you can watch Steven Tyler and Aerosmith limp around stage after one of their least compelling albums ever, less than half full venues on their world tour and a singer and guitarist completely at odds, groove to Linkin Park playing yet more poor man's Metallica via an entire rendition of Hybrid Theory (the only half decent album they made...14 years ago,) the Offspring who were not only never any cop but quite clearly have nought to do with punk (and no I do not accept that Smash was a classic), Alter Bridge and Avenged Sevenfold yet again (how many times?).

All topped off by yet another artist that you can pretend you've always liked in an ironic way, in the form of the absolutely dire Status Quo. And yes, I know they were once a decent blues band, but that was more than 45 years ago. Oh and Steel Panther yet again, with their one joke (swear and write lyrics about tits) that wore thin before the turn of the decade.

The EU and US seem to manage fresher and less repetitive bills than Download and Sonisphere, so not sure what exactly is going wrong.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Can't comment about the festivals in England but Sweaty, Sox and LOU seem to find good shows all the time. Not sure if they still go to the big ones though.

I've always wanted to go to Wacken just once, although I'd have to pick and choose which bands I watch, no cookie monsters or demonic black metal or rap metal please and thank you.:D

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Can't comment about the festivals in England but Sweaty, Sox and LOU seem to find good shows all the time. Not sure if they still go to the big ones though.

I've always wanted to go to Wacken just once, although I'd have to pick and choose which bands I watch, no cookie monsters or demonic black metal or rap metal please and thank you.:D

Gig circuit in UK is healthy but the Festival circuit is not even a matter of opinion. Same acts trotted out every two years.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Never myself saw the appeal of festivals of sleeping in a field of mud, and disgusting overflowing toilets, whilst watching the bands through binoculars about a half a mile away (having paid £200/$300 for a ticket) even though as a young kid gigging around England with my parents in the late 70's I saw Genesis, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Stones, and Zeppelin all at Knebworth (which as an introduction was probably was the biggest reason I ever got into rock music).

Anyway, good luck, hope you find something!!

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Has Download ever been as good since it changed its name? :think: Last year having Prodigy headlining, whilst sticking metal greats like Saxon on at midday, still can't get over that one.

Not a fan of festivals anyway for much the same reasons as The Sound mentioned plus the masses of crowds do my head in. Download last year will certainly be my last.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Has Download ever been as good since it changed its name? :think: Last year having Prodigy headlining, whilst sticking metal greats like Saxon on at midday, still can't get over that one.

Not a fan of festivals anyway for much the same reasons as The Sound mentioned plus the masses of crowds do my head in. Download last year will certainly be my last.

My last Download was 2009 and I hated most of it. I'm 42 and it's a young man's game. At least that's how I feel about it. However, I really would push the boat out for the music if the line ups were more imaginative. And you've hit the nail right on the head with the Saxon vs. Prodigy comparison. The lineups are based on cold decisions re: unit shifters. Logical and perhaps the only way to do it or the organiser loses money, but in pure musical terms the acts with the greatest legacy are not in the appropriate place on the bill, thus suffer reduced set list and no doubt the sound appropriated earlier in the day doesn't get the same attention.

Reminds me of my one and only visit to Glastonbury a few years back when Keane were higher up the bill than Elvis Costello. That's the legend that is Elvis Costello, one of the greatest British singer-songwriters of the past 40 years and he has a 40 minute hits only set to make room for Keane's 50 minute set (despite the fact they only had one album out at the time) singing this year's wimpy ballads to a festival crowd.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Have you heard of Planet Rockstock? It started last year and having bands like Hawkwind and Uriah Heep headlining it started off very good.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Have you heard of Planet Rockstock? It started last year and having bands like Hawkwind and Uriah Heep headlining it started off very good.

I hadn't but thanks. Will check it out.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I agree to some points about festivals turning out the same old bands every year, however, it is not every festival and it's also about the company you are with.

I have been to many many festivals and pick and choose the bands I wish to see, Download has good and bad years so I either buy a day ticket for the headliner I want to see or a weekend ticket if it's looking good. Last year I got a weekend ticket and got to see over 20 bands including Iron Maiden so I got my moneys worth. Download this year isn't looking good but I will probably go see Aerosmith and the Quo are on, I make a weekend of it as I stay nearby at the brother in-laws so we have a few beers and just chill.

Festivals in the UK are not as good as some abroad but hey we can't have everything, I get to see some of these new bands playing locally and 3 or 5 bands for £10 is not a bad thing imo.

:Hmm:

Iggy

Coal mining ruffian
Reaction score
Try this one, I will probably be going ............
2013 acts included Saxon, former Scorpions and UFO guitar hero, Michael Schenker, FM, Anvil, Magnum,
Snakecharmer, The Temperance Movement and Fireroad.

Steelhouse Festival 2014

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online