Sooty's Dissecting a Cover Song Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Covers can divide people almost more than any individual track. This is because when it comes out it finds two audiences. First, it finds the audience of the original song which is often really attached to the original. Second, it reaches an audience that is hearing the song for the first time and might adapt to the newer version as it's their generations version. A lot of people see a cover as an insult to the original song and believe the originals are always better just because it was the original one written. Others believe a cover can take the original in a lot of cool directions and expand on the originals direction. Some artist do very loyal interpretations to the point of "Why'd they bother doing it in the first place"! Some artist make a song their own to the point where they secede the original artists attachment. Some artist make it a completely different beast. The cover song can help people explore older music they would've never known prior. A cover can boost a struggling artist career. For example, on youtube, an artist without a label doesn't fall into your lap BUT when you search a song you know and see a cover you like you can then explore the artist further. The art of the cover really intrigues me so my goal is this:

I'm crossing my fingers that we can do a real constructive conversation and analyze the relationship and what we like and don't like about covers of songs. I mean break down the elements of what we don't like about one or the other and who took it in a cooler direction? Did they do it justice? Why? Did they lessen the song? If so, how? You guys are smart so please keep out words like sucks and leave personal vendettas against artist out! I mean if you hate an artists vocal and they are covering the song feel free to say the vocal takes away but just be civilized, ya know? :D So, let's have fun with this and I'll post these periodically! I'll post a cover that is new to me but should be very well known by our crew!

No You Don't-Sweet/Pat Benatar

Happy debating! :cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
In this case above I think the cover is FANTASTIC!! This is a prime example of a cover done good!! Now without trying to sound like a purist just for the sake of being one...I do like the Sweet version better. It has a certain spark and it's a bit more lively, and I like the Sweet a bit better as a recording act.

Pat's version blew me away the first time I heard In The Heat Of The Night straight through...in fact...when the first line begins you can barely tell Pat and Brian Connolly apart. Your like "WHOAH" at first. :grinthumb

Clockwork

Baby Rocker
Reaction score
great song... i believe pat did an excellent job... my only gripe is how similar the approach she took, i mean it is a cover but i dont like it when it almost sounds identical, at least first half of the song, but other than that it was a great cover... also you can notice sweet did a better job with the drum rolls, especially in the hook, there's a small amount of drum rolls in pat's version and if you really listen there is almost no rolls in the hook and when they hit it's not as intricate as sweet's... in rock i believe that's what makes the track a little bit more exciting, the excellent drum rolls... the quality of course is more crisp that sweet's version, and the electric guitar solo is went really good, but i like sweet's version more... but other than that this is a great cover!

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Before I analyze them, I'll point out that neither Sweet's original nor Pat's cover are anywhere near my favourites from either band.

However, I think the production on Pat Benetar's cover improves the song a lot. Sweet's version, I just can't get into at all, unfortunately. Pat's just updates the song somewhat and I'd say Pat's version is the better because of it. I think the more prominent guitar work in Pat's version is a big plus for me as well, as an avid guitarist and guitar fanatic.

Reaction score
I didn't like Pat's as much, to be fair, it isn't my favorite song, but her version sounded thin to me, had the intro just sounded like that, then it just jumped into something much more dense, I would have like it more, but it didn't so.. Sweet for me:heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Hmm....I think the cover and the original are about even for me. Musically I think Sweet has the edge and is the more raw and rough of the two. Vocally however I think Pat gives a stronger performance as well as some of her harsher vocals. However I will say that I enjoy Sweet's harmonies more even though from what I can tell Pat is singing her own harmonies. The solo is the cover was a nice little slice though.

Overall I'd say I'd give the edge to Sweet's original because I feel like Pat's cover ended too abruptly.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

easy pick for me... what you think?

I agree Clockwork! It was definitely and easy choice with Heendrix. I read that The Leaves are the first known band to play this but their version is a mess IMO as opposed to the easy style of Hendrix. The Leaves singer sounds like a bad mix between Robert Plant and Jack White. The music sounds like a dolphin fart in parts. :lmao: There's a reason people remember Jim's version. O.K., so Sootys.....

Round 2

Let's dissect the preferences of the covers themselves in comparison to each other using the criteria from the OP. Here's the original but it's not in the running for the best here. It's just used s reference for rating what each cover did with it.

The Original

The Contenders

Let the discussion begin! :cheers2

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
As for cover versions I think these artists do a great job.Marilyn Manson beefs it up from the original giving it his own personal heavier style. Johnny Cashs version...amazing, a very good take and even Lisa Hannigan sounds well with her cover. I think they are all inspiring
........Who would ever think it Johnny Cash covering Depeche Mode ?? in the 1st place

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online