Soot and Sharp's Interactive 2014 Music Library

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's awesome. I didn't know Johnny had any relations doing music too. She's great. Might be the first country album that isn't compilation I end up buying.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
That's the first Rosanne track I've ever heard. Big Johnny fan but never checked her out regardless. I thought about buying this just for the cover alone. :heheh: Pretty good bluesy Country track and I plan on listening to the whole album based on your love of the album. :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m not going to name any standout tracks, as I think this album deserves not be dissected into small pieces, but should be listened to from start to finish. In fact, that’s how I always feel about music. I always listen to albums from start to finish.

Agreed especially with this. I'm gonna just talk about albums the same way myself with the exception of maybe the new AC/DC and Ne Obliviscaris. Dissecting every little thing became a bore. lol

Nice review there too dude.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I love it Sharpie! :woot:

Thanks, Jet! You should check out the whole album, if you haven't already!

She's great. Might be the first country album that isn't compilation I end up buying.

This would certainly be a good place to start your country collection, although it's not a straight forward country album in the classic sense

I thought about buying this just for the cover alone. :heheh:

The cover is great and, as mentioned in the review, so is the whole digibook. I love it when bands/artists have clearly put a lot of effort into the whole package. It gives the whole release some extra value imo.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll be posting my next entry later today!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I in fact did buy the album. I think the fact its not straight forward country might be why its appealing to me. It had a blues tone to it too.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I in fact did buy the album. I think the fact its not straight forward country might be why its appealing to me. It had a blues tone to it too.

That's awesome. Sometimes it's certainly easier to get into a genre, via music that touches upon that genre, rather than a full-fledged genre album. For example, I like opera, but my stepping-stone into that world was bands like Therion etc.

You know, bands that mixes stuff like country, blues, singer-songwriter tends to be labelled Americana and I think you'll find a lot more you'd like in that genre. I've got lots more Americana releases coming up, so stay tuned for that!

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Well, here’s my second entry and before anyone panics, yes, I will review albums that do not have roots in country music. It’s just a coincidence that two of my favourite albums from January derives from that genre, or maybe not. :heheh:

Jennifer Nettles – That Girl

0602537674275.jpg

When it comes to contemporary country, Jennifer Nettles is my absolute favourite female vocalist - this woman can do anything and truth be told, she nearly has. On this, her first solo album, people might expect a mix of the epic “Incredible Machine” and the country rock/pop of older Sugarland albums. But no, Jennifer has stepped out of the Sugarland shadow and has gone in a singer-songwriter direction, with a toned down and warm production – perhaps partly thanks to producer Rick Rubin, who tends to reduce music to the most essential. Lyrically, or even musically, there’s no thin red line here, she touches upon various themes and musical genres, for example Latin influences in the title track, Soul in “Good Time To Cry“, Rockabilly/Honky-tonk in “Know You Wanna Know” and of course her country roots shines through here and there. Last but not least there’s a cool cover of Bob Seger's "Like a Rock". All of this served with some very heartfelt lyrics and in a very reflective atmosphere.

I’ll be honest: Unless you are obsessed with Jennifer’s voice, like me, this album might need a couple of spins to sink in, but it’s worth the effort.

Here’s a (not so random) appetizer for the album:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
First off Sharp, I love the review itself! I really like the track you chose and Jennifer's voice. It's definitely a vocal that warrants the spotlight it has now and the crisp production of Rubin definitely puts it front and center. I'm looking forward to trying the full album! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online