Songs or albums that cause disagreements

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Are there any songs or albums (or indeed bands) which you really like but your relatives or friends can't abide? Or vice versa?

In the latter instance, the first song that springs to my mind is R.E.M.'s Shiny Happy People, which my sister likes but I can't stand!

On the flip side, she doesn't share my love of Pink Floyd - she does like a couple of their songs, Wish You Were Here for instance, but I don't think she 'gets' a track like One Of These Days.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Anything Guns N' Roses related. I know he's an ass but I still love Axl...

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lot of friends and family love The Wall and DSOTM but they are two of my least favourite Floyd albums.

As far as bands go its hard to say because I have some to a lot of bands in common with different people.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've had many discussions over the years about countless bands/albums.

One of the most amusing to me are the horde of Pink Floyd fanatics who think their first album is their best...:gig

I've listened to "Piper..." about 20 times at least and will never get the vibe that so many other fans seem to feel. It's not even in my top 6 PF albums list.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I've had many discussions over the years about countless bands/albums.

One of the most amusing to me are the horde of Pink Floyd fanatics who think their first album is their best...:gig

I've listened to "Piper..." about 20 times at least and will never get the vibe that so many other fans seem to feel. It's not even in my top 6 PF albums list.

Couldn't agree more LG. I have had that argument many times with Floyd fans who have clung desperately to the Barrett era (many of whom weren't even born when 'Piper' was released). Personally I like the album, but it doesn't measure up against the great pieces of work the band put together later on. The Barrett era was actually a very short moment in time. He was capable of writing the odd classic - but also a lot of trash.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more LG. I have had that argument many times with Floyd fans who have clung desperately to the Barrett era (many of whom weren't even born when 'Piper' was released). Personally I like the album, but it doesn't measure up against the great pieces of work the band put together later on. The Barrett era was actually a very short moment in time. He was capable of writing the odd classic - but also a lot of trash.

Couldn't have said it better myself JTG, and I have no doubt what happened to Syd added to the mystique surrounding Piper and endeared it to many more fans than just the actual album. Piper is a good album, but cannot hold a candle to their greatest works.

Khor1255

Reaction score
My sister has a serious problem with Jethro Tull because she believes they glorify **********. Despite this she did allow her granddaughter to watch their Isle of Wight gig from 1970 when I had it on one Thanksgiving.

Hand to God my grandniece was smiling ear to ear and actually headbanging to some of it.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of my siblings love alternative but I am the only one who likes Smashing Pumpkins. lol

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Anything past the year 2,000 not put out by someone who was around before that year! :D

I'm certainly not surprised Sooty...:gig

Riff I don't mind a lot of the SP's music but Billy's vocals are the weakest link in the band for me and that is really important when it comes down to it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online

No members online now.