Song By Song Battle #1 – Led Zeppelin II VS Led Zeppelin IV

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I’ve had an idea for a twist on the song and album battles on this forum with a game I have called ‘Song By Song Battle’. My idea for this game is broadly similar to the song battles, but with the expanded scope of the album battles:

. Take two classic albums with the same number of songs (or near enough the same).

. Pair the songs from each album against one another to create a series of head-to-head battles between individual songs.

. Go through the two albums and pick your favourite song from each pairing, awarding one point to the album with your preferred song.

. Do this for each pairing until reaching the end, after which the scores for each album should be counted up to determine which one comes out on top.

The first Song By Song Battle pits Led Zeppelin II against Led Zeppelin IV – I think this is a good pair to start with, as both are highly popular but there is significant debate as to which is the stronger album. Although LZ II has nine tracks with LZ IV only having eight, I have managed to get around this potential issue by treating Heartbreaker and Livin’ Lovin’ Maid (frequently played together on the radio) as one song for the purposes of the game. The individual head-to-head battles are posted below:

Song By Song Battle #1 – Led Zeppelin II VS Led Zeppelin IV

Whole Lotta Love VS Black Dog

What Is And What Should Never Be VS Rock And Roll

The Lemon Song VS The Battle Of Evermore

Thank You VS Stairway To Heaven

Heartbreaker/Livin’ Lovin’ Maid VS Misty Mountain Hop

Ramble On VS Four Sticks

Moby Dick VS Going To California

Bring It On Home VS When The Levee Breaks

Feel free to copy and paste this list. To make your choice of song clear, I would suggest either highlighting your preferred song (e.g. in bold) or only posting the name of the song you prefer from each pairing, but it doesn’t matter as long as it is clear which song you have chosen. If you genuinely can’t decide which song you prefer, award half a point to each song, although I would discourage this unless you absolutely love or absolutely hate both songs in a given pair.

If this game takes off I would love to do a number of other pairings (indeed, if others have different matchups they’d like to do using this format, go ahead by all means). If you’re confused about any aspect of the game, just ask me. Finally, have fun, and don’t forget to give the final score at the end!

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I'll start with my choices - this should also provide a useful guide as to how to play this game. In each individual battle, my preferred song from each pairing is highlighted in bold font.

Whole Lotta Love VS Black Dog

What Is And What Should Never Be VS Rock And Roll

The Lemon Song VS The Battle Of Evermore

Thank You VS Stairway To Heaven

Heartbreaker/Livin’ Lovin’ Maid VS Misty Mountain Hop

Ramble On VS Four Sticks

Moby Dick VS Going To California

Bring It On Home VS When The Levee Breaks

Final Score: Led Zeppelin II 3 - 5 Led Zeppelin IV

Led Zeppelin IV comes out on top here for me, which matches how I voted in the Album Combat Zone thread. I love both albums but I consider IV to be my favourite Zeppelin album, with II being my third favourite of their releases. I favoured the song from IV from three of the first four match ups, with The Lemon Song (which I took over The Battle Of Evermore) being the exception. Whole Lotta Love against Black Dog was probably the toughest call for me, but the latter just edges it. Side two was closer, with the first two battles going to the tracks from II, although I favoured the acoustic Going To California over Moby Dick's extended drum solo, and I couldn't vote against When The Levee Breaks (probably my favourite Led Zep song), which sealed the deal for IV overall.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online