Simple Pleasures

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
cRecently listening to the Bay City Rollers' 1976 Billboard number one "Saturday Night" that got me thinking whatever happened to good old fashioned let your hair down innocently pleasurable mainstream tunes.Between the unnecessary belligerent attitudes often espoused by Rap and the incessantly innocuous offerings put out but the likes of tedious writers such as Taylor Swift,I weep for the entire generation of youth growing up with all this lackluster and uninspired clap trap being part of their development.i recall when we all used to ridicule Air Supply for recordings that were viewed as sappy commercial top forty commercial radio material.Tell you what.Songs such as "All Out of Love" and "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" are much more enjoyable to these ears than most of what's out there now.At least these songs exemplify that the writers had a legitimate knowledge of truly proper song construction and had constructive and inspiring things to say.Just the other day I was listening to a young man who was listening to Rap on a Walkman and rapping along with all the highly disturbing to me lyrics about "mother *******" while suggesting that if you have a problem with someone,just shoot 'em and PRESTO!Problem solved!These artists and fans actually consider this load of bull REAL songwriting?!They haven't got much constructive to say and they express this fact quite well and often in their works.Most of the rappers see themselves as politically insightful agents of the oppressed while they are a crowd of unenlightened current day Neanderthals......

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Every generation feels this way.
Our generation seems to have more genuine evidence than most but it's still the same.

It's not just music.
I sat in the mall the other night waiting for the wife to get her whatever lotion or candles or whatever. Can't remember it went in one ear and out the other.
I watched the kids walk by and to me it looked like the bar scene from Star Wars.
**** it. As far as I can see we are all going to shit but that's their problem. Nothing we can do the change things.

I'll probably deal with that with our kids at some point.
Right now they still appear human.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Right on,************.I for one am sick and tired of people telling me I prefer 80s music over today's just because its the music I grew up with.My favorite band is the Beatles and I wasn't even around then.Nor was I around for all the classic pioneer rock of the 50's.Ask any serious musicologist and they'll agree the tunes of the 50s 60s and 70's were far superior to today's mindless drivel.Take this for example.Everyone here seems to agree that 1965-1975 was a period of popular song that will never be duplicated again.To hold up those years to the LAST ten years would constitute unmitigated and ludicrously farcical musical comparison........

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online