Should CRF Place Restrictions on Newbies?

Should Newbies be restricted on CRF?

• All posts should be moderated before showing in the forum for 20 posts.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Allow them to post, but do not allow links for 20 posts.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Newbies should not be restricted at all.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I have no opinion reguarding newbies.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
It's frustrating as I don't want to alienate new users as the peak excitement is when you first jump into things on the forum. Personally as annoying as the spammers get it's my "job" to ban them and I don't mind doing it. What I really hate it how ugly it looks with all these jumbled names clogging up the members list. I don't think the numbers rule will stop spammers from trying to log in. If they aren't bright enough to know that a jumble mess of shit possible pertaining to selling lawn furniture isn't going to draw somebody from a classic rock forum in there's really no hope for the f***tards! I just wish we would blanket ban as many of the IPs we see as possible even if it means taking the chance that some innocents can't join or however that works. The technicals of that aspect is not my area of expertise! :tongue:

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
I think 1 is the best option,As other members have stated,Maybe not so many posts,10 would show their true colors imho.
When I started here my name/handle,whatever ya call it was what would apear as random numbers&letters(Jumbled mess) to some that don't know about my motorcycle,the make&the CC of the motor.
I look at some of these new "Members" random letters&numbers that are nothing more than a cluster f#@k and I try to cypher them out.
Thinking maybe they are a ligit member,All the cypherings I come up with are to dirty to say on here:heheh:
You guys&gals took a chance on me.
Lord Grendel fixed me up with the name I have now&I wear it as a badge of honor:grinthumb

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I've seen forums with the "waiting period" and didn't like that at all. Many people won't bother coming back if they can't join and post right away.

I'd say give them 5/10 posts before they can post links or images.

Bagging spammers is not hard they have no imagination and we can take care of them whenever we log in.

I don't see the need for over the top security, the number of new arrivals doesn't warrant extreme measures.

^^^^Whatever this guy says, :oyea:

Seriously though, I think the mods should exercise whatever means they deem necessary. The loyal stick around and the others fade away. Forums have always been that way.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The statements are too closed for me because I think it is a question of time, not the number of posts. If these peope make twenty posts, they won't need to wait, although I realise there will always be those who are prepared to wait.

I'm taking it that the 136 people who did not click any option must agree with me!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You cannot go by how many 'views' this thread has received, chances are most of them are bots/spiders not real people.

Usually it takes a week or so for the regular members to get round to these type of threads.

I still don't see any need for increased security measures. Many of our members notify us if there is spam posted and when the first mod logs in it's taken care of. Roving bands of spammers from one location can be dealt with easily, but like Sooty noted it looks crappy to see their gibberish in the visitors box but there is no way around that.

I don't support anything that might put off a new arrival from posting and enjoying their first visit. It's hard enough to keep people interested and posting regularly in any forum over the long haul from my experience.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a newbie on another forum. I cannot do anything, including post a quote, until I reach 25 posts. All I am allowed to do is post a quick reply.

I feel too restricted, unwelcomed and probably won't go back.

this is what I do not want people to say about CRF!

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Still only 10 votes cast though, which really isn't a mandate to do anything one way or the other imo....I'll just be relieved if I can make it through the weekend without somebody posting a - 'Should CRF Place Restrictions on the Number of Times you are Allowed to Change Your Custom Sig Picture, Because It Gets Bloody Annoying after the 10th Time in Like A Week?' - Poll :uh:

Note to Self : TheSound Repeat 100 Times to myself every morning -

'I Must Stop Changing My Damn Custom Sig Pic Every 24 Hours'
'I Must Stop Changing My Damn Custom Sig Pic Every 24 Hours
'I Must Stop Changing My Damn Custom Sig Pic Every 24 Hours
'I Must Stop Changing My Damn Custom Sig Pic Every 24 Hours....

:peek

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I've seen forums with the "waiting period" and didn't like that at all. Many people won't bother coming back if they can't join and post right away.

I agree, having to wait for approval to post would put a lot of people off. It's what happened to us when I searched for a classic rock forum for Sox and myself to join - the first forum we tried to join left us waiting whilst we were approved, so we moved on to try another which happened to be this one :) It was great to be able to join and post here straight away - when you are all fired up and ready for chat you want it now, not tomorrow or in a few days. If the staff here are ok with all the extra work that goes into allowing anyone to become a member and post straight away that's what I'd go with, but I would restrict links until they have posted a fair amount of times.
My vote goes to 'Allow them to post, but do not allow links for 20 posts.'

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiammeee

Staff online

Members online