Should CRF Place Restrictions on Newbies?

Should Newbies be restricted on CRF?

• All posts should be moderated before showing in the forum for 20 posts.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Allow them to post, but do not allow links for 20 posts.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Newbies should not be restricted at all.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I have no opinion reguarding newbies.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Should CRF restrict the actions and permissions of newbies? Should they have to prove theirselves before they can post images or links?

What would be the best way for CRF to prevent unwanted spam links?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!!

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Option 1 for me - because posting links isn't the only issue, there's also an increasing number of unrestricted headcases turning up everyday with moronic motives, so IMO they should have to earn the right to post here and be taken seriously, so to me it's a win-win solution as any genuine music fans will understand, though I personally would have said a 10 posts review/ qualifying period, and not 20, but yeah, Option 1 :grinthumb

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
Option #1. Like TS said, 20 posts are probably too many. I'd think that five posts should be enough to show a mod if they are here to contribute or just here to screw around.

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
Option #1 100%, Personally I feel like 20 posts is just the right number, not too low-not too high. 20 posts will definitely show if they are willing to legitimately discuss music with us,post a journal,start a thread,etc. But that is just me :)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Went for option no. 2. It is mainly because we also get users aged 50 above as well as younger people who are unfamiliar with the forums and how these things work. It's to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding why their posts are not showing up.

I do believe that disallowing them to post links will be enough to prevent spammers from posting threads (vB would provide a message with an error). Same thing with signatures.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely option 1. It will suck for genuine people wanting to post but its still worth it to make weeding out spammers easier.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've seen forums with the "waiting period" and didn't like that at all. Many people won't bother coming back if they can't join and post right away.

I'd say give them 5/10 posts before they can post links or images.

Bagging spammers is not hard they have no imagination and we can take care of them whenever we log in.

I don't see the need for over the top security, the number of new arrivals doesn't warrant extreme measures.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I went with option 4 (no opinion). I really don't know what all the tech lingo like "spam" and "links" mean. If it means trouble, I guess there are ways to weed them out. I remember being a "newbie" myself and just diving in. I was made to feel welcome. I might have shied away if I felt like I was on probation.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I assume you are giving them more time, a few days maybe?... but I'm a bit surprised more people aren't voting, there have been 75 'views' to this topic, but so far only 6 votes, which I guess possibly indicates most people aren't really bothered either way.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could always do it as a trial and see how it goes? (the moderating post option)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online