Shinedown (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Must of missed this one when you posted it Sooty...:peek

What is their absolute best hard rockin' album and I'll check it out?

This is a hard one for me LG! They are at their heaviest on the debut and that has some of their best songs but most would say that the third album The Sound of Madness is their best and I have to say that I can't disagree as it's the one that the most amount of people can get into rock wise and radio ready melodies. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I read that earlier that the debut would always be your favorite...I'll put it and the 3rd album on my list.

If I forget jog my memory in a couple weeks...right now I'm consumed with moving and all the joy that goes with it.

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
The Crow and the Butterfly is one of my fav shinedown songs, im surprised that it was overshadowed so quickly :O
^-^ Zach Myers ^-^

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Shinedown has a new album recorded. No information on the album title or release date............

Read More HERE.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Sweet! Shinedown has one more fan! :grinthumb

Make that two.

Been listening to Amaryllis cd for two days straight, and it just keeps getting better. These cats bring it.

I can't remember a time when I liked every song on an album the first time I listened to it.

The common thread for my liking this stuff so much is the chorus.

Every one of them has a great hook, the kind you that get in your head and sing to yourself all day.

My only complaint is the cut My Name. It's a good song, like it a lot, but the gratuitous f-bombs dropped. It doesn't add anything to the song.

I believe I'll be doing some internet prospecting:D

Last edited:

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I've listened to these guys for two months straight. Not every day, but almost. If I get nothing else from this forum, I got these cats, so I win.:)

Five reasons I love Shinedown

(anyone who's read my post for the last couple of months shouldn't be surprised by this)

9092730360_34e31b8817.jpg

1. Their versatility.

At their core, their center, they're a hard rock band. However, they lean in a couple different directions. They can go straight metal Adrenaline, The Sound Of Madness, Devour, and yet drop a catchy, (in some cases, downright poppy) chorus right in the middle of the song. No easy feat, and they pull it off successfully.

2. Brent Smith's harmonies/vocals.

It's no secret I'm a harmony junkie. Brent's harmonies aren't difficult at all. He'll layer some things on occasion (check out the end of Through The Ghost), but for the most part, they're pretty much straight up 2 or 3 part.

What I love about them is the resonance he creates. His harmonies have some sort of weird, tinny sound that I can't explain, but I really like.

As far as just vocals, it took me a while to realize, this cat can freakin' sing. He's not just screaming his way through the songs, (although he can), he has a great voice, and he knows how to use it. A deceptively large range.

3. Awesome choruses. (< is that a word?)

This is pretty self explanatory. Everyone here has songs they love because of the chorus. The ones you sing along with, out loud, driving or doing yardwork or perusing CRF. Devour, Through The Ghost, Bully, Yer Majesty, What A Same, Enemies, Fly From The Inside, I could keep going, but you get the idea.

4. Power ballads.

There are not a lot of hard rock bands I like that have ballads I'll sit through. For whatever reason, I've just never been real fond of that aspect of the hard rock genre.

These guys' ballads, however, I like. I'll Follow You, What A Shame, 45,Stranger Inside, In Memory, and especially Amaryllis, and Through The Ghost, because of the string accompaniment.

5. Barry Kerch

9092841592_275348a5d3_n.jpg

He's not the fastest, he's not the trickiest, he's not the flashiest. What he is, though, is barely contained, frenetic, pure, straight up power. I've never heard a drummer with such an energetic, authoritative style. He's always right on the very edge of the song, like at any moment, he's just going to take over the entire song.

Soot, this is all your fault, you know.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Guilty! You aren't my first victim but my first solid one in a while! :tongue: Your breakdown was great! I put this band in the same category as Breaking Benjamin as a band that on the surface may seem like a straight ahead rock band you may see lumped in playing with Nickelback, Disturbed and Linkin Park but the difference is they've got the chops musically and vocally above their peers! :cheers2

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
This was released a couple weeks ago. A compilation of concert footage.

It certainly looks as though they sink some serious scratch into their stage show.

Also, this cut is from the Expendables soundtrack, so it's a couple years old.

It's a crunchy rocker with a really catchy, melodic chorus.

They pull this off on a bunch of their cuts.

Walking a fine line between hard rocking and darn near poppy hooks seems to be something they've figured out.

Last edited:

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
This is a band who completely passed me by really, so I never listened to any of their stuff. But the radio station I have been listening to the last six months or so has played a lot of their tracks and I've been knocked out by all of them. So I've got to start listening to the albums. Any suggestions for a starting point?

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I have all four albums, and a bunch of stray songs that have been put out there by themselves in my playlist, but if I listen to one album in it's entirety, The Sound Of Madness is usually the one I go to first. No weak sisters on this one.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online