Ryan Adams Covers I Want To Know What Love is

What word sums up this cover

• Total voters

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
This will be different and interesting for a couple of respects. The large majority won't be overly familiar with Ryan Adams so having expectations for the artist himself would be null and void. Also, the original would be considered a cheesy side of Foreigner they don't like anyway. As far as choosing I'd place the standards towards whether a subdued more subtle version with twangy folk vocals actually works.

ra-608x431.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Here was my initial response when hearing/posting on Facebook:

O.K., I love this! I love the bombast and over the top sentiment of the first! No shame! I will belt that shit out! Having said that if ever a song was crying out for a subdued yet still emotional cover it was this one! :grinthumb

By the poll options I would write unphased as someone who knows the artist and has seen him work this Magic before of tracks like Wonderwall and Down In A Hole. I think this version works but since I love the original I can't say that it exceeds it enough to be surpised either. Both work in their own way! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think that's exactly what this cover lacks. I think Ryan did a good job with it and I enjoyed it, but I'm just not feeling it like I do the Foreigner version.

I love the gospel choir of the original and it's epicness but that's why I hold them side by side as it's great to just her the core of a big song as well! :grinthumb

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I'm gong to stick my neck out here ................. I never liked Foreigner's original version much but I like Ryan's version :D

tkitna

Reaction score
I'm unphased. I don't like either version.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I kinda wish that the newer generation of artists could produce some classics that other burgeoning artists could cover later. I find it difficult to find new songs that fit in that category, but maybe I'm just an old fogey, lol.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I kinda wish that the newer generation of artists could produce some classics that other burgeoning artists could cover later. I find it difficult to find new songs that fit in that category, but maybe I'm just an old fogey, lol.

Ryan Adams has a huge output of originals and is a very prolific artist. He has a very dedicated fanbase and great critical acclaim but this is not the times for all encompassing classics. Just my take on it is all! :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online