Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

Wow, it sure doesn't seem like it's been a year already. This probably sounds corny, but this is one of those days when you remember exactly where you were & what you were doing when you heard the news of Dio's passing, at least it is for me, anyway Dio will live on forever!!

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

RIP Ronnie, missing you. :(

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score

Time for some classics I love:

and of course Dio's magnum opus!

RIP Dio! The world is just not the same without you here. While you may not be here with us physically, your spirit will live on forever. You are our rainbow in the dark.

:uh: :uh: :uh:

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth:

RONNIE JAMES DIO's Bandmates, Close Friends Gather At His Final Resting Place - May 17, 2011
Legendary heavy metal vocalist Ronnie James Dio, best known for his work with BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW and his own band DIO, died of stomach cancer one year ago on Monday (May 16) at the age of 67.

His wife and manager, Wendy Dio, who still oversees all projects and releases related to the career and music of her late husband, wanted to let the fans know that Ronnie's bandmates and close friends gathered at his resting place yesterday. She said, "We had a beautiful prayer service followed by everyone sharing their special memories of Ronnie."

Dio was renowned throughout the world as one of the greatest and most influential vocalists in heavy metal history. The singer, who was recording and touring with SABBATH offshoot HEAVEN & HELL prior to his illness, was diagnosed with stomach cancer in late 2009. He underwent chemotherapy and made what is now his final public appearance in April 2010 at the Revolver Golden Gods Awards in Los Angeles.

A free public memorial service was held on May 30, 2010 at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles, attended by more than 1,500 fans, friends and fellow musicians.

This past March, it was announced that the surviving members of the final lineup of DIO would embark on a project with former JUDAS PRIEST frontman Tim "Ripper" Owens under the name DIO DISCIPLES.

Ronnie James Dio, real name Ronald James Padavona, was born in New Hampshire on July 10, 1942.

He moved to Cortland, New York at a young age, where he began playing with local acts. A street in Cortland, Dio Way, was named after him in 1988.

He released his first single, with a band called RONNIE AND THE REDCAPS, in 1959.

His first heavy rock act, ELF, released three albums and opened for DEEP PURPLE, where Dio's voice caught the ear of guitarist Ritchie Blackmore. Blackmore recruited Dio for his own band, RAINBOW, after leaving PURPLE in 1975.

Dio recorded three studio albums and one live set with RAINBOW before exiting in 1978, including "Rising" and "Long Live Rock And Roll".

He replaced Ozzy Osbourne in BLACK SABBATH in 1980, recording the "Heaven And Hell" and "Mob Rules" albums, plus "Live Evil", before leaving in 1982. He rejoined the group 10 years later for an album called "Dehumanizer", and again teamed with the group under the HEAVEN & HELL banner in 2006. HEAVEN & HELL released an album called "The Devil You Know" in 2009.

He has also recorded 10 studio albums with his own band, DIO, including a classic 1983 debut, "Holy Diver", and an equally renowned follow-up, 1984's "The Last In Line".

Dio was also behind the HEAR N' AID project, a collection of metal artists who recorded the track "Stars" in 1985 to raise funds for African famine relief.

ronniefinal.jpg

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score

I was watching a VH-1 special about Heavy Metal and there was a bit about this hand gesture:

Dio went on to explain that it wasn't an occult matter but something his grandmother taught him as an act to ward off evil spirits.

Whenever I think of Dio...the song "Stargazer" comes to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

In memory of Ronnie James Dio on his birthday!

July 10, 1942 / May 16, 2010

RJD

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

This could go in the Sabbath thread too, but since the album it's found on is a Ronnie tribute album, I'll link it here.

Fates Warning - Sign of the Southern Cross

Not a bad version, not great. Still a good enough job to listen to a couple of times. :)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
another song off of the same tribute album: Jag Panzer - Children of the Sea

This is definitely a good cover! :bow:

I think I need to get this album!!! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka