Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

blabbermouth

SLAYER's KERRY KING: DIO Was 'One Of The Nicest Guys In The Business' - May 17, 2010
SLAYER guitarist Kerry King, who listened to "Man on the Silver Mountain" by Ritchie Blackmore's RAINBOW as a teenager, told Billboard.com that being able to meet Ronnie James Dio was one of his treasured memories. "Few people have had the ability to carry a song like Dio, literally demanding your attention as he effortlessly recreated live the amazing things he did on record," King said. "It's odd how things get taken from you quickly...I just saw him a month ago. I know I was lucky to have known Ronnie. One of the nicest guys in the business, without a doubt. He will be hugely missed."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

DUFF MCKAGAN On DIO: 'Us Rockers Owe A Bit Of Reverence To This Great Man' - May 17, 2010
VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan has penned the latest installment of his weekly column, which appears on Reverb at SeattleWeekly.com. It follows below.

"My part in this 'summer music playlist' it is going to be a touch bittersweet as it turns out.

"Last weekend, Ronnie James Dio succumbed to his battle with stomach cancer. From what I understand, Ronnie fought like a warrior to the end.
"I was supposed to pick a new-ish song for this list, but when it comes to rocking out in the summertime, sometimes you just got to go a little bit old-damn-school.

"'Last In Line' is an ass-kicker right up there with anything, punk, rock, and/or metal, and us rockers owe a bit of reverence to this great man.

"R.I.P., RJD!"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

STEVE VAI: DIO 'Was A Shining Light Of Rock/Metal Authenticity' - May 17, 2010
Guitarist Steve Vai has issued the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Dio was a shining light of rock/metal authenticity. He was a completely dedicated artist with massive talent. It's likely that his vital contributions will continue to inspire well into the future. He is now legend. But more than all this, Ronnie was a really cool guy. I mean reeeally cool.

"God bless you, brutha."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

RUDY SARZO On DIO's Passing: 'I'm Saddened Beyond Words' - May 17, 2010
Bass veteran Rudy Sarzo (OZZY OSBOURNE, WHITESNAKE, QUIET RIOT, DIO, BLUE ÖYSTER CULT) has issued the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"I'm saddened beyond words. I will miss the sound of your voice, your magical presence and your wondrous stories. My only consolation is that your now free from your pain.

"I love you, Ronnie."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

GUS G.: DIO's 'Music Will Continue To Inspire And His Legacy Will Live On Forever' - May 17, 2010
Greek guitarist Gus G. (OZZY OSBOURNE, FIREWIND, DREAM EVIL, ARCH ENEMY) has issued the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"On the night of May 16th, I was shocked to read the news. Ronnie James Dio, a true rock giant, is no longer with us.

"My condolences go out to his family and close ones and my thoughts are with you.

"His music with DIO, BLACK SABBATH and RAINBOW has had a huge impact on me and FIREWIND's sound. One of the bands I used to play in also got its name from one of his songs — that was DREAM EVIL.

"While I never had the chance to meet him, FIREWIND played a festival with HEAVEN & HELL in 2009 and I got to see him perform. No doubt, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen and I was amazed by his energy and how spot-on all his notes were.

"His music will continue to inspire and his legacy will live on forever.

"Thank you for your magic, Ronnie James Dio."

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

My brother showed me this tonight, possibly the hardest rockin' collaboration ever!

:grinthumb

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

JON OLIVA: RONNIE JAMES DIO Was 'A God, A Hero, A Pioneer, A Legend' - May 18, 2010
Jon Oliva (mastermind of SAVATAGE and JON OLIVA'S PAIN, co-creator/songwriter of the TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA) has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Two days have passed and I still cannot come to grips with the tragic passing of Ronnie James Dio.

"My heart is sad once again.

"I have always considered Ronnie as a God, a hero, a pioneer, a legend, and one of the nicest people I have ever met.

"Ronnie gave SAVATAGE their first break when he took us on tour so many years ago. We were so young and did so many stupid things on that tour. But Ronnie let it all go, and took care of us.

"The world has lost more than an icon...we lost so much more than that this past Sunday.

"I can't properly express my sadness.

"Thank you, Ronnie, and for all you have given us as a musician, but most of all for your sweet and caring soul. You will be missed, and we will celebrate your life forever."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

URIAH HEEP Guitarist: RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Was A True Gentleman Of The Highest Order' - May 18, 2010
Guitarist Mick Box of legendary progressive rock veterans URIAH HEEP has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"This is a very sad day today, as we have lost one of the true great rock singers of our time, Ronnie James Dio. He was a wonderful man, and whenever our paths crossed on the road we always shared a laugh or two, and I can honestly say he was a true gentleman of the highest order, and a shining example to us all. He will now be singing in rock 'n' roll heaven, which is our loss and their gain. He will be sadly missed as a singer, writer and a friend, and he really did have a set of golden pipes that really set the standards for others to follow. There will surely not be another one like him, and his music will live on forever."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

Former VAN HALEN Bassist: DIO Was 'Definitely A Driving Force In Hard Rock Music' - May 18, 2010
Ex-VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT bassist Michael Anthony spoke to The Pulse of Radio and Billboard.com about the influence and legacy of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio, who passed away this past Sunday, May 16 after a six-month battle with stomach cancer.

[Courtesy of The Pulse of Radio] "I don't know anybody that didn't grow up listening to his stuff. You know, VAN HALEN, we used to do from the first RAINBOW album, we did 'Man On The Silver Mountain'. I remember one time, the second VAN HALEN tour we were doing some festivals in Europe, and we actually played on the same show as Ronnie's band. Real powerful voice, you know, and definitely a driving force in hard rock music, that guy was."

[Courtesy of Billboard.com] "[Ronnie] was a great guy. I remember when we opened for them, all of us were back at the hotel having some drinks; it was his birthday, and I remember us all just hanging out, and he was just a great guy."

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online