Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

The Big 4

Slayer
Megadeth
Metallica
Anthrax

Talk and reflect on Dio and their memories. :grinthumb

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth

RONNIE JAMES DIO Tribute Album And Concerts In The Works; Autobiography Due In 2012 - Nov. 4, 2010
Eric Blair of "The Blairing Out With Eric Blair Show" conducted an interview with Wendy Dio — wife/manager of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW, DIO) — at this past Friday night's (October 29) Dimebash 2010 event, which was held in honor of the late, great "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott (PANTERA, DAMAGEPLAN) at the world-famous Key Club on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, California. You can now watch the chat below.

On the Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up And Shout" Cancer Fund, which will receive a donation of over $10,000 raised from Dimebash 2010:

Wendy: "We set the fund up because I wanted to make sure that if a kid gave me $10, it was going to the right place and not going into some fat cat's pocket. So we've raised a lot of money — over $300,000. We gave $100,000 this week, actually, to T.J. Martell for cancer research and especially for colon cancer and stomach cancer. I met all the researchers and they've invited me to go to Nashville whenever I want to see exactly where the money is going. We're giving another $100,000 to M.D. Anderson [Cancer Center in Houston], which is the hospital that Ronnie was at, the treatment center, and they're gonna put it in Ronnie's name and it will be research for stomach cancer with Ronnie's doctor, the oncologist that treated him — he's got a research going on to try and find a cure for stomach cancer. We've got a lot of things coming up. We've got a lot of guitars that we've been collecting, autographed guitars from everyone, and we're gonna have a big auction, probably in March, at Christie's or Sotheby's. We have to raise a lot money from that. We're also gonna do a tribute CD with Ronnie's friends, which is mostly everybody in the music business, and we're going to do a concert, probably in October or November of next year — one in New York, one in London and one in L.A."

On what the upcoming Ronnie James Dio tribute concerts are going to be like:

Wendy: "I think it'll be a lot of Ronnie's friends [performing]. I've already got some people lined up, but I can't say right now, but I will [announce] it early [next] year. I think it will just be Ronnie's music being played, living on, his legacy living on, [with] proceeds going to cancer [research], to help [find a cure for] cancer, and with his friends. And just a celebration of life."

On the recent Dio tribute concert at the High Voltage festival in England with a performance by the surviving members of HEAVEN & HELL alongside Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) on vocals:

Wendy: "Glenn Hughes is one of our very best friends, and it was very touching for him. He did a great job and he's a wonderful person and he's a wonderful friend. He also sang at the funeral and the memorial. We had a funeral the day before [the public memorial], a private one for the family, and he sang there also."

On the upcoming live/concert CDs and DVDs from Ronnie's career:

Wendy: "Ronnie and I formed a record label, Niji Entertainment Group, before he got sick. And this is one of the things that we were planning on doing — releasing a lot of stuff. And we had looked at the BBC tapes [of DIO's performances at the Monsters Of Rock/Castle Donington festivals in England]; we had gone to the BBC, we had to get permission from them [to release the recordings from the] 1983 [edition of the] Donington [festival] and 1987 [installment of] Donington. Ronnie had gone and remastered them with his engineer he always worked with, so he actually is the executive producer on those CDs. When he got sick, we put it on hold, but since he's passed away, I know it was something he wanted to do, so I wanna keep his music alive. And I know he was really happy with the production and the sound of it, so that will come out November 9."

On Ronnie James Dio's upcoming autobiography:

Wendy: "The book is three-quarters written. I'm gonna finish it. I have a book deal already. I have to finish it by June, and it will come out in early 2012."

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Manowar Tribute to Dio with Holyhell

This is cool...Some great OLD photos!!

:uc:

I know there is the tribute CD but this should be an entire movie/DVD.

51MA11H8eXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth:

BUTLER: DIO DIDN’T HAVE TO DIE
This News Is Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

Last May, the world lost heavy metal great Ronnie James Dio to cancer and the rocker’s Heaven & Hell and Black Sabbath bandmate, Geezer Butler says that Dio didn’t have to die. Geezer told Noisecreep.com that had Ronnie seen a doctor earlier, he could have been treated. The bassist went on to say that after Heaven and Hell members Tony Iommi and Vinny Appice got routine colonoscopies, they complained about the procedure and Ronnie stated he would never do anything like that. Had Ronnie gotten one, Butler feels his cancer would’ve been caught.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockmagazine.com

Vivian Campbell Talks About Ronnie Dio’s Death
mdome / News / 12/01/2011 14:41pm

Def Leppard/Thin Lizzy guitarist Vivian Campbell has spoken publicly for the first time about the death of Ronnie James Dio.

The pair worked together on the first three Dio albums, before Irishman Campbell left to join Whitesnake in 1987. Their subsequent relationship was strained, to say the least.

But, talking to Rush On Rock, the Irishman had this to say about the passing of the iconic singer: “I was numb to the whole thing. I hadn’t talked to Ronnie in 25 years, so it wasn’t as if we were close. My mother died nine or 10 days before him, so I was preoccupied with that. And my father died nine months before that. It was a really tough year on a personal level, and I had enough to think about.

“The news about Ronnie James Dio just bounced off me. It was a difficult relationship on a personal level anyway. I was really proud of the music we made together but it was tough being in a band together. But he died way too young.”

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

blabbermouth:

BUTLER: DIO DIDN’T HAVE TO DIE

Tony Iommi and Vinny Appice got routine colonoscopies, they complained about the procedure and Ronnie stated he would never do anything like that. Had Ronnie gotten one, Butler feels his cancer would’ve been caught.

I'm hardly a medical expert, but can/do they find stomach cancer from a colonoscopy? Colon cancer, sure... but didn't know they could find anything other than that. Seems like a stretch.

*shrug*

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score

Shocked by what Vivian said. " bounced off me ? " even if you didn't like the man personally, he was a consummate professional and a very influential person in music.

I saw Dio once, again in a small club, Hollywood Taxi, in my town Springfield. This was on the Magica tour. The club holds about 500 at most. I don't know what it is about DIO but he attracts rednecks by the droves in small towns i guess ( im kind of a redneck too so calm down )...about 50 jacked up toyota pickups in the parking lot cranking DIO. It was great.

The show was great. Dio is on the Same par as Klaus Meine as far as vocals in my opinion. Tone, Control and no falsetto. He did the whole bit. Even the " big black sheep " thing in the middle of heaven and hell. He did go off on his monitor guy a couple of times...like 4. Id hate to be on the bad end of that lil dude. He gets PISSED !

Was a great show and this town was honored to have him here. Dio is a consummate musician performer. RIP DIO.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^ Dude I believe that's Big Black Shape :heheh: :grinthumb

You know there was something not at all well between Ronnie and Vivian.

This video that shows Ronnie signing autographs for fans says it all.

:uc:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online