Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

blabbermouth:

Surviving HEAVEN & HELL Members To Pay Tribute To RONNIE JAMES DIO At HIGH VOLTAGE Festival - June 14, 2010
HEAVEN & HELL's 2009 album, "The Devil You Know", was honored in the "Best Album" category at this year's Metal Hammer Golden Gods awards, which was held earlier tonight (Monday, June 14) at the IndigO2 venue in South London, England. While accepting the award on behalf of HEAVEN & HELL, guitarist Tony Iommi announced he and the other surviving members of the band will pay tribute to the group's late singer, Ronnie James Dio, at the High Voltage festival on Saturday, July 24 at Victoria Park in London, U.K. Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice will take to the stage with guest vocalists and perform a 60-minute set of songs in memory of Dio, who sadly lost his fight against stomach cancer last month. Proceeds from their concert will go to the Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up and Shout" Cancer Fund.

It was previously announced that two major tribute concerts would be held to celebrate Dio's life and music. The gigs were to take place in London and Los Angeles.

There are also plans to hold annual events in the years to follow to honor Dio's memory and to raise money for cancer awareness and support.

More than 1,200 fans attended the public memorial service for Dio on May 30 at the Hall Of Liberty at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills in California. The service featured performances by QUEENSRŸCHE singer Geoff Tate, former DEEP PURPLE bassist Glenn Hughes, ANTHRAX vocalist Joey Belladonna and others. There were also personal tributes from Ronnie's family members, bandmates and business associates, including his wife and manager Wendy and his son Dan Padovona, who warned everyone to take care of themselves and get screened early for cancer, saying, "(Don't) make the same mistake my dad made."

According to the Associated Press, hundreds more gathered in the scorching heat outside the auditorium to watch the memorial on monitors.

Dio, regarded as one of metal's finest and most influential voices, sang with BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW and his own self-named band.

Dio's cousin David "Rock" Feinstein, who played with him in the band ELF, told the attendees, "I know that Ronnie truly loved all of you. He had a great appreciation for your loyalty. I'm talking about all you out there, all the fans."

A planned protest at the Dio memorial by the fringe Christian congregation of Kansas' Westboro Baptist Church was, according to one eyewitness, "cordoned off outside of Forest Lawn grounds proper and were small in number with an at least equal number of counter-protesters."

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Ronnie James Dio singing ''Aqualung'' back in the Elf days...

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockmagazine.com

Tony Iommi: Heaven & Hell Tribute To Dio At High Voltage Is One-Off
mdome / News, Top Posts / 08/07/2010 11:30am

Tony Iommi has told Classic Rock that Heaven & Hell’s tribute set for Ronnie James Dio at High Voltage is a one-off.

“We thought it would be nice to do a final thing for Ronnie,’ says guitarist Iommi. ‘To be honest, we didn’t expect to be playing again. It’s certainly going to be a strange feeling.”

Heaven & Hell – Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Vinny Appice – will play the main stage at High Voltage on July 24. They’ll be joined by vocalists Glenn Hughes and Jorn Lande.

“This is going to be the only one,” adds Iommi. “It would have been good, I suppose, for other people to have seen it, but this is something that we needed to do for ourselves as well.”

For full details on High Voltage, go to High Voltage Festival

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

from blabbermouth:

TONY IOMMI On The Future Of HEAVEN & HELL And BLACK SABBATH - July 11, 2010
Paul Cole of the Sunday Mercury recently conducted an interview with the legendary BLACK SABBATH/HEAVEN & HELL guitarist Tony Iommi. A few excerpts from the chat follow below.

On late HEAVEN & HELL/BLACK SABBATH singer Ronnie James Dio:

"I first met Ronnie at a party in Los Angeles, and we got on well. I liked him straight away because he wasn't flash like many of the people in this business. He was a nice guy, very down to earth.

"So when things weren't working out with Ozzy (the rock wildman was sacked in 1979 after becoming increasingly unreliable) I called Ronnie and invited him over for a rehearsal. He'd just left RAINBOW, and was free.

"Call it fate if you like. He was really good. I played a couple of guitar riffs I'd been working on, and he just sang away. By the time we'd finished, I knew he was the new BLACK SABBATH singer.

"We hit the road on a long tour, and it was always going to be difficult for Ronnie to step into Ozzy's [Osbourne] shoes. At first the crowds were chanting: 'Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy!' but Ronnie was a blindingly good singer and worked the crowds well.

"Within a few dates, he'd been accepted. We played the U.S., Europe, Australia and Japan and it got better with every gig.

"Ronnie had the common touch. He preferred a good pint of real ale to bourbon or champagne, and he'd spend hours after the gigs just chatting with the fans, posing for pictures and signing autographs.

"When he came to rehearse at my house in the Midlands, he'd stay at a posh hotel but was always slipping out to find some spit and sawdust pub and sit at the bar, talking with the regulars.

"Had Ronnie not come along when he did, I think BLACK SABBATH would have ended there and then.

"But he had such a unique voice, and was so utterly professional, that he gave us good reason to carry on. He gave us something new."

On Ronnie's death:

"The first inkling we had that anything was wrong came when Ronnie complained about stomach ache. At first we all just thought that he had an acid tummy. You never expect the worst.

"Ronnie took painkillers but nothing seemed to shift it. Just before we went onstage one night, I said to him: ‘You want to go and get that checked, you know.' He said that he would when he got time.

"On some nights he was in agony onstage but he'd just carry on. Sometimes he was on his last legs, but he insisted on completing each and every show of the tour. For Ronnie, the show must go on.

"After the tour we had to take a break. I have problems with my left hand, and I went in to have stem cell treatment to see if it would ease the pain.

"Ronnie was going to go off and do a short solo tour during the break but decided to go and see his doctor. He was referred to hospital for tests and they found the cancer. He had a tumor in his stomach."

"I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it. I was talking with Ronnie right up to the week before he passed away, and he was optimistic. He told me the chemotherapy seemed to be working.

"The tumor had been shrinking and they gave him the go-ahead to come back out on the road.

"Our summer tour got the green light and we were constantly on the phone, talking about what songs we'd do.

"Ronnie was really excited. We were going to try out some new songs; the band was really tight; we were on fire. He was so looking forward to the European tour. It was going to be a new lease of life.

"But early in May they found that the cancer had spread to Ronnie's liver, and things went downhill pretty quickly. We cancelled all the tour dates, still hoping against hope that he'd pull through. He was a fighter.

"It wasn't to be. Geezer Butler (bass player with HEAVEN & HELL and BLACK SABBATH) spent a lot of time in hospital, sitting by Ronnie's bedside. He went through it all with him, and he was there right to the end.

"I'd had to come back to Britain but I kept in touch by phone and by e-mail. Then I got the call I'd been dreading. Geezer told me that he didn't think Ronnie had long left to live. I tried to get the first flight out there but I was too late.

"I wasn't quick enough to say farewell. He died on May 16. In the end, I flew out for the funeral on May 30. We were all devastated by his passing. He was one of a kind, and can never be replaced."

On the upcoming July 24 tribute concert at the High Voltage festival in London's Victoria Park:

"This will be the very last gig we play as HEAVEN & HELL. We chose the name because the band comprised the BLACK SABBATH lineup that made the 'Heaven And Hell' album. We couldn't carry on under that name without Ronnie. It just wouldn't be right, and none of us has the desire to do that. We wouldn't call ourselves BLACK SABBATH either."

On being joined at the upcoming tribute concert by singer Glenn Hughes and Norwegian frontman Jorn Lande:

"Glenn sang at Ronnie's funeral, doing a great version of 'Catch The Rainbow'. Jorn is best known in the U.K. as the singer for MASTERPLAN.

"He sounds spookily like Ronnie. We had thought about bringing him in on the summer tour as a back-up. If Ronnie had felt too weak or too tired, we'd get Jorn to deputize. But, of course, it was never to be."

On what's next for Tony Iommi:

"We'd like to do something, and carry on playing. But in what form — and with what singer — I don't know.

"Geezer is back in Britain this week so we can rehearse for the tribute. Maybe then we'll have time to see what the future holds."

MusicMistress

Reaction score

There is a lot of love in this thread for Dio, which I think is fantastic. Ronnie was a great guy, and is definitely loved and missed by all his fans.

I deeply thank Ritchie Blackmore for bringing Dio to Rainbow and placing him in a musical spotlight. I also thank Ozzy for opening up the opportunity for Dio with Black Sabbath. Then bless the teaming up with Vinny Appice to form "Dio". What a metal legend Ronnie became.

Hungry for Heaven

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

from blabbermouth

RONNIE JAMES DIO Limited-Edition Rock Iconz Statue Coming Soon - Aug. 5, 2010
The officially licensed Ronnie James Dio (BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL, RAINBOW, DIO) Rock Iconz limited edition statue by KnuckleBonz is now available for pre-order. Limited quantities ship late 2010. (Actual product shots will be released in the coming weeks.)

The sculpture of Dio is displayed with his signature devil horns and iconic crouched stance.

All figures in the Rock Iconz series are limited editions and the Ronnie James Dio statue is very exclusive with only 3,000 pieces slated for production. A portion of all sales from Welcome to KnuckleBonz® will be donated to the "Stand Up and Shout" Cancer Fund created in honor of Ronnie James Dio.

The Dio statue by KnuckleBonz is created using a team of highly skilled artists to sculpt a remarkable likeness. The limited-edition figure will be cast in a poly-resin and hand-paint in fine detail. Each sculpture in the Rock Iconz series is hand-numbered and displayed on an attractive wooden base.

Commented KnuckleBonz: "To say it's a great honor and privilege to be working with Ronnie's family and friends at the Niji Entertainment Group would be the understatement of the year.

"While there is much excitement here about this new statue, it's not without mixed emotion.

"It was not a matter of 'if' we would try to get with Ronnie to create a limited-edition piece for our Rock Iconz series, it was just 'when.'

"During an internal meeting on new projects, just after Thanksgiving 2009, we discussed the design for a Dio statue at length as this is an obvious fit for the Rock Iconz series. Just a short time after this meeting, we learned of Ronnie James Dio's illness so we thought it best to wait for his recovery to approach Niji for a project.

"Two weeks ago, Dio's management group asked us to do a piece in tribute to Ronnie James Dio. This is something that Ronnie wanted to do, and we are honored that his wife, Wendy, along with Dio's long time friends over at Niji Entertainment have selected us to create this statue in honor of the great metal and hard rock legend.

"We will take great care to make sure the attention to detail and quality of the statue design is a true tribute to Dio.

"Most of us here at KnuckleBonz were onto Dio early with the first RAINBOW records. Ronnie's soaring vocals and unrivaled talent on top of the mystical elements of that band were a one-of-a kind combo. We never left Ronnie's music from that point on and we never will."

ronniefigure.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

The set list for Heaven And Hell at the High Voltage Festival ,.,

1.E5150
2.The Mob RulesJorn Lande vocals
3.IJorn Lande vocals
4.Country GirlGlenn Hughes vocals
5.Children of the SeaGlenn Hughes vocals
6.Turn Up The NightJorn Lande vocals
7.VoodooJorn Lande vocals
8.Bible BlackGlenn Hughes vocals
9.Falling Off the Edge of the WorldGlenn Hughes vocals
10.Die YoungJorn Lande vocals
11.Heaven and HellJorn Lande/Glenn Hughes vocals
Encore:
12.Neon KnightsJorn Lande/Glenn Hughes vocals (with Phil Anselmo)

Wendy Dio came on and thanked everyone it was really emotional but a good way to say goodbye and pay respect. The crowd did there bit it was great.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online

No members online now.