Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

I think a lot of people don't know this Dio song - This is your Life from Angry Machines(1996)

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score

After sulking for a week I figured I’d put in my two cents on the late, great Ronnie Dio. I’m especially bummed because I never saw him with Sabbath and was looking forward to catching a Heaven and Hell show this summer. The first time I heard him was when my older brother brought home Black Sabbath’s Heaven and Hell. I was blown away. It’s a perfect album from start to finish. Never listened to Sabbath before that and I always preferred Dio to Ozzy in that band. Later I discovered Rainbow and Elf and thought Dio was simply one of the best hard rock/metal singer’s in the world. You can find vocal performances of him dating back to 1957 singing doo-wop. So he’s been a singer his whole life perfecting his craft until he found his niche in metal. Those mid ‘70s shows with Rainbow are his best performances in my opinion. I also think his version of Mistreated with Rainbow is better than Deep Purple’s with David Coverdale.
Another bold statement:
His version of War Pigs is as good as Ozzy’s and his singing the melody of Tony Iommi’s ending guitar solo adds to the song.

He certainly was in demand by England’s hard rock royalty. At the dawn of the 80’s Black Sabbath was sounding dated in the wake of the new wave of British heavy metal. (Although I think Never Say Die is as good a Sabbath album as any) I love the irony that Dio, an American, ushered in a new sound with Sabbath to contend. Blackmore and Iommi praise the guy. And you got to love the fact he told Blackmore to stick it when the later pursued a more commercial sound in Rainbow.
I remember it was kind of big news when Dio’s solo band came out. He made a guitar icon of Vivian Campbell. Those first two Dio albums are awesome with Vinnie Appice and Jimmy Bain. Almost a Sabbath/Rainbow super group. I first saw him on the Sacred Heart tour around ’85 and the stage show was pretty cool. A bit over the top even as a teenager with dragons and lasers but cool non the less. His band was always top flight.
Even his 90’s output was good. Strange Highways is a great album. A lot of his 90’s stuff was borderline thrash. He rolled with the changes and never compromised himself. Last time I saw him was in ’02 with Deep Purple and The Scorpions.
I’m glad he put down some great, meaningful music with Heaven And Hell before he left us.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I never got to see Dio live and just missed him on a few occasions, like with Sabbath on the Dehumanizer tour. I am deeply saddened for his family, friends and fans he will be missed, here are a few of my faves and some of his best imo :metal:

I miss him dearly he was such a talent and men like him are rare :(

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

from blabbermouth:

RONNIE JAMES DIO's Wife/Manager: 'We Need To Turn The Other Cheek' On WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH - May 21, 2010
Wendy Dio, wife/manager of late heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement in response to reports that the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) — an independent Baptist church and hate group known for its hatred of homosexuals and its protest activities (which include picketing funerals) — intends to picket Ronnie's upcoming public memorial service:

"Ronnie hates prejudice and violence! We need to turn the other cheek on these people that only know how to hate someone they didn't know. We only know how to love someone we know!"

The church, which was the subject of a 2007 BBC documentary entitled "The Most Hated Family In America", is made up mostly of pastor Fred Phelps and his family. The pastor has 13 children, and at least 54 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren. He described himself as an "old-time" gospel preacher in a CNN interview in 2006, saying, "You can't preach the Bible without preaching the hatred of God."

Ronnie James Dio's public memorial service will be held on Sunday, May 30 at 2:00 p.m. at The Hall Of Liberty located at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, California.

For more information on the Westboro Baptist Church, read this entire CNN.com article from June 2009.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

from blabbermouth:

Former SCORPIONS Drummer Says RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Will Never Be Forgotten' - May 21, 2010
Former SCORPIONS drummer Herman Rarebell has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"I knew Ronnie for quite some time — he often came to SCORPIONS shows over the years.

"Although he just passed away last weekend, I already really miss him.

"Hanging out with Ronnie was always fun and we always had a great time laughing and joking.

"Without a doubt, he will go down in history as one of the greatest singers in the world of heavy metal and hard rock.

"The best way we should remember Ronnie and to celebrate his life is to break out any one of his classic recordings from RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, DIO, or HEAVEN & HELL.

"Ronnie, you will never be forgotten."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

from blabbermouth:

LIT Bassist Pays Tribute To RONNIE JAMES DIO - May 21, 2010
Bassist Kevin Baldes of the Orange County rock band LIT has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Anybody who has ever met Ronnie James Dio will tell you, without a doubt, he was the nicest guy in rock n' roll. And now, let me be yet one more person to confirm this statement.

"Ronnie James Dio was not only a rock star, he was a legend. However, these labels and these roles never took precedent over who he really was at the core... and that was a warm, decent, gracious human being.

"Ronnie was a glowing example of kindness, not only for entertainers and musicians to learn from, but a lesson for all people in general. And when it came to music, it seems this was his calling from day one. A calling to live music. To feel music. And most importantly, to share music. Share it with the masses. And Mr. Dio did just that. He did it through his own brand of metal and he did it with an unwavering passion and conviction that came from the purest place in his heart.

"Dio forged his own path and it was a path from which he never strayed.

"On May 16th, music lost a magical voice. But more so, the world lost a magical person with a beautiful heart. For certain, there will never be another like him.

"Ronnie James Dio was, and always will be, the godfather of heavy metal. And I was, and always will always be, fortunate to have known him.

"You will be truly missed."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

SCORPIONS: The Passing Of RONNIE JAMES DIO Is A Huge Loss To The World Of Rock And Roll - May 22, 2010
German hard rock veterans SCORPIONS have released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"The passing of Ronnie James Dio is a huge loss to the world of rock and roll.

"He will be missed by millions of fans around the world.

"He was an amazing artist, lovely human being, and a dear friend.

"We will miss you, Ronnie."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

YNGWIE MALMSTEEN: DIO Was 'Without A Doubt The Most Brilliant Of All Rock Sirens' - May 22, 2010
Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"I'm deeply saddened by the devastating news.

"Ronnie was a dear friend and without a doubt the most brilliant of all rock sirens. He lives forever in our hearts and will never be a equaled.

"Long live Ronnie James Dio."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am still getting a little choked up reading all these posts 70's Guy, the respect for Ronnie goes way beyond just a famous rock singer, he was a genuine person and that comes through in almost every comment offered so far.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Dio's last interview:

And here is a special treat, the last studio recording from Dio, "Electra", which was suppose to appear on his album he was working on "Magica"....This song was recorded literally a couple weeks before his cancer diagnosis.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pirvu Alex

Staff online

Members online