Rolling Stones - "A Bigger Bang"

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
Re: New Stones album - A BIGGER BANG

I've given this maybe 3 spins now.
good points: they've got their chops!! I like that 'Ronnie Wood Era' sound, especially on the rockers. they are tight as can be, Charile's as snappy as ever. It's mixed real good. Nothing fancy.

bad points: sorry, once somebody's written over a hundred songs I guess new ones remind you of old ones. there's some great tunes to be sure but many have that 'paint by number' quality that latter day Stones albums seem to have. few of these songs sound like they were dragged up by life. they sound like it was time to make an album.

overall: if they had something to prove, they proved it. I think the wildly enthusiastic reviews show a LOT of people thought they were down for the count, they aren't.

not by a long shot.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Re: New Stones album - A BIGGER BANG

It's the first Stones album since Tattoo You that I was tempted to buy. They do have still have their chops and I certainly think they sound great here. Not great like Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers great but certainly good enough to make people sit up and take notice.

Glad to see the geezers still rocking. Makes my middle-aged heart go pitter-pat. ;)

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
Re: a bigger bang

okay, I'll admit it, it's REAL good.
at first, I thought people were overdoing it. Like McCartney's album, I thought people were giving them MAJOR brownie points just because it didn't suck. It doesn't suck.
But, it's better than not sucking. I've long wanted a Stones album that didn't sound like they were trying to win new listeners or get played on the radio. well, this isn't that album, the stones will always try to get new listeners and get played on the radio as long as they punch the timeclock.

that's just it, they really sound like they'd rather be punching that timeclock than doing anything else under the sun. 'a bigger bang' has an immediate punch. I guess that's why so many warmed to it so quickly. I think it has a real good chance at having a shelf life. It's confident and sassy and has that sound. that big chuggy honking sound.
I LOVE that sound.

Ares

Reaction score

I love the new album. The music video for Streets of Love was on tv last night. I thought it was decent. I just love how the stones adapt to times but keep with their roots. They are just an amazing band and I love them. I was supposed to see them live in Florida this past year but my plans were changed.... ugh

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

I dig the song called Sweet Neo Con......where Mick shoves it all up THEIR (CONS!!) as*e*!!!! :):):)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.