Rolling Stone Top 10 Prog Albums

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Re: Rolling Stone Top Ten

It's always strange to see Leftoverture rated higher than Masque or Point of Know Return. You see that on other boards as well. Good list.

It's not easy to pick a prog top ten, maybe some day......But the number one spot is easy though.....Wish You Were Here.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Thanks Tony, Leftoverture is my favorite Kansas album, any of the others you mentioned or Song For America is worthy on this kind of list.

I almost posted "Hamburger Concerto", but figured You would take care of that when you post your list.:grinthumb

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score

I like Focus but Hamburger won't be in my top ten. Some Genesis, Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull will be though.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I forgot about Tull...:sm:

I was going to post SFTW,,,ah well serves me right for posting my picks before the coffee kicked in.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score

Always hard to choose between favourites Songs From The Wood, Aqualung, Thick As A Brick and Heavy Horses.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^ That looks good to me, Bruce, although I don't know much about Beggar's Opera.

They were new to me a few years ago, I found Act One by accident but was very impressed. I have 3 of their albums but that one I play the most.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score

It's more difficult to choose a prog top ten than an all-time or 70's top ten.

Ten from this list maybe?

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Roxy Music - Stranded
Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
Jethro Tull - Songs From the Wood
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Gentle Giant - Three friends
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Rush - 2112
Brand X - Moroccan Roll
Kansas - Masque
Kansas - Point of Know Return
Soft Machine - I
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Nice list EF, some of those could easily have been in my top ten. As LG said it's not an easy task ... what do you leave out ? :bonk:

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score

Regarding Rush: Their first eight albums or so certainly were prog(ok maybe not the first two). If not what would you call them? They were very heavy but also very prog sounding from about the third album up through around Signals then they became more new wavish and synth rock sounding(almost like the Fixx at one point). Great band regardless of how you want to label them and the fact is they went through several different phases and styles. THey seem to be most comfortable when they really rock out though and play stuff that is a bit on the heavier side. THey have the energy and enthusiasm to pull it off even at their age. My personal favorite album by them is probably Hemispheres but they are a band that can pretty much do no wrong by me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online