YES ~ Fragile
ELOY ~ Ocean
GENTLE GIANT ~ Free Hand
RUSH ~ Fly By Night
FRANK ZAPPA ~ One Size Fits All
KANSAS ~ Song For America

Tried to mix the bands up it up but still have bands pulling double duty

Nice seeing Kansas on your list.

I'll ponder this for a day or two before lobbing my picks out there.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Rolling Stone Top Ten

I'm interested to see what your top ten progressive rock albums might be, LG. Presonally I stuck stricly to prog rock and left out progressive metal or I might not have been able to narrow it down at all. I had to leave out a pretty good amount of material that are strong contenders as is.

It's too bad there aren't more prog fans these days.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Now that I think of it Hemispheres is one of the few Rush albums I don't have, or if I do I haven't listened to it. :think:

I like that list though. Sorry to sound cliche but I'd put Dark Side at the top.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

YES ~ Close to the Edge
PINK FLOYD ~ Animals
PINK FLOYD ~ Wish You Were Here
ELP ~ Tarkus
YES ~ Fragile
ELOY ~ Ocean
GENTLE GIANT ~ Free Hand
RUSH ~ Fly By Night
FRANK ZAPPA ~ One Size Fits All
KANSAS ~ Song For America

Tried to mix the bands up it up but still have bands pulling double duty
Nice list there. I put Animals and Wish You Were High on my list too. None of the other Floyd albums is close to the same level of enjoyment for me as those 2 are. And Rush Fly by Night is my favourite as well.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

"Scenes From a Memory" is consistently in my favorite albums of all time list so you won't see me complaining about it taking the top spot. :D I wouldn't have minded seeing "In The Court Of the Crimson King" at #2 though.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

^^I thought you were going to load up with RUSH albums Mighty Ent...??

Could have LG there are so many great ones to choose from, I went with "A Farewell To Kings" in the end on the strength of Xanadu; mighty epic song.
There seems to have been a surge over here in the prog world with an awards ceremony and late night tv shows recognising the value and contributions the great bands made to modern music.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I'll wager we could ask you the same question a couple months from now and your list would be different Old Ent.:D It's damned hard to pick just 10, like choosing among your kids.

I'll post mine tomorrow.

"Scenes From a Memory" is consistently in my favorite albums of all time list so you won't see me complaining about it taking the top spot. :D I wouldn't have minded seeing "In The Court Of the Crimson King" at #2 though.

I agree, I don't mind them being on top of a poll like this, it's refreshing especially when you see newer bands getting obliterated all the time in polls by the old standards.(That won't stop me from posting my Number One favorite prog record of all time though.:grinthumb)

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score

2112, Moving Pictures, and Dark Side are the only ones on that list I own.

I never looked at Moving Pictures as being prog rock. It's what, 9-10 songs? All pretty much in the standard song format. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, chorus, fade.

As far as the rest, I've never been a big fan of prog rock, (I couldn't name a single Dream Theater song), so I'm in no position to comment on the top 10 list.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I've always considered RUSH a prog band, and MP is a masterpiece although I would grant that it's "Accessible Prog", there a new genre invented by me.:heheh:

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score

"Accessible Prog"

That's a perfect description.

It also fits with the only Yes album I own,(as all the Yes lifers roll their eyes), 90125. Prog rock filtered down to fit the mainstream. I remember a LOT of Yes fans (every one of my cousins, among others), that decried that as their biggest disappointment ever, in regards to anticipation for a new release.

The culprit behind this travesty of musicianship? Once again, thanks, MTV. Make it watchable first. Worry about the music (or not) later.

I'll admit, I'm the 'mainstream' when it comes to Yes, Rush, Kansas, and the like.

I like them enough to own a little, but not enough to be able to burn my own 'Greatest Hits' cd from their cds.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online