Rock Stars who died at 27

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
I found this article about rock stars who died at 27.
http://www.iep-langues.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=36
They all were great artists and all had flawed characters. Which one do you think would have had the most impact if they had lived?

I would have to pick Jimi Hendrix. I think he had just started to tap into his musical genius. He had gotten into a rut where fans were expecting to see the Jimi Hendrix that had been made popular earlier. I do think in time he would have been able to overcome that and make more great music.

runtfan

Reaction score
Yep,Hendrix was the biggest loss of these four in terms of what may have been yet to come. I think the 70's would have been a interesting and productive decade for Hendrix. I always had the feeling that Morrison and Joplin, especially Morrison, were pretty much played out when they died.

eccentric man

Reaction score
i think it's a toss up between hendrix and cobain. i'm gonna have to side with hendrix a bit more but both we're at definite transitional points in their careers when they passed.

as much as i'd like to say hendrix was on the way back, i find the isle of wight performance recorded weeks before his death to be long and tired. could be that they started at 4 in the morning though. on the other hand a proper band of gypsies album could have trumped everything by the experience. definite possibility of a 2nd impact.

i don't think cobain would have had any more impact than he already did, he would have just guided his influence directly had he lived instead of letting courtney love sell the rights to his music last year. with the success of the unplugged album i figure cobain would have gone the neil young route where nirvana would be his version of crazy horse. i really don't think cobain was ever going to top his initial impact on mainstream music though. he would have continued to be influential and popular but where the net started taking over music distribution from tv and radio just a few years after his suicide i don't think nirvana would have ever topped their initial impact on the mainstream.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
i think it's a toss up between hendrix and cobain. i'm gonna have to side with hendrix a bit more but both we're at definite transitional points in their careers when they passed.

as much as i'd like to say hendrix was on the way back, i find the isle of wight performance recorded weeks before his death to be long and tired. could be that they started at 4 in the morning though. on the other hand a proper band of gypsies album could have trumped everything by the experience. definite possibility of a 2nd impact.

i don't think cobain would have had any more impact than he already did, he would have just guided his influence directly had he lived instead of letting courtney love sell the rights to his music last year. with the success of the unplugged album i figure cobain would have gone the neil young route where nirvana would be his version of crazy horse. i really don't think cobain was ever going to top his initial impact on mainstream music though. he would have continued to be influential and popular but where the net started taking over music distribution from tv and radio just a few years after his suicide i don't think nirvana would have ever topped their initial impact on the mainstream.

I agree with you EC. Hendrix would have probably reinvented himself several times over and had numerous "come backs" with such a fickle music industry. As far as Cobain and Nirvana, I don't think Dave Grohl would have been content just being the drummer and may have caused the proverbial "musical differences" that splits up so many bands.

Other interesting points of this topic:

The "J" factor. Jimi, Jim and Janis

Both guitarists were left handed.

So if you're a lefty who's name begins with J look out when your 27th birthday approaches.

eccentric man

Reaction score
from what i understand the first foo fighters album was pretty much already complete by the time nirvana ended. so grohl did have an outlet for his other abilities. i really think they could have been one of those bands that just took breaks instead of breaking up.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online