Rock is alive and well!! This years big summer tours!

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Aerosmith will probably be the hottest ticket of the summer, virtually impossible to get in fact, with hordes of American Idol fans drawn to seeing Stephen, even though I bet 90% of them can't even name one Aerosmith song. Though I don't especially understand this trend for all these 'package' tours, where established bands feel they have to hook up with other established bands, I'd quite like to see Styx and REO Speedwagon, but I'm not sure I could sit through like an hour of Ted Nugent, in fact I know I can't.

Apart from Springsteen and Pearl Jam that I have tickets for (both in Manchester in a few weeks time) the only show there that interests me and I am definitely going to try and get to see is the Doobies/Chicago tour in Virginia Beach, VA in August, because I know I am going to be over in DC most of August.

Be interesting to hear if anyone else here is planning on seeing any of these.

Fever

Reaction score
Most of those tours aren't coming near me.I am planning to see Chicago and The Doobies.I have seen Styx and REO a couple times lately,but it's been a few years since I have seen Nugent and with Derek St.Holmes back on lead vocals it will be a great show.Ted just can't sing Stranglehold like Derek.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yeah, firing him was the worst thing Nugent ever did.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Aerosmith will probably be the hottest ticket of the summer, virtually impossible to get in fact, with hordes of American Idol fans drawn to seeing Stephen, even though I bet 90% of them can't even name one Aerosmith song. Though I don't especially understand this trend for all these 'package' tours, where established bands feel they have to hook up with other established bands, I'd quite like to see Styx and REO Speedwagon, but I'm not sure I could sit through like an hour of Ted Nugent, in fact I know I can't.

Apart from Springsteen and Pearl Jam that I have tickets for (both in Manchester in a few weeks time) the only show there that interests me and I am definitely going to try and get to see is the Doobies/Chicago tour in Virginia Beach, VA in August, because I know I am going to be over in DC most of August.

Be interesting to hear if anyone else here is planning on seeing any of these.

Package tours can go either way. You can get an incredible bill for the same price as the headliner alone [2007 - Alice Cooper, Motorhead & Joan Jett £45] but it can be a bitch if certain bands only appear at the bottom of the bill, have shit sound and rarely headline their own shows [Joan Jett, Cheap Trick supporting Def Leppard 2006ish].

They are mainly an American thing, though they do come over to the UK. Def Leppard & Motley Crue with Steel Panther December 2011, Journey, Foreigner & Styx June 2010ish.

It's so that bands like Kiss, Motley Crue, Aerosmith etc can still play the prestigious Arenas, even though saturation levels of home nation touring means fans won't spend the big money those artists demand every single summer.

Unfortunately there is so much money to be made in spending 4 months touring the US, many of the big American bands don't need to come to cold, rubbish food Europe, or they do it very rarely.

Surprised it's limited to package tours that article, the up coming Rush tour will be massive business, and Van Halen have just added a whole extra run taking them into September.

Iron Maiden & Alice Cooper is just mindblowing.

Fever

Reaction score
Not sure how Raleigh got screwed out of the Alice Cooper/Iron Maiden bill but we get Alice Cooper and Venrez on June 22.Cooper and Maiden play Charlotte on June 21 and Atlanta June 23

We do get Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers though:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online

No members online now.