REO Speedwagon Question

Spankymadoo

Reaction score
Does anybody know the reason or the events that led up to Gray Richrath's departure from the band way back when? I never really heard anyone say what caused the split and was just wondering whatever happened to him? He was too talented a guitarist to just fall off the face of the earth.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I don't know Spanky,,,Craig might know the answer. I only had two albums of theirs back in the 80's and didn't follow them after Hi-Infidelity...:dunno:

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is what I found on allexperts.com,pretty confusing stuff. :confused:

-------------------------

You are here: Experts > Music/Performing Arts > 80s Music > REO Speedwagon > GARY RICHRATH

REO Speedwagon - GARY RICHRATH
Expert: Kathy - 3/3/2009

Question
I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED KNOW WHY DID GARY LEAVE REO SPEEDWAGON, HE WAS SUCH A BAD ASS GUITAR PLAYER, I JUST NEVER KNEW WHY HE LEFT, THANKS CLARK.

Answer
Hi Clark!

I could probably write a book about my observations about the dynamics of the band over the last 35 years, but let me summarize the Cronin/Richrath split the best I can.

In 1989, shortly after the departure of longtime REO drummer Alan Gratzer, both Gary and REO lead singer Kevin Cronin decided to split, citing irreconcilable differences in songwriting styles and the inability to form a consensus about what type of songs should appear on future REO albums. At the time, Kevin intended to pursue a separate solo career featuring his acoustic style. He had been playing small night clubs in L.A. and dabbling in a group he called the "Strolling Dudes" which featured jazz trumpet player Rick Braun (co-author of "Here With Me" from REO's 1988 "The Hits" album). At the time, Cronin was dating (and subsequently married) a Geffen Records executive, and thought he'd scored the fast track to a new recording contract. However, when Geffen's contract with Warner Brothers Records expired and Geffen unexpectedly sold out to Universal Music Group, Cronin's hoped-for recording contract never materialized, the "Dudes" disbanded, and KC appeared to be at a dead-end, career-wise, to market his funky new jazz sound.

In the meantime, Gary was intent to carry on the REO tradition and assembled the remaining members of REO -- keyboardist Neal Doughty, bassist Bruce Hall and drummer Graham Lear, along with new lead singer, Michael Jahnz. However, Richrath's efforts were thwarted when Cronin employed a number of financial threats, intimidations and legal maneuverings to return to the band. How he was able to finagle the whole situation is a saga unto itself. There's Kevin's version, Gary's version, Alan's version, management's version, the roadies' version, Gary's new band's version, etc. Whatever version you choose to believe, the bottom line was that Gary ultimately joined together with the members of Jahnz's former band, Vancouver, to form the Richrath band, leaving Cronin with rights to the REO trademark as the majority shareholder of REO Speedwagon, Inc.

VH1 unsuccessfully attempted to get to the bottom of this struggle, but gave up after more than 200 on-camera hours they shot for the band's one hour "Behind the Music" episode. The original version, which aired on August 12, 2001, was subsequently edited when VH1 management yielded to Cronin's threats and re-editing demands. Cronin initially claimed that Richrath put the band at risk with his addictions. However, when confronted with his own addictions which likewise put the band "at risk," he balked and refused to cooperate. After the smoke cleared and additional negotiations took place, Cronin recanted then claimed, "The door is always open to Gary" to rejoin the band. However, the day after the program aired, Kevin publicly decried at an Indianapolis concert I attended how "pissed off" he was at VH1 for "screwing everything up." He then turned to Dave Amato and proclaimed he was in the band "forever." The following week, VH1 pulled the original episode, and have run the re-edited version ever since. Cronin's statement, which he made without even attempting to contact Richrath after the program aired, appeared to remove any doubt regarding Cronin's intentions, and directly contradict what he originally told VH1.

The door to Richrath rejoining the band in some capacity was not always slammed shut. Several years before the VH1 episode was negotiated, Gary was approached by REO's management to consider several special projects with the band, but red tape got in the way and nothing was ever finalized. When REO contemplated the release of a 25th anniversary album, the band's management again contacted Gary about the possibility of writing one or two new songs on the CD. Unfortunately, that project fell through. Then, in September 1998 at the request of former REO drummer Alan Gratzer, Gary briefly joined REO onstage at the County Fair in Los Angeles to play a few licks from the band's encore song, "157 Riverside Avenue." Gary again made a brief appearance with REO in Los Angeles in May, 2000 for the same encore.

While explanations of what actually happened will be disputed by all parties involved, several people have provided interesting insights. You might want to check out my interview with Gary's former lead singer Michael Jahnz for his viewpoint. I also interviewed Alan Gratzer who talked about his departure from the band. Finally, there is an excellent post-REO interview Gary did with Vintage Guitar.

Of course, many fans, band roadies and former band members had ringside seats and love to talk about their experiences. You'll find an REO eGroup at this url: REOFANS : REO Speedwagon Fan Club as well as a Richrath group here: Gary_Richrath : Former REO Speedwagon Lead Guitarist

There's a lot more to be said, but I'm saving it for my book! Thanks for a great question about a great band!

Kathy
REO FANS Prez, REO-FANS.COM
Webmaster, Gary Richrath.com

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That is some convoluted story...I don't see how Cronin could leave the band and then prevent the remaining members from getting back together while he was off doing his own thing...:hm:

Sounds like a spiteful guy to me, one thing I can say, REO Speedwagon was better with Richrath in it than without him.

Spankymadoo

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that article 70's Guy. Sounds to me like KC was being a douche and Gary just said "screw it".
I agree, much better band with Gary on guitar.

Spankymadoo

Reaction score
I think Dave Amato is a very good guitarist but he is no Gary Richrath in my opinion

Agreed. Was Just listening to "Hi Infidelity, Then Again..Live." Amato does a good job on Gary's leads but they definitely miss Gary's touch.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online