Redd Kross

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Redd Kross
2221570937_81b249f8df.jpg

Redd Kross is a Power pop/Alternative rock/Pop punk/Hardcore punk band from Hawthorne, California. Their roots were from a band called The Tourists which was formed in 1978 by Jeff and Steve McDonald while the brothers were still in middle school. With the addition of friends Greg Hetson (Circle Jerks, Bad Religion) and Dave Keller on guitar and John Stielow on drums, the band's first gig was opening for Black Flag. At the time of their first self-titled EP, in 1980, the band changed their name to Red Cross, which was allegedly inspired by the masturbation scene in the film, "The Exorcist", but were threatened with a law suit by THE Red Cross. So they changed the name to Redd Kross to avoid and problems. (Some speculate Redd Kross was inspired by Redd Foxx.)
Heston left for the Circle Jerks and Bad Religion and Ron Reyes left for Black Flag.
Redd Kross songs appear on various soundtracks such as Good Burger, PCU, Bordello of Blood, An American Werewolf in Paris, and Varsity Blues.

Great band, really catchy and funny songs. Kurt Cobain was a pretty big fan of them which is how I came across this band. They are now one of my favorite bands.

Albums

Born Innocent (1982)
Teen Babes From Monsanto (1984)
Neurotica (1987)
Third Eye (1990)
Phaseshifter (1993)
Show World (1997)

EPs

Red Cross (1980)
2500 Redd Kross Fans Can't Be Wrong (1993)

DVDs

Got LIVE if you must (2008)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Not bad CN though as a Nirvana influencing band I like The Vaselines better! I can hear the influence from these guys as well though! They've got a pop garage rock sound IMO that a lot of the old school posters would probably like if they gave it a shot! :grinthumb

Reaction score
Getting Phaseshifter next time I get music, those tunes are really f**king good:D

great thread too

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I have just purchased "phaseshifter".............sounds good :grinthumb

REDD KROSS.....also known to do some wicked cover versions.....Deuce for example....and how about this.....

Drifter

Reaction score
Redd Kross were one of those bands who leave you scratching your head and wondering why they never became huge. They were sorta like Cheap Trick's bratty kid brothers. I think one of the main reasons they didn't break through to the mainstream was because they were so hard to pigeonhole. Were they punk? bubblegum? glitter?, power pop? etc. People didn't quite know what to make of them. Neurotica is their classic, IMHO. Fantastic band!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online