R. E. M. (Official Thread)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Yeah I found those songs on YouTube, Harborcoat sounds like a difficult song to sing Lyrically but it's interesting cause I've never heard anything like that before.

I also found Second Guessing and Time After Time on YouTube as well which I thought were alright. :)

Feel like I listened to a large bulk of the album now. :D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Mike Mills played with Joseph Arthur last night. Great show and they covered Don't go back to Rockville which Mike Sang.

13504711714_384065a06a_z.jpg

13504460633_2d54a0bef7_z.jpg

govango

Reaction score
Nice!!

I miss R.E.M.. :uh:

I do also. For a band as great as they were, I really thought we would hear more from them as solo artists. But not much, Peter plays with the Baseball Project and had his one solo album out. Stipe seems more involved in non musical projects.
I have always wanted Mills to do a solo album. Maybe one day.

govango

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Peter I believe has 2 solo albums out. The first one was self titled. The second one I think came out earlier this year if I'm not mistaken.

govango

Reaction score
oh ok. I only knew about the one that came out recently. Will have to look for it.

thanks,
govango

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
A lot of bands call it a day and you just think, well that's a shame, thanks for all the memories guys but it's maybe time that you did, but R.E.M. I think had so much more to say musically they were just so full of ideas, their last couple of albums maybe weren't classics, but it was pretty shocking when they just decided to quit for what, apparently, were simply reasons of creativity and purely musical, it's not as if there were any personality clashes of bad feeling in the band, they just said they had run out of steam basically. Miss them a lot, but they produced 15 fine albums, some of them real classics (New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Automatic for the People, Reveal) and some memories of the 4 phenomenal gigs of theirs I saw over the years, very few better live bands out there. It's the kind of situation where I can imagine them getting back together some day, so all is hopefully not lost.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
This is what grown up music sounds like...

As I grow older I find myself going back to the mellow and gorgeous Reveal album a lot more than the fast-paced rock of say, Accelerate. It's funny how Reveal was considered this huge disappointment by many people in 2001 and Accelerate was heralded as this great return to form in 2008. But Reveal seems to be a lot more rewarding in the long run. So many gorgeous songs on this album!

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
I was never a fan of R.E.M. back in the 80's and 90's. In the last week I bought Eponymous, Out Of Time, and Automatic for a grand total of 75 cents. Downloaded a few other hits by them from the 80's and I created a 20 track-80 minute CD of the songs I know the most and a few others that sounded like I would like 'em. Today I went for a drive and heard the whole CD. LOVED IT. Came home and I'm now playing my other R.E.M. cd's. After all these years I finally "get" them. Will be buying more in the future, they're easy to find but the early stuff ('82-'86) might be harder to track down.

I just found a new band to enjoy!

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online