R. E. M. (Official Thread)

TheHealer

Reaction score
Re: R. E. M.

I don't listen to their music alot these days and I'm not sure why.

My favorite album is Life's Rich Pageant. I've listened to it so many times over the years more so than any other R.E.M. album.

These Days

I Believe

Fall On Me

I think they are one of the few bands that have been in existence as long as they have and never released a bad album.

30 + years and I can't think of any R.E.M. album that was a stinker.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

Was a big fan of R.E.M. up to the Monster album. Just kind of lost track of them after that.

A few favorites:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score

I love R.E.M. but I don't know what it is with R.E.M. but for me they have just gone progressively backwards since the Reveal album in 2001. The last 3 records - all of which I have, so I am basing this on the evidence of my own ears - have been very very poor, especially Michael Stipe's songwriting/lyrics, he seems to have lost that abstract poetic cutting edge, there was a time you never quite knew what he was talking about as it was so obscure, but at least it was always interesting and thought provoking. Better not give up hope on them entirely yet, but they need a great knock-out album soon.

ANF

Reaction score

What are the opinions on the last two albums here? Personally I hated the three albums after Bill Berry left, but Accelerate and Collapse Into Now were a huge return to form for them to me. Granted some people will never be able to stop comparing it to their 80's and early 90's work but I think they are both very consistent albums. Word is that they're already back in the studio for a new album in 2012. If no tour means more albums, then by all means go for it.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I've been working my way backwards through R.E.M.'s catalog and I stumbled across this gem today. It's such a pretty, little song from the "Green" album. :)

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
Automatic For The People is among the decades best albums. If you havent gone through it at least once you're really missing out. Peace :)
Qv2yPTWHMbr2jUmYei3Lwlqdfg20TaS7MznGtzo4yoF7HCk9zq.jpg

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

^^^try to sing along to this song when you have had a couple drinks

:heheh:

And we're still here. :D

Umm well folks I have a confession to make, after all the dribble I was writing back in 2010 and trashing "The Best Of R.E.M.", I've totally backflipped! :oyea:
I don't know what happened, maybe I wasn't listening to their music seriously enough. :uh:
For some unknown reason the music on there is more appealing to me now than when I first listened to the album.
I'm not even sure when I got The Best Of R.E.M. it feels like I might of had it for a good 10 years and all I know it was before their Vol 2 album came out.

The+Best+Of+REM.jpg

These are the tracks from that album which standout for me:

* Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars)
* Radio Free Europe
* So, Central Rain (I'm Sorry)
* (Don't Go Back To) Rockville
* Pretty Persuasion
* Green Grow The Rushes
* Driver 8
* Fall On Me
* Cuyahoga
* The One I Love
* Finest Worksong

As you can see there's 11 songs out of a possible 16 which I really like :bow:

I was wondering given I like the 3 songs from their Second Album - Reckoning, I was wondering what the other songs were like. Perhaps I can appreciate that album too?

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Reckoning has a few other great songs
7 Chinese brothers, harborcoat, camera, little America, letter never sent

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1