R. E. M. (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
REM is an Indie band that formed in 1980. REM is one of the pioneers of the Indie movement of the 80's, although they are now with a major label, Warner Brothers.

the original band line-up:

Michael Stipe (lead vocals)
Peter Buck (guitar)
Mike Mills (bass guitar)
Bill Berry (drums and percussion)

Berry left the band in 1997, retiring to become a farmer.

The Debut album "Murmer" is one that no Indie fan should be without.

My favorite album by REM was released in 2001, "Reveal" This album is very mellow, and the lyrics and vocals are very beautiful and heartfelt.

R%5B1%5D.E.M.+-+Reveal+front.jpg

Removed dead videos

Does anyone else know this band? Comments?

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Re: R.e.m.

Magic wrote:

Does anyone else know this band? Comments?

I love REM for Shiny Happy People, Losing My Religion, Man on the Moon & Everybody Hurts.

What's strange about REM though is I like those later songs compared to their earlier songs. Sure those are merely big hit songs they had, I only know them cause I've heard it on the radio, but if someone can say what the albums are like for which those songs came from, then I'd be interested. I think from memory Man on the Moon and Everybody Hurts are from the same album, so I guess that could be a start to see if I like the rest of the album.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Everybody Hurts and Man on the Moon are from this album:

41ul9L91QUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

another killer album from REM :D

Losing My Religion and Shiny Happy People are from this album:

1ea1c060ada04fe2a824a110.L._AA300_.jpg

Another really good album.

Let me know what you think of the entire albums CP/M when you get them. Or you could write reviews!!!

Reaction score

I will listen to this band, but they are definately not my favorite, they are very nice to listen to every once in a while, and a good band, but eh, not my thing for the most part
I really like Man in the Moon though

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

eberg15101 wrote:

I will listen to this band, but they are definately not my favorite, they are very nice to listen to every once in a while, and a good band, but eh, not my thing for the most part
I really like Man in the Moon though

Man on the Moon gives me goosebumps everytime I listen to it! :D

Check this out! :)

Reaction score

I want to listen to that so bad, I've been on a big springsteen kick lately, but I screwed up my audio output on my comptuer:rolleyes:

made a computer help thread down in offtopic if anyone wants to help haha, umm... ugh, I want to listen to that, I looked at the related videos and it showed a video of REM and springsteen doing born to run :mad:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

I really like "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M. Evidently the name stands for Rapid Eye Movement.

:****:

Oblivion

Reaction score

REM is one of those typical bands that everyone kinda likes. o_O I have no clue how they do it...

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Oblivion wrote:

REM is one of those typical bands that everyone kinda likes. o_O I have no clue how they do it...

Well I love Shiny Happy People because it has a riff simular to something you hear in a song Gene Clark did with the Gosdin Brothers in 1967 called "So You Say You Lost Your Baby" - well it's not the same, but it has that old tune feeling about it and there's Guitars & Violins in both of those songs. Everybody Hurts just touches me cause it's just such a moving song. Man on The Moon just sounds so catchy with a catchy chorus and it's like the verses are unimportant with all the yeah, yeah, yeah, yeahs in it! :D Losing My Religion I must confess I haven't heard for yonks. I used to like the song though, though forget what caught my attention with it - need to listen to it again! :D

Oblivion

Reaction score

MP Edit: Video removed from Youtube

:) Thread wouldn't be complete without it..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online