Post your latest CD/DVD/Vinyl/Cassette purchases here!

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
Went out record shopping a couple times this week, and picked out these six:

“What About Me” Quicksilver Messenger Service (1970) “Carolina Dreams” The Marshall Tucker Band (1977)
“Bless It’s Pointed Little Head” The Jefferson Airplane (1969)
“The Pretender” Jackson Browne (1976)
“Tour De Force” 38 Special (1983)
“Brightside” The Lumineers (2022)

200FDEC4-6592-4E40-BB8F-198274EB4A1D.jpeg

70sProgFan

Reaction score
Went out record shopping a couple times this week, and picked out these six:

“What About Me” Quicksilver Messenger Service (1970) “Carolina Dreams” The Marshall Tucker Band (1977)
“Bless It’s Pointed Little Head” The Jefferson Airplane (1969)
“The Pretender” Jackson Browne (1976)
“Tour De Force” 38 Special (1983)
“Brightside” The Lumineers (2022)

View attachment 212076
I'm intrigued...
I have my records stored in a very similar way.
Do you have them in plastic protective sleeves?
Or do you just stack them on the shelves "as is"?
I always wonder whether I'm spending extra £££s on unnecessary plastic sleeves.

And what do others think?

70sProgFan

Reaction score
Now this one might spark a bit of discussion...

R.jpg

I'm a long-time fan of ELP but I had never heard this album, being wary of the reputation that it has.
Having skipped this I did buy 'In The Hot Seat' and 'Black Moon' on CD back in the 90s and I have to say that I really quite like them, even though I know that die-hard fans hate those too.

But this one I have always ducked - until yesterday, when I found three copies in a second-hand vinyl shop.
At just £3 I was willing to give it a go...

I'd agree with the general consensus that the first side is dire with the notable exception of Emerson's 'Canario', but the second side suite - 'Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman' is really quite standard ELP and is very enjoyable.

Last edited:

70sProgFan

Reaction score
Ni5qcGVn.jpgMC03NTMxLmpwZWc.jpgMC04NTMxLmpwZWc.jpgOC5qcGVn.jpg

Now, my posting all of those images will mean rock all to the US members of this forum as this is the US release of the album, one which they will be well accustomed to. But what you have to understand is that here in the UK we've only ever had a single sleeve version of this 1975 prog-rock gem with enlarged graphics of the original front and back engravings, and omitting the gatefold centre completely. (You can look up our pitiful issue on Discogs if you wish).
My long-time UK copy also had a warp on it which, when coupled with my "new" 1970s Rotel deck, caused the tone-arm to leap out of the grooves, so it quickly became apparent that I needed to find a new copy of one of my favourite albums.
I found this on eBay with the vendor asking £25 (free p&p) but I managed to beat him down to £20 which is still an excellent price for such a cult classic.
I am now thrilled to own this gatefold version housed in a very sturdy, stiff, textured card sleeve with all the beautiful 1845 engravings.
It's not perfect - there is light background noise between tracks and the vinyl surface looks messy, but it has been professionally cleaned and the music plays beautifully.

And if you've never heard anything by Pavlov's Dog then I recommend that you give them a spin but, he warned - David Surkamp's vocals take those of Geddy Lee and ramp them up yet further!
Certainly a bit of an acquired taste, but one worth having.
Their second album, 'At The Sound Of The Bell' is a cracker too...

Last edited:

70sProgFan

Reaction score
Vinyl again...

£7.99 in HMV sale - absolute bargain!!

R-11896624-1524332519-2670.mpo.jpg

And this next one was second-hand, lovely condition, just £8.00...

R.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online