popular bands that you hate

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
What, Silverchair? A band with half a good album to their credit?

I think I'm talking about something else.

You are! I was using the Boo thing towards Riff about that band. That's the one part of it that interested me and I like the whole bands catalog but particularly when they got away from Grunge and got more of an identity. Sooo the half a good album doesn't nearly apply to me. :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
vikings_duels.jpg
:heheh: That's more like it.

And on someone not trying it, no one should be making that assumption. Just accept they don't like a certain band and just move on. Plenty of bands in this thread I like that were mentioned but no big deal. Its good that there are so many people here with diverse tastes in music.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I'm guessing they didn't. From experience.

Moreover, it is hip to 'hate' classic stuff to distinguish yourself. I'm sure you are personally aware of the concept.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are people who do that of course because I have seen it first hand but I won't tar everyone with the same brush. Plenty don't like some classic bands I do but who cares? Hipsters come and go. Different story if they hated a band but also didn't respect their relevance or impact to music. There are bands I hate but I respect what they did for music and people who enjoy their stuff.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm guessing they didn't. From experience.

Moreover, it is hip to 'hate' classic stuff to distinguish yourself. I'm sure you are personally aware of the concept.

There's lots of things it hip to hate. There was some guy saying that people only hated Nickelback because is was cool to hate them. There's no group so amazing that they're going to fit everyone's taste. I've listened through and own all of Zeps stuff but there's nothing of there's that I thirst for when I'm reaching to revisit albums. Then again if you take another celebrated artist like Elton John I LOVE and get a lot out of his old catalog. It's easy to pick and choose and have different results. Unless you're outright going out of your way to bash artist it's likely pretty genuine and lacking an agenda to simply not like an artists whole catalog.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I don't really understand that post. You are saying it's ok to hate everything Zeppelin has ever done because....yet you personally don't see a reason to bash Elton John because...

Yes, strawman argument but what the hell? We are obliged to like Elton John but not Zeppelin?

I don't believe anyone is obliged to like anything (remember, I grew up in an age when if you said you loved metal but hated Motley Crue you were looked at sideways) but I find it suspicious when I hear someone damning a large catalog when they like very similar music.

You aren't helping by speaking in her stead.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I don't know if I hate them, but Jackson Browne and ZZTop sounds like one monotonous, never ending drone to me.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I don't really understand that post. You are saying it's ok to hate everything Zeppelin has ever done because....yet you personally don't see a reason to bash Elton John because...

Yes, strawman argument but what the hell? We are obliged to like Elton John but not Zeppelin?

I don't believe anyone is obliged to like anything (remember, I grew up in an age when if you said you loved metal but hated Motley Crue you were looked at sideways) but I find it suspicious when I hear someone damning a large catalog when they like very similar music.

You aren't helping by speaking in her stead.

I was saying that I was more indifferent to a lot of Zep stuff but the point is there isn't any agenda behind not liking any songs from a band regardless of how respected or huge the band is. I gave an example with Elton John that you can be indifferent to some highly rate force in music and not just be THAT guy who hates everything of that nature. If people were in that bandwagon then they'd hate every classic 70's era acclaimed artist. There's really no science to what people like or don't but I hate when it's treated like a farce if someone doesn't like a single song by any particular band.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I get that, but when I look at what else she likes I wonder how much of their catalog she's heard. I'm not saying it's impossible just that there are many bands I keep hearing bashed on a regular basis for no other reason than they are immensely popular and what the person is really saying is 'I don't like MOST of their catalog'.

Maybe it's a communication disconnect.

I don't like Van Halen

But I love a FEW of their songs.

I was posting what I did to seek clarity. It's how you learn what people are really saying.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I get that, but when I look at what else she likes I wonder how much of their catalog she's heard. I'm not saying it's impossible just that there are many bands I keep hearing bashed on a regular basis for no other reason than they are immensely popular and what the person is really saying is 'I don't like MOST of their catalog'.

Maybe it's a communication disconnect.

I don't like Van Halen

But I love a FEW of their songs.

I was posting what I did to seek clarity. It's how you learn what people are really saying.

Fair enough! :cheers:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online

No members online now.