Poison (Official Thread)

Recky

Reaction score
ahhh....hairy metal...and these blokes , it can be argued, are the kings thereof....I do like meself a large chunk of Poison, maybe not so much around the richie kotzen times...but none the less a great band, saw them in St Louis back in 2007, rocking gig, they had not slowed down a smidge since the Sydney Entertainment centre gig...YEARS ago....ilke their originals, i like their covers , HELL i just dig 'em

Balance

Reaction score
Are you kidding me, only 3 pages for POISON? Where's the love? I recall seeing these boys in Oakland, California. They opened for David Lee Roth on the Skyscraper Tour. I didn't really know too much of the group but remembered vividly being mesmerized and eyes fixed, watching this bleach-blond boy with an afro, going off like a mad on his guitar. Yes, I'm referring to C.C. Deville! He was a monster on the lead. That same year glam rock was in full force.

Recky

Reaction score
BretMichaelsRockMyWorld.jpg
[/IMG]
hollyweird.jpg
[/IMG]

Just picked up these two...not bad, I like Brets solo album slightly better...BUT...too much Poison is never enough

opera races

Reaction score
Interesting this thread got bumped up just as I happened to get out my cassette of Open Up and Say Ahh! that I bought back in 1988 out and listened to it. I'm pretty sure I haven't listened to that album or any other album by Poison that I have in almost 10 years ... not that I'm trying to imply anything in a bad way. To say the least it was interesting to listen to having a different perspective 10 years later and having learned a lot more about music from a descriptive point of view.

Poison was one of many of the 80's pop metal/"hair bands" I pretty much had no visual impression of when they were at their peak. I bought the cassette mainly because I'd heard a few songs from the album on the radio that I liked. The funny and scary thing is that I could still sing along with most of the songs if I'd wanted to! Open Up ... is actually a pretty good album. But I would say the music lacks complexity compared to most of what I'm usually into. Not in a bad way ... I get it that for the most part this is "party music" not to be taken too seriously.

I also got out and listened to a CD I'm pretty sure I also haven't listened to in about 10 years this one:

superd_1108657.gif

I'm think I bought this around 1999 or so when Poison was going through a revival and CC was back in the band. At that point I found out what they looked like :heheh: and learned more about the band and their history.

Reading the previous posts I noticed the comments about the band seeming to put more effort in their earlier work. One comment I have to make about the Greatest Hits album has to do with the CD booklet or liner notes. What I found somewhat endearing at the time I first got the CD and now too is that there is commentary by Bret Michaels on every song basically about the story behind each song and/or how it came to be written. I enjoy and eat up stuff like that. In this case it shows me that someone cares about their songs and also equates to me as being effort. It's also occurred to me that it takes a bit of effort to make "party music" that's good. Then for simple and what sounds to me (for lack of a better term) fairly basic arrangements to come off well, some effort needs to go into that too. Also the slower and more serious songs are a bit of a revelation. I think one senses some heart and thought going into them which to me also equates to effort.

Again it was interesting listening to the CD after not having listened to it in an extra long time and knowing more now about music than I did then. And again, it was both weird and funny how I still know the lyrics to most of the songs. It's actually a good collection of tunes. I'm ALMOST tempted to write up a review of this CD ... we'll see!

Besides the Open Up ... cassette and Greatest Hits CD I also have Look What The Cat Dragged in on CD, Open Up ... on CD, and Flesh & Blood on cassette. I actually remember I found the Flesh & Blood cassette at a Goodwill. I was curious about the album ... Anyway, listening to it while I was out and about today I discovered that the audio is not in very good condition! Oh well ... used cassettes = coin toss. I had listened to it before years ago. Flesh & Blood for the most part seems a bit more serious than the first two Poison records and a pretty decent album. I had Power To The People at one point (new) but wasn't terribly impressed with it and sold it.

Anyway, I think the thing with me & Poison is I didn't ever buy into them image-wise or get into them as a "fan" or follow them as a live band. I critique them by what I hear from them on their albums not what I see.

Scotty Baboon

Banned
Reaction score
Poison... hells yeah! Finally I found as music forum that respects this band. I guess that I've been "hooked" on Poison ever since I heard Bret say "C.C. pick up that guitar and talk to me." Just think if they were to have kept their old name, Paris, there would be alot of Paris Hilton cracks on them.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
CC DeVille can definitely make the guitar talk!!

His solo album/band Samantha 7 released a S/T album in 2000. The music is not Glam Metal, but still decent.

Samantha 7 ~ Cover Girl

I don't know if you have seen the movie "Son-in-Law", but CC did a cover of "Hey Good Lookin" which was excellent.

Reaction score
I love Poison, with Warrant, Danger Danger, Tuff... they did authentic party rock!!!
I have all their albums until Crack a smile with Blues Saraceno.
In the past my favourite album was "Open Up", all the songs are perfect, but today I prefer the "Native Tongue" a cd with Kotzen. Is more mature and the guitar sound is amazing, even, the look is more serious...The sound is less "glam for teen" and more rock blues, a sound more raw, with this cd, they adapted his sound to the 90's, but!!, this cd Isn't Poison, is Kotzen with Poison.

By the way, I remember that in a magazine CC was considered the worst guitarrist on world...
I like CC for a glam band, he gets a funny sound, but Blues Saraceno or Ritchie Kotzen are virtuous guitars.
Sadly, the band fired up to Ritchie Kotzen (great song writer, great guitar, and great voice, better than Brett), but actually Poison is a Glam Band and they needs to CC. The people who goes to the Poison concert want" Talk dirty to me", not the "Native Tongue" songs.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tidied up some posts in the thread including videos. It has been awhile since I heard Poison but liked when Metal Evolution brought them up.

metalife

Reaction score
T It has been awhile since I heard Poison but liked when Metal Evolution brought them up.

Metal Evolution was a great documentary series. Sam Dunn did mention that glam metal never progressed of had a serious revival. There is, however, a large amount of bands coming out of Finland and Sweden in the past decade that are heavily influenced by the 80s bands of the sunset strip.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online