"Pink Floyd" Pulse

Khor1255

Reaction score
^ I saw some footage from Pompeii on the interweb yesterday. It was quite eerie as Floyd did not have an audience. Echoes was divided into two parts and there were some interesting interviews with the band. Certainly the music and vocals were good, because the Meddle/Dark Side-era was their best (imo).
I forgot they did that. It was unfortunate they cut that tune in two.

Also, LG....for shame....

Just kidding. If you like that era of Pink Floyd and don't much care for really live music I guess that would be more your speed. They were way more polished when I finally went to see them (Momentary Lapse of Reason tour). I greatly prefer the unpolished version, even the Syd Barrett crazy improv footage. But then I think a really good band almost always sounds better live and raw.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
In reply to the original post: Yeah, Pulse can be a bit "clinical" but you have to remember they were touring for a hell of a long time at that point and probably were looking forward to a bit of a vacation. I guess there could have been a bit of going through the motions.

I collect a lot of bootlegs from all phases of the Floyd's career and the shows that are the most amazing and passionate are the ones from 1968- 1972.

Before Dark Side. Before they became stars. Before they were selling out 50,000 seat arenas. You could hear a pin drop the audiences were so quiet and respectful, well in most cases. And the Floyd were letting it rip. Every song was extended to at least 15 minutes with heavy improvisation. Actually, the Floyd were a very well rehearsed band. They didn't just improv on the spot. Most of it was quite calculated. But damn it's good. :D

Anyway, LG you really should get Pompeii. It's outstanding.

A few tracks...

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I've never heard The Delicate Sound of Thunder, but I would imagine it to be good. I always liked A Momentary Lapse of Reason anyway.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It never made it to DVD Martin, but I kept my VHS tape, they released Pulse a couple years later with a slightly different/extended set list.

But no other tape I ever played for friends coming over had the visceral effect that DSOT did, literally they were awestruck once it started playing.

Khor, Architect I will think about getting Pompeii one of these days, along with Gdansk. I do enjoy a raw live concert as much as the next guy as long as the production values are not totally rubbish that is.

Years ago when PF played here on the Division Bell tour a whole gang of us went, then the next summer the Stones came to town and we all went to that show. The consensus among all of us was PF was a much better concert all round, that's not taking anything away from the Stones but just passing along what we thought. It was a great 2 year stretch for Alberta and the prairies to see 2 massive bands like that fulfilled one of my last 'bucket list' requirements.:)

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Gdansk is excellent as well. It's fun to see David and Rick playing together again especially since its Rick's last live performance.

Echoes is a standout. :D

LaurieLoz

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day"
Reaction score
Pulse is an excellent recording, the sound being spot on and a perfect memento from that final tour.

I haven't watched Delicate Sound of Thunder for a very long time. In fact I still only have it on VHS (try getting hold of it on DVD...it's virtually impossible in the UK!)

Just another query: I find it very strange that no live concerts have ever appeared from Pink Floyd's "classic years". In fact, since the original Pompeii in 1972, there isn't any live material on DVD. Very odd.

bbif

Reaction score
I recall DG talking (maybe on UK radio 1 ) & saying that they wanted Pulse to be as accurate a rendition of the songs as they could possibly make it. Don't think there's much argument that they succeeded in that. Warts & all recordings tend to lose their appeal over time, I think, and that's what DG was alluding to.

Having been at 2 of the nights at Earl's Court & also the Amsterdam Arena, I'm happy to confirm the band played their hearts out. Being able to reproduce your sound live shouldn't be considered a failing, imho.

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
Pulse, along with The Delicate Sound Of Thunder are historical documents of my two favorite concerts that I have ever attended.
(both in Toronto, Ontario)

I think Pulse is alright... pretty good, actually.
There is no comparison to being there in person, but THAT is almost impossible to capture in any format.

MickJagger

Reaction score
I like "Pulse". That said I have 24 albums, DVDs, and CD's by Pink Floyd. I bought the big box set of Pink Floyd recordings. It also had a book of pictures and written material.

I really hate it when the band broke off. It was too many big egos in one studio.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online