"Pink Floyd" Pulse

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Anyone else think it's all flash and little substance? It just seems so dead. ...uninspired. The only time you get a rise out of the audience is when they play a real Floyd song. Only parts I even remotely enjoyed were Gilmour and Renwick's solos.

Folks in the first few rows are probably still seeing chiropractors.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
...:think: I disagree, although I do like Delicate Sound of Thunder more than Pulse they are both fabulous Pink Floyd experiences. The lack of reaction you mentioned is probably being awestruck more than anything else, that's what happened to everyone who watched my PF videos on my reference system too. Pink Floyd is sort of like Supertramp when they play live, they are trying to get as close to studio quality sound as humanly possible.

I'll never forget seeing them back in the 90's on the Division Bell tour the greatest "spectacle" I've ever seen.:bow:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I always thought Pulse was so well engineered that the audience was mostly unheard on purpose.

I love the album myself & have one of the original "flashing LED" copies.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
Anyone else think it's all flash and little substance? It just seems so dead. ...uninspired. The only time you get a rise out of the audience is when they play a real Floyd song. Only parts I even remotely enjoyed were Gilmour and Renwick's solos.

Folks in the first few rows are probably still seeing chiropractors.

Having attending both shows from that tour in Michigan, you couldn't be more wrong. But what's the point in trying to convince you otherwise.

I always thought Pulse was so well engineered that the audience was mostly unheard on purpose.

I love the album myself & have one of the original "flashing LED" copies.

I just changed to the 4th set of batteries in my copy last night.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I saw my last PF show in the late 80s. I don't remember being so thoroughly bored and I love the 'classic' songs. Even those were blanded down so severely as to lose all suspense or fire.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I own a slightly later non-flashing version of Pulse - are the originals still flashing? I thought Pulse was a bit clinical, but wasn't it made for laser disc (I think 'pulse' has something to do with the way laser discs work)? I still enjoy the album nevertheless and really like the live version of Dark Side. Guy Pratt (son of cult actor Mike) plays bass and Tim Renwick was always underrated, so they don't miss Waters at all. Rick Wright is present, which is essential.

Did they perform Echoes as part of those shows? None of the varous configurations contain the track to my knowledge.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Might be referring to "PCM" which stands for "Pulse Code Modulation" the digital signal from a CD/DVD player.

I lost my flashing LED CD copy of Pulse in a burglary 15 years ago, my replacement copy didn't have the lights. But I have the DVD now so that's what I listen to usually when I want my Pulse fix.

No expert but I don't know if they have ever performed "Echoes" live, certainly not after the split with Roger anyway.

I loved seeing the band in concert, I knew exactly what kind of show it would be and the band was excellent all round.:bow:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
All burglars deserve to be eaten by a crocodile in my opinion.

Maybe they never did perform Echoes as Pink Floyd. I'm no expert either (I've never been to a Pink Foyd show). Dave Gilmour and Rick Wright did an amazing version on Live at Gdansk, but it is not under the Pink Floyd name.

The cassette version of Pulse had a good version of One of These Days and a track called Soundscape. To my knowledge they are only on an 18-disc boot called A Tree Full of Secrets. My bandwidth is pretty good, but not unlimited, so I'll have to make do without that one. As the tracks were on the cassette, you would think the band would add them as bonuses to the Pulse CD or to a compilation, but Floyd always were mean (as with the individual tracks saga of The Wall on iTunes for example).

An official release of Live at KQED Studios in San Francisco (April 1970) is long overdue too.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
^^Might be referring to "PCM" which stands for "Pulse Code Modulation" the digital signal from a CD/DVD player.

I lost my flashing LED CD copy of Pulse in a burglary 15 years ago, my replacement copy didn't have the lights. But I have the DVD now so that's what I listen to usually when I want my Pulse fix.

No expert but I don't know if they have ever performed "Echoes" live, certainly not after the split with Roger anyway.

I loved seeing the band in concert, I knew exactly what kind of show it would be and the band was excellent all round.:bow:

They played Echoes on the AMLOR tour for the first 11 shows, but they didn't rehearse enough. It was dropped from the setlist after the first show in Rosemont, IL if my memory serves me correct. So they bumped Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V from the Second Encore, to the Opener on that 2nd night.

Gilmour and Wright played Echoes on Gilmour's solo tour.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online