Pink Floyd Announce Reissues of Two ’80s Albums on Vinyl

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
floydalbs.jpg
Pink Floyd have announced reissues of two albums from the ‘80s that will be available on vinyl for the first time in more than two decades.

A Collection of Great Dance Songs and Delicate Sound of Thunder mark the continuation of Pink Floyd Records’ re-release program, which already includes the band’s remastered studio catalog on 180g vinyl. The new sets will be available on Nov. 17.

A Collection of Great Dance Songs arrived in 1981 and included some alternate mixes along with classic tracks from the ban’d past, including “Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2),” “Money,” “Comfortably Numb,” “Wish You Were Here,” “Run Like Hell” and “Shine on You Crazy Diamond.”

Delicate Sound of Thunder, which was released in 1988, was recorded live in New York, and went on to become the first album played in space when Soviet astronauts took a copy aboard the Soyuz TM-7 mission to the Mir space station that same year. Floyd members David Gilmour and Nick Mason attended the TM-7 launch in France and recorded audio there for possible future use.

You can see the track listings for both albums below.

Meanwhile, Gilmour’s new concert DVD and CD, Live at Pompeii, has debuted two years after the release of his most recent solo album, Rattle That Lock. The movie documents the guitarist’s return to the ancient Roman city 45 years after Pink Floyd shot a movie there. “It’s an extraordinary place to be, because it’s preserved exactly as it was,” he said of the amphitheater, which last hosted an audience in 79AD. “If you visit any other antiquity-type sites throughout the world, they’re very damaged with what’s gone on over the centuries since their were abandoned. This one was just sealed, so you’re looking at rock surfaces, and the carving of letters and names in the stones looks like it was done yesterday.”

Pink Floyd, ‘A Collection of Great Dance Songs’ Track Listing“One Of These Days”
“Money” (Re-recored in 1981)
“Sheep”
“Shine On You Crazy Diamond” (edit)
“Wish You Were Here”
“Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)” (edit)

Pink Floyd, ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ Track Listing
“Shine On You Crazy Diamond”
“Learning To Fly”
“Yet Another Movie”
“Round And Around”
“Sorrow”
“The Dogs Of War”
“On The Turning Away”
“One Of These Days”
“Time”
“Wish You Were Here”
“Us And Them”
“Money”
“Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)”
“Comfortably Numb”
“Run Like Hell”

Read More: Pink Floyd Announce Reissues of Two '80s Albums on Vinyl | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-great-dance-songs-delicate-sound-vinyl/?trackback=tsmclip

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Delicate Sound of Thunder is an incredible live album, one of my all time faves. Re-releasing this is cool

But, Collection of Great Dance Songs? Why? Weird, f'd up versions of songs. This album is good for one thing, introducing people to PF that don't know anything about them (if that's possible), otherwise, this album (which is basically an edited best-of EP) is pretty wonky.

LaurieLoz

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day"
Reaction score
A DVD of Delicate would have been nice as well. Has there ever been one, I'm not sure?!

bbif

Reaction score
A DVD of Delicate would have been nice as well. Has there ever been one, I'm not sure?!

No official mainstream release Laurie, just a few overpriced VHS to DVD burns, of dubious quality. Really not worth the money, and I say that as a MASSIVE Floyd fan.
Surprised they haven't remastered to coincide with the albums, but I guess it's been overlooked due to the ongoing success of Pulse

LaurieLoz

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day"
Reaction score
No official mainstream release Laurie, just a few overpriced VHS to DVD burns, of dubious quality. Really not worth the money, and I say that as a MASSIVE Floyd fan.
Surprised they haven't remastered to coincide with the albums, but I guess it's been overlooked due to the ongoing success of Pulse
Yeah it's understandable I guess.
I think I mentioned it briefly elsewhere, but there really is a shortfall of live DVDs across the entire history of Pink Floyd - except for the late 60's.
Anyone (such as EMI) with a hint of business sense would surely put out some classic concerts from Floyd's 70s glory years. There is nothing official.
Their contemporaries - Led Zepp, The Who, The Stones etc have all been very well represented by concert film.
I just find it very strange tbh.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online