Pick a band, any band!

F

FoxyPage

I thought this would be a fairly cool idea and a good way to get people to experiment with bands.

I'll use black metal, for my example, since I know a lot of people are a bit afraid of it, lol (you don't have to pick this genre, I am just using it to explain the thread).

Go on youtube, type in 'black metal', pick any song, post it here and give your thoughts on it (what you liked about it, what you didn't like about it, etc.) Make sure it's a band you have never listened to before. Doesn't matter if it is a genre you have heard before, that's okay, just mainly focusing on the band, though it would be interesting to read views from people who are trying genres they have never tried before.

I'll just type up a quick list of genres so people who want to try a new one know what to type in:

techno
trance
rave
dance
folk metal
avant garde
metalcore
doom metal
black metal
electronica
pop
heavy metal
folk (different from folk metal)
death metal
gothic metal
deathcore
mathcore
progressive
classic rock
grind
crust
psychedelic rock
jazz
blues
rap
RnB
hip hop

Just some of the things you can look for. I'll start.

Genre: Psychedelic Rock
Band: The Chocolate Watchband
Song: Dark Side of the Mushroom

Short and sweet but I LOVED it! It will certainly appeal to the older crowd and anyone who loves classic 60's/70's era tunes, as well as those of you who like to smoke some green. I have a feeling these guys sing a lot about drugs and this song was pretty trippy in itself. No singing, just music. It made me want to sit back in my chair and relax. I got lost in the music and forgot all about the problems of the world. Definately a band that I would look further into. The length of the song was a little too short for me and I was hoping to stay in that happy world a little longer, but, at the same time, the short length of the tune made me want more and got me interested in discovering what else this band has to offer.

Great song, would definatley recommend!

8/10.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Good idea Foxy! I tried Rave!

Basshunter-Angel In The Night

It didn't go well on this one. I always knew Rave was very repetitive which is why I stray from it but this guy made it worse by making the beats so light and basically making a Rave pop song that lacks enough energy to justify the dance floor environment it would be played on. I'm being generous with a 2/10! :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Every self-respecting music fan knows Basshunter is terrible S&S, so that's a fair rating! :heheh:

I'm going to go with avant garde, because it sounds pretty cool.

It looks like electonic classical! A woman with a cello hooked up to a computer, definitely not what I had in mind. It sounds pretty good though, the melodies are nice and when she plays the fast bits of the song it's good to get the feet tapping. Now I see how it works, the sounds are recorded, and repeated as the song goes on, creating a very nice build up effect. It's definitely a good listen, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to find, I wouldn't listen to it all the time either. For that I'll give it a 7/10, but it was quite fun in the end :D

F

FoxyPage

Awesome, guys, thanks for trying this out!

Genre: Rave/Techno
Artist: DJ Mangoo
Song: Inside You

Meh, it was okay. It doesn't sound any different from every other rave/techno song. Same beat throughout 95% of the song, got a bit boring, would probably be better if it were blasting with some good base at a party but it would still get boring fast. Not really impressed. 4/10.

Reaction score
Genre: Folk
Artist: Liu Fang and Ziya Tabassian
Song: The night of bonfire festival

I thought this was very cool. Very relaxing music. Perhaps it would sound even better if you smoked a little green before-hand. 7/10

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Melodic and upbeat... hypnotic... a bit high pitched for my tastes.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

So much emotion from those strings.
Makes me think about the motion of nature.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Rave:
Prophet Omega
Hit The Deck

I like Rave.. but this one is weak.. Shitty...:nw:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member